Taxation

I work in Memphis now, and I'd consider moving to Mississippi if they didn't have an income tax. Since they do I live, eat, and shop in Tennessee.

You might want to look into the sales tax rates...TN makes up for no income tax by having a higher state sales tax...it is likely to be cheaper to shop and eat in Olive Branch or West Memphis.

Probably the most relavent map

popvssodamap.gif

I work in Memphis now, and I'd consider moving to Mississippi if they didn't have an income tax. Since they do I live, eat, and shop in Tennessee.

You might want to look into the sales tax rates...TN makes up for no income tax by having a higher state sales tax...it is likely to be cheaper to shop and eat in Olive Branch or West Memphis.

We don't have an income tax, but are sale tax is at .086.

MS and AR still have a pretty high sales tax rate (and they tax food there too). Also, I'm about 30 minutes from Olive Branch and about an hour from West Memphis. I'm literally a 3 minute drive from a Schnucks and Kroger where I am.

I'll take convenience and gas over saving maybe $1-2 on a large grocery bill...

That isn't bad at all...we have state income tax and our state sales tax is .04225 plus .03 for county and local sales tax, .07225 total plus some municipalities have additional sales tax zones...I've been places in Missouri where the sales tax was over 12 cents on the dollar (or 12%, however you want to look at it).

I'm figured Big Oil for Texas and Alaska, Insurance for CT, the easy incorp rules for DL, but was surprised by WY.

Thanks for the native perspective.

@2parties, I concur. These are the compelling issues that face us today.

@2parties, I concur. These are the compelling issues that face us today.

The map sucks though. My current county is dark red but I've never heard one person refer to soft drinks generally as "coke". I've asked for Coke at restaurants numerous times and have never had anyone ask me what kind. Michigan is right though, "pop" is the correct term.

States that do have an income tax draw MORE businesses to their state.
The more business you have the more workers you have.

States with no income tax draw more people to their states too. Something that unpopulated states will do in order to generate growth.

States that don't want larger populations have income taxes.

File:Map of USA highlighting states with no income tax on wages.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4 of the 7 states without income taxes have among the lowest populations of all states.

Not only do they attract more people. They attract people with high incomes, and business.

People who want privacy.

4 of the 7 states without income taxes are Nevada, Wyoming, South Dakota and Alaska. Those are listed as #42, #49, #46, and #50 in population density.

The other three are listed #26 (texas), #25 (Washington), and #8 (Florida).

Obviously the states without income taxes are very lightly populated and therefore have the greatest potential for economic growth. And the highest incentive to attract growth.

IOW the OP was hugely misleading.

List of U.S. states by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IL has both, very high income tax and very complicated and high sales tax. Check it out, no other state comes close to the complexity:

Sales taxes in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Illinois

Illinois' sales and use tax scheme includes four major divisions. Retailers' Occupation Tax, Use Tax, Service Occupation Tax and the Service Use Tax. Each of these taxes is administered by the Illinois Department of Revenue. The Retailers' Occupation Tax is imposed upon persons engaged in the business of selling tangible personal property to purchasers for use or consumption. It is measured by the gross receipts of the retailer. The base rate of 6.25% is broken down as follows: 5% State, 1% City, 0.25% County. Local governments may impose additional tax resulting in a combined rate that ranges from the State minimum of 6.25% to a current high of 11.50% in certain business districts in Cook County.[59]. Springfield charges 7.75% total (including state tax). A complementary Use Tax is imposed upon the privilege of using or consuming property purchased anywhere at retail from a retailer. Illinois registered retailers are authorized to collect the Use Tax from their customers and use it to offset their obligations under the Retailers' Occupation Tax Act. Since the Use Tax rate is equivalent to the corresponding Retailers' Occupation Tax rate, the amount collected by the retailer matches the amount the retailer must submit to the Illinois Department of Revenue. The combination of these two taxes is what is commonly referred to as "sales tax." If the purchaser does not pay the Use Tax directly to a retailer (for instance, on an item purchased from an Internet seller), they must remit it directly to the Illinois Department of Revenue.[60]

The Service Occupation Tax is imposed upon the privilege of engaging in service businesses and is measured by the selling price of tangible personal property transferred as an incident to providing a service. The Service Use Tax is imposed upon the privilege of using or consuming tangible personal property transferred as an incident to the provision of a service. An example would be a printer of business cards. The printer owes Service Occupation Tax on the value of the paper and ink transferred to the customer in the form of printed business cards. The serviceperson may satisfy this tax by paying Use Tax to his supplier of paper and ink or, alternatively, may charge Service Use Tax to the purchaser of the business cards and remit the amount collected as Service Occupation Tax on the serviceperson's tax return. The service itself, however, is not subject to tax.

Qualifying food, drugs, medicines and medical appliances[61] have sales tax of 1% plus local home rule tax depending on the location where purchased. Newspapers and magazines are exempt from sales tax as are legal tender, currency, medallions, bullion or gold or silver coinage issued by the State of Illinois, the government of the United States of America, or the government of any foreign country.

Illinois' system is exceptionally complicated. A brief overview is detailed on the Illinois Department of Revenue website.[62]

The city of Chicago previously had the highest total sales tax of all major U.S. cities (10.75%), which was a major reference point until the rate was decreased to 9.75% as of July 1, 2010.[63] It is also one of the most complex. 9.75% is levied on all non-perishable goods purchased, while 2% is levied on qualifying food, drugs, medicines and medical appliances.[63] The Illinois Department of Revenue collects a 3% Chicago Soft Drink Tax and a 1% Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority (MPEA) "Food and Beverage Tax", on prepared food and beverage purchases in the downtown area (These "downtown" boundaries are: Surf Street on the north, Ashland Avenue on the west, Stevenson Expressway (I-55) on the south, & Lake Michigan on the east. Furthermore, O'Hare and Midway airports also fall under the 1% MPEA tax district).[64] In addition, the Chicago Department of Revenue collects additional sales taxes on items such as fountain drinks, bottled water, liquor, and cigarettes.[65]

get rid of income tax. that's a brilliant idea. goodbye military. goodbye police. goodbye schools. goodbye infrastructure. taxes are what pay for that. thats why they exist. greedy republicans, with their sheep that follow them off the cliff.
by the way, why has there never been anyone logical enough to demand lower taxes, and yet be unwilling to cut defense spending?

Forum List

Back