Tea Party Governor Signs Bill Banning Direct Tesla Sales

In a pig's eye. You tried to pin all of this on a Republican Governor. He is running as a Republican. The auto industry is number one in Michigan, any particular reason government shouldn't support its citizens and economic base?

He is a governor with the power of veto who ran as a Tea Party candidate. How would Tesla selling cars in Michigan not support the citizens of Michigan? Will the employees not be residents of Michigan? Will the purchasers of the vehicles not pay sales taxes to Michigan?

Perhaps he wants better consumer protection that dealerships deliver. Synder ran as a Republican.

It was bipartisan legislation, so the OP failed right out of the chute.

What is free enterprise about heavily subsidized electric vehicles? Fail #2.

So Snyder didn't sign the bill?

You do realize that the fact the legislation was bipartisan, which I already knew, only bolsters my case and not yours, right?

In a pig's eye. You tried to pin all of this on a Republican Governor. He is running as a Republican. The auto industry is number one in Michigan, any particular reason government shouldn't support its citizens and economic base?
But it is a Republican thing! Three other GOP Governors have banned the sale of Teslas, New Jersey, Texas and Arizona. The Right always says one thing, like supporting free market Capitalism, and do the opposite, like banning the sale of Teslas.

He is a governor with the power of veto who ran as a Tea Party candidate. How would Tesla selling cars in Michigan not support the citizens of Michigan? Will the employees not be residents of Michigan? Will the purchasers of the vehicles not pay sales taxes to Michigan?

Perhaps he wants better consumer protection that dealerships deliver. Synder ran as a Republican.

Where is your evidence that consumers are better served by a dealership as opposed to the dealing direct with the auto maker? Even if that might be true, isn't that something the market should sort out? Requiring cars be sold through a third party dealership increases the cost of the product to the consumer.

Where is your evidence that consumers are better served by a dealership as opposed to the dealing direct with the auto maker? Even if that might be true, isn't that something the market should sort out? Requiring cars be sold through a third party dealership increases the cost of the product to the consumer.

Where is your proof cars cost more through dealerships? In what ways are they increased? Tesla is based outside of Michigan, Isn't there more recourse with dealers who own businesses in Michigan?

All this outrage over a frikken car?

Unless you live there how does it affect you?

I live there. It matters because Don'tTazMeBro wanted to make a partisan thread.

Where is your proof cars cost more through dealerships? In what ways are they increased?

Wow, is this a serious question? Do you have any idea how businesses work? I'll explain this to you in a way a third grader can understand. The auto maker needs to make a profit so when they sell to the wholesaler, in this case, the dealership, do you think they sell it at cost? Of course not, they mark up the price. Then when the dealer sells the car, do you think they sell it at cost? Of course not. They wouldn't stay in business very long, so they mark up the price again. If Tesla can sell straight to the consumer they cut out the middle man thus eliminating that secondary mark up in price and consumer buys it cheaper.

Rather astonishing I have to have this discussion with someone who calls them self Save Liberty.

I live there. It matters because Don'tTazMeBro wanted to make a partisan thread.

yes of course he did. over some car
sheesh. He has no idea what the Tea Party stands for that's for sure

I'm pretty sure the Tea Party no longer knows what it stands for. Snyder ran under the Tea Party banner and his anti-Capitalist actions clash with those alleged values. Of course, that's A-okay with you as long as the offender has an R next to their name.

It was bipartisan legislation, so the OP failed right out of the chute.

What is free enterprise about heavily subsidized electric vehicles? Fail #2.

So Snyder didn't sign the bill?

You do realize that the fact the legislation was bipartisan, which I already knew, only bolsters my case and not yours, right?

He signed it into law, Dolt

Excuse me, but I thought the Tea Party was all about free enterprise and competition? Instead Snyder gives Michigan more cronyism with the backing of Government Motors.

Governor Rick Snyder today signed bipartisan legislation aimed at discouraging Tesla Motors from selling its electric cars directly through company stores.

House Bill 5606, sponsored by state Rep. Aric Nesbitt, also prohibits auto manufacturers from dictating fees franchised dealers can charge customers. The legislation allows individual auto dealers to make the business decision whether to charge the transaction fee.

Snyder said direct sales of new vehicles is already banned in the state. This law will explicitly require all automakers to sell through a network of franchised dealers.

Earlier today General Motors urged the governor to sign the bill.

Gov. Snyder signs bill banning direct Tesla sales

What part of "bipartisan legislation" do you not understand?

You presume the dealer adds no value to the transaction, which is false.

Tesla is subject to the same law as all other car manufacturers at this point. How is that restrictive liberty? What they wanted and did not receive was an unfair advantage.

Excuse me, but I thought the Tea Party was all about free enterprise and competition? Instead Snyder gives Michigan more cronyism with the backing of Government Motors.

Governor Rick Snyder today signed bipartisan legislation aimed at discouraging Tesla Motors from selling its electric cars directly through company stores.

House Bill 5606, sponsored by state Rep. Aric Nesbitt, also prohibits auto manufacturers from dictating fees franchised dealers can charge customers. The legislation allows individual auto dealers to make the business decision whether to charge the transaction fee.

Snyder said direct sales of new vehicles is already banned in the state. This law will explicitly require all automakers to sell through a network of franchised dealers.

What part of "bipartisan legislation" do you not understand?

What part of the governor has veto power do you not understand and why do you not understand that pointing to the fact this was bipartisan legislation does not help your case any? You're pointing out the fact that multiple Republicans in Michigan are hypocrites.

Every politician is for sale.

The Tea Party tend to less intelligent and less sophisticated.

Therefore, they come cheap.

No, Taz pointed out that the bill had bipartisan support. However, ideologically, it should have been something the GOP would reject out of hand. Interfereing with private enterprise, adding another level of cost for the consumer. It is hypocrisy that Taz is nailing. The same hypocrisy that the Dems who supported the bill displayed in supporting it, when they are supposed to be caring about global warming.

It was a bipartisan supported bill.

Pontiac dealers or any of the others cannot or could not sell Chevrolets new, unless they were dealerships for that brand. Your comments regarding that subject are baseless and unfounded.

What is baseless is your assertion that this bill was passed to protect consumers just in case Tesla were to go out of business. In addition to the fact that the politicians in question are not going to do this to protect consumers from such a slight risk, the brands you named were sold by various GM dealers, and the dealerships did not go out of business when the brands went away. If Tesla used independent dealers, and Tesla went under, those dealerships would cease to exist as well.

This "better consumer protection" claim is nonsense. If Tesla sold their cars through independent dealers, and Tesla went under, the dealerships would be gone too.

The way Tesla does it you deal directly with the company, not thru some third party.

Do the words "bi-partisan legislation" give a clue to the low information left? Michigan is hurting financially especially after Detroit went bankrupt. Tesla cars aren't cheap. Why shouldn't the state get it's fair share of the tax?

Forum List

Back