Tax Day rhetoric aside, Americans' bills are lower

The Dinner Lesson

With the income filing date fast approaching I though it would be interesting to relate this story.

This is a story that I heard on the radio about 10 men who had dinner and paid for it in the same manner as you would pay your income tax. A Professor of Economics from the University of Georgia created this to help explain the Income Tax and how cutting taxes works.

It seemed that 10 men decided to have a business lunch once a week. They always met in the same restaurant and the bill was always, $100.00, for all 10 men. If each man was responsible for his share of the bill that would be, $10.00, each. The men decided to divide the bill based upon their ability to pay. Using an agreed upon formula the following payment arraignment was worked out based upon income.

Men 1-4 who made the least amount of money paid nothing.

Man 5 paid $ 1.00

Man 6 paid $ 3.00

Man 7 paid $ 7.00

Man 8 paid $12.00

Man 9 paid $18.00

Man 10 paid $59.00

After several weeks the owner of the restaurant told the men that because they were such good customers he was reducing the bill by $20.00. Their delimina was how to divide up the, $20.00. If each person got the same amount then the first 4 men would be getting money back but they never paid anything for the dinners. After much discussion and no resolve the owner offered the following suggestion which they all agreed to.

Original Payment New Payment $ Amount Saved % Saved

Men 1-4 paid $ 0.00 $ 0.00 $0.00 0%

Man 5 paid $ 1.00 $ 0.00 $1.00 100%

Man 6 paid $ 3.00 $ 2.00 $1.00 33%

Man 7 paid $ 7.00 $ 5.00 $2.00 28%

Man 8 paid $12.00 $ 9.00 $3.00 25%

Man 9 paid $18.00 $14.00 $4.00 22%

Man 10 paid $59.00 $50.00 $9.00 15%

Once out side the men began to argue about the settlement. Man 5 said he only got, $1.00, while Man 10 received, $9.00. Men 1-4 were upset because the received nothing. They said that the cut only benefited the rich and the poor got nothing. They were upset so they beat up Man 10 and left him. The next week they met for lunch as usual except man 10 did not show up. When the new bill arrived the men discovered that between them they did not have enough money to pay even half of the bill.

In this story we see a simplified version of the Federal Income Tax. According to an article in the "New York Times" 80% of the taxes are paid by 20% of the people highest income people. Any time you have a tax cut the people who pay taxes are going to get the money. The next time you hear of a tax cut and the media tells you that the wealthy are getting all the money, remember they are paying the taxes.

Get on board and support Dr. Ron Paul and his 'Liberty Amendment' to end the Income Tax. He will be introducing this bill once again this year. He has introduced this bill for the last ten years. He doesn't usually get much support for this bill but maybe times are changing. Lets help the good doctor out. :)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- You wouldn't know it by the Tax Day rhetoric, but Americans are paying lower taxes this year, even with increases passed by many states to balance their budgets.

Tax Day rhetoric aside, Americans' bills are lower - Yahoo! Finance
(Damn that left wing Yahoo finance site!)

I wonder how silly these tea baggers feel when they realize they are screaming against lower taxes.

Reality not your friend.
Camp: Democrats Have Enacted Nearly $700 Billion in Tax Hikes | House Committee on Ways & Means - Republican

Connecting dots...tis important.

Thanks Rabbi!

WASHINGTON (AP) -- You wouldn't know it by the Tax Day rhetoric, but Americans are paying lower taxes this year, even with increases passed by many states to balance their budgets.

I wonder how silly these tea baggers feel when they realize they are screaming against lower taxes.

"In the next few years, however, many can expect to pay more. Some future increases were enacted as part of Obama's health care overhaul. And former President George W. Bush's tax cuts expire in January. Obama and the Democrats want to renew only some of them, thus raising taxes for individuals making more than $200,000 and couples making more than $250,000."

"But let me perfectly clear, because I know you’ll hear the same old claims that rolling back these tax breaks means a massive tax increase on the American people: if your family earns less than $250,000 a year, you will not see your taxes increased a single dime. I repeat: not one single dime."

Remarks of President Barack Obama -- Address to Joint Session of Congress | The White House
The wealthy will be paying FICA taxes on a small portion of their dividend earnings.

The Bush tax cuts on the wealthy will expire.

Families earning less that $250,000 are not having their taxes raised.

Nice try, Del!

I'm curious, how many in the tea party brigade to you figure make over $200,000 per year?

There aren't enough Wealthy to pay for Obama's $T per year. Increased taxes area a comin' for everyone.

Get on board and support Dr. Ron Paul and his 'Liberty Amendment' to end the Income Tax. He will be introducing this bill once again this year. He has introduced this bill for the last ten years. He doesn't usually get much support for this bill but maybe times are changing. Lets help the good doctor out. :)

So how will the goverment make any money?

BULLSHIT.

All my bills are up this year compared to last.

Bills are higher and personal income is way down. This is the sad reality for most Americans. This thread was a nice try by the Hopey Changeys but it just doesn't match up with reality.

BULLSHIT.

It's going to get worse.

Incomes and property values are down - reducing state and local taxes. I'm already seeing additional fees and exise taxes in Oakland. Latest example, a new $25 fee for having a security system. The City is also threatening to cut the police force by 150 officers if we don't agree to higher property taxes (despite the fact that a tax measure was passed a few years ago to fund these same offiers).

At the state level, we had to pay a 1% of income surcharge to the state to pay for mental health care services in the first 2010 quarterly payment.

BULLSHIT.

It's going to get worse.

Incomes and property values are down - reducing state and local taxes. I'm already seeing additional fees and exise taxes in Oakland. Latest example, a new $25 fee for having a security system. The City is also threatening to cut the police force by 150 officers if we don't agree to higher property taxes (despite the fact that a tax measure was passed a few years ago to fund these same offiers).

At the state level, we had to pay a 1% of income surcharge to the state to pay for mental health care services in the first 2010 quarterly payment.
NY just allowed a 13% increase in energy costs...13!!!

I'm amazed anyone would dare try to claim 'bills are lower'.

BULLSHIT.

It's going to get worse.

How are those "states rights" working out for you?

It's going to get worse.

How is eating shit working out for you?

Do you always answer a question with more questions when said question pisses you off?
The question wasn't rhetorical, it was on point, you are just to simple to understand it.

You are spoon fed shit everyday by a corrupt big government and yet you spend a lot of time defending it and attacking the protestors of it.

If you object to eating shit stop doing it.

Do you always answer a question with more questions when said question pisses you off?
The question wasn't rhetorical, it was on point, you are just to simple to understand it.

You are spoon fed shit everyday by a corrupt big government and yet you spend a lot of time defending it and attacking the protestors of it.

You must have gone to school with US Army Retarded. Who are you to tell anyone they are "to" simple? Dumbass.

You must have gone to school with US Army Retarded. Who are you to tell anyone they are "to" simple? Dumbass.
Ah, the poor lil shiteater is upset, so its time to break out 'grammar nazi!'

grammar_nazi2.jpg

Forum List

Back