Ten Commandments Controversy Moves West

Hannitized said:
Thanks Moi!!!
But the police department isn't dishing out Religious pamplets or Preaching or anything. It's a statue in the yard that's been there for how many years. Grant it, there isn't any other Religions statues out there, then let those Religions donate something of theirs instead of removing one that's already in place.
This guy (in the article) is an athiest, he can't be upset because his religion isn't out there too, he doesn't have one. If the police department was out their Preaching the Commandments to passer-bys, then I'd understand. As it is, if this guy doesn't like it, DON'T look at it, just like I'm going to be told to do if I start complaining about the gay channel I just read about on the other thread. If I complain, I'll be told, "Don't watch it". Shouldn't the same go for this guy, or am I totally missing the point, lol.
Although I agree in theory about the "don't read it part", there is the fact that public money paid for one that it didn't pay for all. Clearly that shows a preference. The gay tv channel isn't on public lands, you don't have to watch it before entering a public building, etc.

Again, I'm not saying I agree with removing all religious mentions from public- but I clearly understand why it bothers people who don't support that religion (or none at all).

Moi said:
Although I agree in theory about the "don't read it part", there is the fact that public money paid for one that it didn't pay for all. Clearly that shows a preference. The gay tv channel isn't on public lands, you don't have to watch it before entering a public building, etc.

Again, I'm not saying I agree with removing all religious mentions from public- but I clearly understand why it bothers people who don't support that religion (or none at all).
It was donated by the Fraternal Order of Eagles. So, the government didn't purchase it to be out there. Others could donate their own. I would be very upset if theirs were then refused though!
I am not trying to argue this with you, honestly, I hope it doesn't seem that way. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all that you have!! :beer:

Hannitized said:
It was donated by the Fraternal Order of Eagles. So, the government didn't purchase it to be out there. Others could donate their own. I would be very upset if theirs were then refused though!
I am not trying to argue this with you, honestly, I hope it doesn't seem that way. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain all that you have!! :beer:
I was speaking in general about why people have a problem with religious expressions in the public domain.

Again, I don't think this particular monument needs to be removed; nor, most of the already existing religious references (dare I say on money) be erased.

And I don't think you are agrumentative...we're having a discussion. Nothing progesses without that!

I'd like to address a few remarks to matts and Bully.

matts:

"Morality is subjective and relative". That statement is truly tragic. Another statement you're fond of goes something like, " I should be free to do as I please, so long as I don't bring harm to others". Let me ask you something. In the absence of objective morality - of some hard, immutable concept of right and wrong which exists outside yourself, how on earth can you determine what "harm" is?

Sexual perversion, such as homosexuality, is demonstrably harmful to society. While homosexuals comprise only 3% of the population of the U.S., they commit 30% of child molestations ( yes - I saw the Kinsey Institute's "refutation" of that study. Their answer? Those figures are wrong, because - get this - they don't factor in BISEXUALITY! Are you shitting me? This is an answer??!!!). What do you think the further codification and legitimization of homosexuality is going to do to those numbers - improve them?

No great civilization has ever been built upon your worldview, matts - although a few notable ones have been torn down. I sincerely hope you grow out of it someday, for it is the philosophy of the true reprobate.

Bully:

You seem to sum up your worldview like this: " My morality is based in real-life consequences - Here....Now.". That statement must make sense to you on some level; I've seen you post it at least half a dozen times. And, half a dozen times, I've asked you a question. Maybe today, I'll get an answer.

If you commit murder and get away with it, there ARE no real-life consequences - here....now. Who, then, is to say that your action was wrong? It CAN'T have been wrong - there were no consequences! What is society to do - hope that you're really an all right guy who just flew off the handle for a minute? Rest easy in the knowledge that your conscience must be killing you? Hell - why should it?

Guys, by denying an objective concept of right and wrong, which exists apart from, and irrespective of, earthly consequences, you're putting the cart way, way before the horse - and the headway you're making reflects it.

some of you are very foolish...and very blind...

(sigh)

Nobody is FORCED to read or believe anything. NO government office is in ANY way forcing or condoning religion - simply acknowledging the roots of it's foundations - parts of its history.

-=d=- said:
some of you are very foolish...and very blind...

(sigh)

Nobody is FORCED to read or believe anything. NO government office is in ANY way forcing or condoning religion - simply acknowledging the roots of it's foundations - parts of its history.
Actually, you are blind too. For to the victor go the spoils. If those who wish to outlaw any reference to any or to one deity or religion in the public venue, using public money continue to utilize legal means necessary to stop it they will win.

Since there are many more people in this country who don't follow the specific religion prevalent during the founding times than there were then, this is certainly possible (I might even say probable).

Doesn't make either the first one nor the final one right, doesn't make either wrong. It just means that the will of the people will prevail.

Moi said:
I was speaking in general about why people have a problem with religious expressions in the public domain.

Again, I don't think this particular monument needs to be removed; nor, most of the already existing religious references (dare I say on money) be erased.

And I don't think you are agrumentative...we're having a discussion. Nothing progesses without that!
Thanks again Moi! In general, I would probably agree, depending on the circumstances, that it may be offensive to some. It's just this particular case, I just don't get, LOL!

Moi said:
Actually, you are blind too. .

Oooh! nice comeback!
:rolleyes:

Moi said:
For to the victor go the spoils. If those who wish to outlaw any reference to any or to one deity or religion in the public venue, using public money continue to utilize legal means necessary to stop it they will win.

Since there are many more people in this country who don't follow the specific religion prevalent during the founding times than there were then, this is certainly possible (I might even say probable).

Doesn't make either the first one nor the final one right, doesn't make either wrong. It just means that the will of the people will prevail.

No - it means the will of activist judges will prevail. Will of the people? hah... That's not even PART of the issue. What's driving this is the will of the minority of US citizens - and the vast majority's fear of (gasp) offending them. This was NOT purchased with public money - read the story again....it was 'donated'. That means, it was free to the city. :)

It was donated by the Fraternal Order of Eagles in 1959

-=d=- said:
Oooh! nice comeback!

No - it means the will of activist judges will prevail. Will of the people? hah... That's not even PART of the issue. What's driving this is the will of the minority of US citizens - and the vast majority's fear of (gasp) offending them. This was NOT purchased with public money - read the story again....it was 'donated'. That means, it was free to the city. :)
You read- I specifically stated that I was responding to a general question, not to this monument.

And, I hate to tell you, activist judges or not, the majority will of the people will prevail. The constitution can and has been changed. If the majority have chosen to say nothing and do nothing in preservation of their beliefs the will of the people will have spoken. Even if only through apathy.

-=d=- said:
Oooh! nice comeback!

I created an insightful statue of America Indians being rounded up by some cowboys. I also created a statue of a poor elderly slave being bull whipped casually by a rich-looking, happy plantation owner while the black man's grandchildren stare and cry. Don't worry. All figures are clothed. They don't even have any implied religious connotation. If I donate these statues to "the city" will "the city" display them on public ground? Does this mean that anyone with a monument may donate it to be placed on public land? Wow! The land would be overcrowded in not time. Whether or not it will display the statues is irrelevant.

Who pays for the "public land"? Tax payer pays for the land and its upkeep. Therefore, to a small extent, the taxpayer (myself included) pays to have the "10 Commandments" displayed. I have no objection to someone creating or buying a statue of the "10 Commandments" and displaying them on his own private property. Simply don't have me pay for it an any way, shape, or form.

mattskramer said:
I created an insightful statue of America Indians being rounded up by some cowboys. I also created a statue of a poor elderly slave being bull whipped casually by a rich-looking, happy plantation owner while the black man's grandchildren stare and cry. Don't worry. All figures are clothed. They don't even have any implied religious connotation. If I donate these statues to "the city" will "the city" display them on public ground? Does this mean that anyone with a monument may donate it to be placed on public land? Wow! The land would be overcrowded in not time. Whether or not it will display the statues is irrelevant.

Who pays for the "public land"? Tax payer pays for the land and its upkeep. Therefore, to a small extent, the taxpayer (myself included) pays to have the "10 Commandments" displayed. I have no objection to someone creating or buying a statue of the "10 Commandments" and displaying them on his own private property. Simply don't have me pay for it an any way, shape, or form.

Actually nearly all 'memorials' are donated with private funds, then the government cares for them from that point on.

OCA said:
Matts, I feel sorry for you, I will light a thousand candles for your troubled soul.

LOL - Thanks for the sentiment but it would be better for me if you would help get these patronizing, self-righteous, puritanical busybodies out of my way and tell them to mind their own business.

mattskramer said:
I also created a statue of a poor elderly slave being bull whipped casually by a rich-looking, happy plantation owner while the black man's grandchildren stare and cry.
Wow, Matt, I never thought to compare the 10 Commandments to Slaves being bull whipped. :rolleyes:
10 Rules from God, if you believe in them then they're words to live by, if you don't, how does that hurt you? And comparing this to beating black people while their grandchildren watch on and cry? :rolleyes:
Who pays for the "public land"? Tax payer pays for the land and its upkeep. Therefore, to a small extent, the taxpayer (myself included) pays to have the "10 Commandments" displayed.
Is someone getting paid by the taxpayer (yourself included) to go out and dust the statue? The upkeep would be for the land not the statue. The thing has been there for 45 years and now someones gonna complain? :rolleyes:

We are neither as advanced nor unique as we'd like to think. History is nothing but replay after replay of the same scenario: A diligent, hardworking people build a civilization that thrives and prospers for a time. Eventually, though, the descendants - beneficiaries of that wisdom and self-sacrifice - become arrogant and self-indulgent. Knowing nothing of hardship, they abandon the founding principles of their civilization, and - with depressing predictability - preside over it's collapse.

We are posing questions here that would only occur to a fat, lazy, pampered, and bored people. Our founders - and those who fought to uphold our founding principles - didn't have time for this kind of shit.

Hannitized said:
If you're an athiest (the guy in the article), then you don't believe any of it. Why would you be offended enough to have it removed?
I don't know, I'm seriously asking.

I don't understand it either. That sort of stuff doesn't offend me. I imagine they are offended for one of two reasons.

1.) they aren't secure in their faith

or

2.) they are only 'atheists' because they are rebelling against Christianity

OCA said:
III) THOU SHALT NOT TAKE THE NAME OF THE LORD THY GOD IN VAIN; FOR THE LORD WILL NOT HOLD HIM GUILTLESS THAT TAKETH HIS NAME IN VAIN.
3. Good idea, don't go around saying goddammit and holy fucken Christ all the time.

Actually, I believe a more accurate exaple of breaking the third commandment would be commiting evil in Gods name. Say for instance killing innocents in God's name. That's blasphemy.

Not just saying, 'god damn it'.

musicman said:
If you commit murder and get away with it, there ARE no real-life consequences

I know this was addressed to BP, but I'll take a stab at it.

Someone would be dead. I assume that would be the 'real-life consequnces' he talks about.

Zhukov said:
I don't understand it either. That sort of stuff doesn't offend me. I imagine they are offended for one of two reasons.

or

I agree. If I don't hold with a particular viewpoint, I tend to regard it with indifference. However, these groups display anything BUT indifference. White-hot hatred is more like it. They want every vestige of Christianity removed from sight or earshot - as if it were somehow painful to them. Why this blind, unreasoning fear?

It makes me think of the stereotype cinematic vampire, cringing at the sight of a cross.

musicman said:
I agree. If I don't hold with a particular viewpoint, I tend to regard it with indifference. However, these groups display anything BUT indifference. White-hot hatred is more like it. They want every vestige of Christianity removed from sight or earshot - as if it were somehow painful to them. Why this blind, unreasoning fear?

It makes me think of the stereotype cinematic vampire, cringing at the sight of a cross.

I think most self-proclaimed atheists in this country (and social interaction with many seems to reinforce this hypothesis of mine) are really just anti-Christians.

Zhukov said:

or

musicman said:

Well, this makes alot of sense. Thank you both!!

Zhukov said:
I think most self-proclaimed atheists in this country (and social interaction with many seems to reinforce this hypothesis of mine) are really just anti-Christians.

Agreed! Not just for seperation, but erasing of judeo-christian ethos. They don't seem to have a problem with atheism or Islam. I know you are of atheistic bent, but it's nice to see reason!

Forum List

Back