Tampa Deserves Neither a Stadium nor a Team

First of all, Florida has been hit harder than other states by the recession.

Second, did you ever try to drive from Tampa to St Pete?
Unless you have THIS, there are only two options...

SNN3029C_682_814766a.jpg

And

Tropicana Field is not a great stadium. But the problem with the Trop, however, isn't the atmosphere, but the location.

Tampa Bay has a market size of 3.2 million people - larger than just eight other markets in Major League Baseball.

Only 19 percent of the Tampa Bay market lives within a 30-minute drive of the Trop, however. Seattle, which also has 3.2 million people, has a whopping 63 percent of its market within a 30-minute drive of Safeco Field. And Denver has 79 percent for Coors Field, despite having almost a million fewer residents.

To put it simply: The Tampa Bay area is not fully utilized by the location of the Trop. A central location would increase that 19 percent to as high as 50 percent if a new stadium were built in Tampa's Channelside or Toy Town districts.

If the entirety of the Tampa Bay market is expected to drive to the southern tip of Pinellas County in an already awkwardly designed metropolitan area, the weeknight baseball crowds will suffer.

I'd wager another problem with Major League Baseball in Florida is Minor League Baseball.

Folks became invested in their local MILB teams before the Rays came to Florida.
I go watch my local Minor league team every week they're at home and I've never been to a Royals or Cardinals Major League game in person. I'm invested in my local team.

Last edited:
Shit...The Orioles have been playing good ball since Buck Showalter took over.

The Twins had the crappiest stadium in the league since...well...since they opened the Metrohump, and their fans would show up in force for a game like this.

Screw Tampa...Move the team to Charlotte or Nawlins.

Charlotte probably would be the best bet just because of it's location, and with the cities that surround it. They've also shown they can support an NFL and NBA team (even though their support isn't as strong compared to other franchises), so an MLB team could work as long as it didn't have idiot ownership and management.

The first big game I ever attended in person was in Charlotte.

The Charlotte Knights beat the Richmond Braves.

They love their baseball. :thup:

It is sad.

The only time the fill the stadium is when the Yankees come to town.

I'd wager another problem with Major League Baseball in Florida is Minor League Baseball.

Folks became invested in their local MILB teams before the Rays came to Florida.

Forgot all about the Spring Training Grapefruit League.

Last edited:
It is sad.

The only time the fill the stadium is when the Yankees come to town.

The Yankees have that effect everywhere they play. While other teams always want to beat the Bronx Bombers, every team owner knows that when the Yankees are strong the whole sport benefits.

MickeyMantle-1.jpg

Pathetic showing by Tampa fans.

They fought for years to get a team to move to their POS stadium and do not even show upfor one of the best teams in baseball

I saw a game there in 2002- it was so dark. Easily the worst place I've ever watched a baseball game.

tampa's team, being in the thunderdome... in senior citizen or low end ridden, Saint Pete is more than likely the problem...and if they had a stadium in Tampa, where the fans and money, (and hispanics) are...they wouldn't be giving tickets away.

it's a bear of a drive from tampa, with backed up traffic crossing the bridge, to get to the thunderdome.

Forum List

Back