Taking Troubling Trolls To Task

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takes one to know one, don't it? Are you a nazi? It's obvious you like balls in your face - you are known by the company you keep.
No it doesn't take one to to know one. What it takes is someone who recognizes that being free comes with risk and responsibility, not crying for the government to protect you from bad words and people who make you cry.

Having fought for your Right to have those freedoms, I'm quite aware of their importance of freedom. Do you? Or do you always hide behind it to spew shit you don't have the courage to say publicly when you have to be held accountable?

Posting someone else’s personal information goes beyond trolling and such a person should be banned. Trolling should be handled by the board moderators per the rules (which usually give the mods some discretion).

Should be does not necessarily mean that results in mods enforcing the rules or issuing bans for the violations. If they did counsel individual posters and then follow up, trolling would not be a problem. Case in point:

Did you see the poster that insinuates I'm a fag just because he didn't like the OP? The trolls are spineless creeps that start crap they don't have the guts or brains to do one on one. Why should a board provide them a forum to attempt to intimidate people they would never say that to in person?
I am a member of a fishing forum in which such a poster would be banned. Obviously this forum allows it. We have the freedom to participate or not participate in such forums. The mother of a friend of mine would often say “When you are in my house you have to abide by my rules.”

Even here they have the rules. Most of the political discussion boards are pretty much the same.

Posting someone else’s personal information goes beyond trolling and such a person should be banned. Trolling should be handled by the board moderators per the rules (which usually give the mods some discretion).

Should be does not necessarily mean that results in mods enforcing the rules or issuing bans for the violations. If they did counsel individual posters and then follow up, trolling would not be a problem. Case in point:

Did you see the poster that insinuates I'm a fag just because he didn't like the OP? The trolls are spineless creeps that start crap they don't have the guts or brains to do one on one. Why should a board provide them a forum to attempt to intimidate people they would never say that to in person?
I am a member of a fishing forum in which such a poster would be banned. Obviously this forum allows it. We have the freedom to participate or not participate in such forums. The mother of a friend of mine would often say “When you are in my house you have to abide by my rules.”

Even here they have the rules. Most of the political discussion boards are pretty much the same.
Since you now know how the rules are applied at USMB, you get to decide whether to partipate or not!

Doxxing should never happen on a board. Unfortunately it does.

Here? It's strongly a no-no here.

To Humorme: Don't give out your personal information on the internet.

Screwing people for amusement should never happen. And yet, it is the only way some people can feel good about themselves. Spew filth you don't have the courage to say to a person's face. Makes you feel good. But, it whizzes some folks off; it doesn't add to the value of a thread; it exposes cowards for what they are.

Since you now know how the rules are applied at USMB, you get to decide whether to partipate or not!

Your point? I made mine.

Takes one to know one, don't it? Are you a nazi? It's obvious you like balls in your face - you are known by the company you keep.
No it doesn't take one to to know one. What it takes is someone who recognizes that being free comes with risk and responsibility, not crying for the government to protect you from bad words and people who make you cry.

Having fought for your Right to have those freedoms, I'm quite aware of their importance of freedom. Do you? Or do you always hide behind it to spew shit you don't have the courage to say publicly when you have to be held accountable?

Are you submitting these posts as a project for your drama class?

Doxxing should never happen on a board. Unfortunately it does.

Here? It's strongly a no-no here.

To Humorme: Don't give out your personal information on the internet.

Screwing people for amusement should never happen. And yet, it is the only way some people can feel good about themselves. Spew filth you don't have the courage to say to a person's face. Makes you feel good. But, it whizzes some folks off; it doesn't add to the value of a thread; it exposes cowards for what they are.

iu

Has the OP considered that this might not be the forum for him?

Did you read the OP? It contains the answer.

You're a snowflake who's in for a wild ride? :spinner:

No. I'm now the guy that owns you. You cannot walk away from the thread. You have to have the last word. OCD would kill you if you had to simply post your view and walk away.

So, watch this...
Dude, you forgot to tell him to hold your beer....

I agree that people will say things on an anonymous message board that they would probably never say in public. This is good and bad. While some use the anonymity to simply act like jerks, others use the anonymity to express opinions that might simply be too controversial other places. For example at my place of employment I tend to keep my political opinions to myself. There is no need to ostracize nearly 1/2 the people I work with.

I have long suspected that is exactly the case. Otherwise, it don't make sense that mods allow the same people to go from one thread to another, picking board fights.

That was obvious with the troll wannabe that tried to tell me this is USMB and they don't care what is done on other boards. It's the same crap on all boards! If I singled USMB out, it would amount to questioning moderation. They're slick. For their other fellow trolls and mods who reserve the board to cater to a single demographic: One day someone will figure out how to obtain the personal details on all posters and the trolls will get exposed.

Technology is always changing.

Mods on this board are decidedly right of center. For someone center left to report a troll does little good, but it totally works the other way around. I'll give the mods here this: They don't moderate very often.

Two schools of thought:

1) Mods who moderate least, moderate best
2) Mods who moderate often over-moderate

Both are correct

Has the OP considered that this might not be the forum for him?

Did you read the OP? It contains the answer.

You're a snowflake who's in for a wild ride? :spinner:

No. I'm now the guy that owns you. You cannot walk away from the thread. You have to have the last word. OCD would kill you if you had to simply post your view and walk away.

So, watch this...

Pretty harsh. I don't think you would say that to his face.

I believe that Joe Moma made a good point.

Suppose that you lived in England and wanted to replace Her Majesty with an elected President.

It probably would not be a good idea (for your personal safety) to say that at work or in a pub.

So at least you could get it off your chest by posting your opinion on a forum. (I have read, however, that forums in the United Kingdom are now strictly censored. And here in the United States, almost all forums will no longer allow certain controversial points of view.)

I believe that Joe Moma made a good point.

Suppose that you lived in England and wanted to replace Her Majesty with an elected President.

It probably would not be a good idea (for your personal safety) to say that at work or in a pub......

Why not? Because you would be ridiculed for your failure to understand Britain's political system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back