TEA Party derails PATRIOT Act fasttrack vote

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I am impressed.

Eight House Republican freshmen and three inaugural members of the Tea Party Caucus voted against a proposed extension of three Patriot Act provisions Tuesday night, blocking the measure from passage under fast-track rules. The House clearly backed the measure, voting 277 to 148 to extend the provisions, and most Republicans stuck by their leadership and supported the extension. But enough defected, joined by most Democrats, to keep the measure seven votes shy of the two-thirds majority required for passage under the fast-track procedure.
The House is likely to bring the extensions back up before the end of the month under regular procedures, when a simple majority would suffice to send it to the Senate.
Attention immediately swung to whether House members sympathetic to the tea party had decided the matter, especially after Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (D-Ohio) said Monday that the vote would be "the tea party's first test."
The Republicans who voted no Tuesday night included Roscoe G. Bartlett (Md.), Paul Broun (Ga.) and Walter B. Jones (N.C.), all of whom were original members of the House Tea Party Caucus when it was founded last summer.

44 - GOP freshmen help derail Patriot Act extension

Not an end to it, but a sign that things are changing.

I am impressed.

Eight House Republican freshmen and three inaugural members of the Tea Party Caucus voted against a proposed extension of three Patriot Act provisions Tuesday night, blocking the measure from passage under fast-track rules. The House clearly backed the measure, voting 277 to 148 to extend the provisions, and most Republicans stuck by their leadership and supported the extension. But enough defected, joined by most Democrats, to keep the measure seven votes shy of the two-thirds majority required for passage under the fast-track procedure.
The House is likely to bring the extensions back up before the end of the month under regular procedures, when a simple majority would suffice to send it to the Senate.
Attention immediately swung to whether House members sympathetic to the tea party had decided the matter, especially after Rep. Dennis J. Kucinich (D-Ohio) said Monday that the vote would be "the tea party's first test."
The Republicans who voted no Tuesday night included Roscoe G. Bartlett (Md.), Paul Broun (Ga.) and Walter B. Jones (N.C.), all of whom were original members of the House Tea Party Caucus when it was founded last summer.

No it isn't only 148 voted no. This will easily pass when they bring it up again.

By the way Walter B. Jones is my rep, he is NOT a real tea party member. He is a Democrat that could not run as a Democrat because of the good old boy system. He did not have the time put in for the Party to support him. SO he changed party's and ran as a Republican back in the 90's/ Won the seat and has steadily been going back to the democrats on most crucial votes. The Republican party of NC does not like him much but can not find anyone to win yet against him.

This last election the primary had a challenger and he got 40 percent of the vote. I specifically voted against Walter B. Jones in the regular election and against him in the primaries. His father held the seat for a long time as a Democrat as well.

I specifically tell the Republican party NOT to send any of my contributions to him.

I find this worrisome, Quantum Windbag. I am not sure why the provisions they voted down were not approved. If it is some free-floating "anti-Big Government" attitude, I will feel less safe if they proceed to strip away all the extraordinary powers of the Patriot Act.

But then you knew I wouldn't approve, didn't you?

I find this worrisome, Quantum Windbag. I am not sure why the provisions they voted down were not approved. If it is some free-floating "anti-Big Government" attitude, I will feel less safe if they proceed to strip away all the extraordinary powers of the Patriot Act.

It is Democrats voting to thwart the Republicans. These same Democrats voted for it 2 years ago.

See the Op, RGS. T'aint just Democrats.

148 voted no dear and only 24 were Republicans and of those only 8 were Teaparty. The remain 124 were Democrats that 2 years ago overwhelmingly voted FOR those exact same provisions.

I disapprove of partisan bullshit, RGS. If it was a sound idea 2 years ago, it should still be unless experience has changed their minds.

Shame on them.

See the Op, RGS. T'aint just Democrats.

148 voted no dear and only 24 were Republicans and of those only 8 were Teaparty. The remain 124 were Democrats that 2 years ago overwhelmingly voted FOR those exact same provisions.

I disapprove of partisan bullshit, RGS. If it was a sound idea 2 years ago, it should still be unless experience has changed their minds.

Shame on them.

Well I have to make a confession.... I don't know how many democrats voted against it last time. So there is a small chance that these 124 actually believe the law is bad. Just sounds better to say they voted for it last time ) Besides their own Party President supports it.

I've been explaining for a long time that the Tea Parties aren't 'Republican' though some are. It's a mix of folks with overall heavy leaning towards libertarian ideals from most, which makes the Patriot Act something they have big problems with. The nexis with the Republicans political class is that they know that if they keep discounting the wishes of those who agree with much of the Tea Parties, they would lose faster than the Democrat political class.

It's not the handful of 'Tea Party' folks that were elected to House that are making the difference, but the thinking.

I am impressed.

No it isn't only 148 voted no. This will easily pass when they bring it up again.

By the way Walter B. Jones is my rep, he is NOT a real tea party member. He is a Democrat that could not run as a Democrat because of the good old boy system. He did not have the time put in for the Party to support him. SO he changed party's and ran as a Republican back in the 90's/ Won the seat and has steadily been going back to the democrats on most crucial votes. The Republican party of NC does not like him much but can not find anyone to win yet against him.

This last election the primary had a challenger and he got 40 percent of the vote. I specifically voted against Walter B. Jones in the regular election and against him in the primaries. His father held the seat for a long time as a Democrat as well.

I specifically tell the Republican party NOT to send any of my contributions to him.

stop-sippin-haterade.gif

I feel safer with them gone, the DHS dissolved, and our troops home from overseas bases in nations that haven't seen war in decades, personally. It's the libertarian leaning side of me.

in my lifetime.

I'm not holding my breath about it staying out of government but if the most unconstitutional piece of legislation in US history stays off the books I'll sign up to become a democrat this year.

Don't get your hopes up, it will be back on the books by next Friday.

They'll strip away the amendments, and it will pass easily.

in my lifetime.

I'm not holding my breath about it staying out of government but if the most unconstitutional piece of legislation in US history stays off the books I'll sign up to become a democrat this year.

I don't find it to be THE MOST unconstitutional piece of legislation, but it is a GREAT thing that this was blocked, even temporarily.

Battle lines were drawn today.

in my lifetime.

I don't find it to be THE MOST unconstitutional piece of legislation, but it is a GREAT thing that this was blocked, even temporarily.

Battle lines were drawn today.

US Constitution vs. The Patriot Act

This website breaks it down pretty well, not saying you're wrong there may be worse, but the Patriot Act essentially shreds the 1st and 6th amendments.

in my lifetime.

Its about time too. I've been wanting this thing to go away since the day after it was introduced.

"Patriot" act meh.

If it wasn't for those tea party republicans this thing would have passed again.

in my lifetime.

Its about time too. I've been wanting this thing to go away since the day after it was introduced.

"Patriot" act meh.

If it wasn't for those tea party republicans this thing would have passed again.

It takes a lot of faith in government bureacrats to think they won't abuse the powers given to them in the Patriot Act.

in my lifetime.

"Patriot" act meh.

It takes a lot of faith in government bureacrats to think they won't abuse the powers given to them in the Patriot Act.

and if you can't tell from my avatar I have NO FAITH in those who are currently running our government.

I have a lot of faith in the constitutional republic that is the united states government but none in those who are currently not running it within the confines of that constitution.

Forum List

Back