Ten Commandments Controversy Moves West

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Ten Commandments Controversy Moves West

EVERETT, Wash. — The city of Everett (search) is the new battleground in the debate over the Ten Commandments and where to draw the line in the separation of church and state.

A granite monument of the Ten Commandments (search) is tucked among some bushes in front of the Everett Police Station, along with more visible World War I and II memorials standing near the same corner of the building.

A 20-year-old local man has filed a lawsuit in federal court, saying the Ten Commandments monument on city property amounts to the government endorsing religion.

The American Civil Liberties Union (search) and Americans United for Separation of Church and State (search) have supported the legal action brought by Jesse Card, who went to high school in Everett and is an atheist.

Despite some recent court rulings that have gone against other similar markers on public property, Everett is fighting the lawsuit, claiming its monument has historical importance. It was donated by the Fraternal Order of Eagles in 1959 as part of a nationwide push to give young people a moral compass to live by.

City officials say public opinion is overwhelmingly in favor of keeping the Ten Commandments where it is.

It was donated by the Fraternal Order of Eagles in 1959 as part of a nationwide push to give young people a moral compass to live by.
Oh how we long for the days when you could do something like this without any controversy. Just goes to show how much we have changed as a nation.

the grand ole fight about whether christianity can be the only moral compass and that all else is just moral relativity. :sleep:

DKSuddeth said:
the grand ole fight about whether christianity can be the only moral compass and that all else is just moral relativity. :sleep:

Lord knows, I'm no religion expert, but aren't the 10 Commandments from the Hebrew Bible?

But a group of six religious leaders in Everett wants the marker moved, saying it’s tearing the community apart.
It's sad, even these religious leaders are wanting to just give up because they're tired of the fighting.

No matter how hard these..... atheists try and kill Christianity, it just reinvigorates true Christians.

I see a war in America's future. Maybe not in my life time, or anyone here, but there's a war coming.

gop_jeff said:
Yes, but that constitutes the Old Testament which is, of course, part of the Christian Bible.

Jeff, the Christians can adopt, but not co-opt. Right? The 10 Commandments are part and parcel of Christianity, agreed. They are also totally part of Judaism, right?

We've replaced 10 commandments with 35,000 laws, and no one is safe.

It's nice to know that these liberal watchdog groups have our best interests at heart.

gop_jeff said:
I wonder how this guy is dealing with the emotional scars brought on by running across the Ten Commandments in a public park... :rolleyes:

Yes. Especially that "keep the Sabbath holy" part. I lost count of the times I failed to keep that commandment. Thankfully I have yet to be arrested for breaking such a "commandment".

• Thanks
Reactions: Moi
Pale Rider said:
No matter how hard these..... atheists try and kill Christianity, it just reinvigorates true Christians.

I see a war in America's future. Maybe not in my life time, or anyone here, but there's a war coming.

You wouldn't know a "true Christian" if one came up, bit you on the butt.

mattskramer said:
Yes. Especially that "keep the Sabbath holy" part. I lost count of the times I failed to keep that commandment. Thankfully I have yet to be arrested for breaking such a "commandment".

Yeah, good thing too, right mat?

After all, since you ARE Jewish, and living in the year 50BC, you DO need to follow that law or BE arrested.

Thanks to this post, I am changing my sig tonight.

NewGuy said:
Yeah, good thing too, right mat?

After all, since you ARE Jewish, and living in the year 50BC, you DO need to follow that law or BE arrested.

Thanks to this post, I am changing my sig tonight.

I don't see your point. I'm an agnostic living in 2004. Thankfully that repressive attitude about imposing religious behavior on people has changed. I think that the "Blue Laws" (restricting the purchase of items on Sunday) was repealed a few years ago. Yet citizens today often have those "10 Commandments" practically shoved in their faces every once in a while.

Bullypulpit said:
You wouldn't know a "true Christian" if one came up, bit you on the butt.
Are you perhaps speaking from experience? I doubt a true Christian would bite anyone on the butt. Certainly doesn't seem very Christian to me.

Forum List

Back