Tacos and Other Possibly Illegal Food

I have to say that some of you do seem to have your act together on this. We New Mexicans can sometimes be a bit snobbish when it comes to proper Mexican food, but we probably don't corner the whole market. :)

New Mexico is the only state with an official state question approved by the legislature and signed by the governor though: "Red or Green?"

I though NM was the only state that had a Constitution written in Spanish?

I've vacationed in Albequerque....went up the mountain, bought a sweater....drove through Santa Fe and stopped for lunch....but I gotta tell yas, I don't think you miss much by driving through NM at night and it might increase the opportunity for a UFO to stop and probe you.

Albuquerque has great sunsets!

Why is it that everytime I hear the world "Albuquerque", I think "I should have made a left there"?

I have to say that some of you do seem to have your act together on this. We New Mexicans can sometimes be a bit snobbish when it comes to proper Mexican food, but we probably don't corner the whole market. :)

New Mexico is the only state with an official state question approved by the legislature and signed by the governor though: "Red or Green?"

And we have our own state cookie too.

Why not 1/2 & 1/2??? Huh????

Your chilies are not hot enough, your insurance is too high, & your traffic jams don't even make any sense. So there!!! Your chinese food sucks too!!! :eek: ;) :lol:

Oh Boo! You and Samson!

I got some green chili once that was so hot neither Hubby nor I, neither novices to really spicy food, could eat it. So I made burritos out of it and our son, the fire eater, snarfed them right down.

Does your local paper run articles on how to treat chili burns during roasting season every fall? Ours does.

Albuquerque has more Asian restaurants--Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, etc.--than San Francisco, most are run by immigrant Asians, and many of them are superb.

I have driven in San Francisco, LA, Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, Houston and even during rush hour, Albuquerque traffic is a stroll in the park by comparison.

I'll give you the traffic jams make no sense though. I swear some of our intersections were designed by a drunk leading a blind mule in a snowstorm. But no place is perfect.

Your chilies are not hot enough, your insurance is too high, & your traffic jams don't even make any sense. So there!!! Your chinese food sucks too!!! :eek: ;) :lol:

Oh Boo! You and Samson!

I got some green chili once that was so hot neither Hubby nor I, neither novices to really spicy food, could eat it. So I made burritos out of it and our son, the fire eater, snarfed them right down.

Does your local paper run articles on how to treat chili burns during roasting season every fall? Ours does.

Albuquerque has more Asian restaurants--Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, etc.--than San Francisco, most are run by immigrant Asians, and many of them are superb.

I have driven in San Francisco, LA, Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, Houston and even during rush hour, Albuquerque traffic is a stroll in the park by comparison.

I'll give you the traffic jams make no sense though. I swear some of our intersections were designed by a drunk leading a blind mule in a snowstorm. But no place is perfect.

Blame the Mormons for the lay out. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've vacationed in Albequerque....went up the mountain, bought a sweater....drove through Santa Fe and stopped for lunch....but I gotta tell yas, I don't think you miss much by driving through NM at night and it might increase the opportunity for a UFO to stop and probe you.

Why is it that everytime I hear the world "Albuquerque", I think "I should have made a left there"?

Bugs Bunny always said that when he popped from a hole and was confronted by Elmer Fudd.

I know when I'm in NM when I go through Raton Pass and hit the 60 mile long trailor park beside I 25 South.

I know when I'm in NM when I go through Raton Pass and hit the 60 mile long trailor park beside I 25 South.

You wanna pick a fight with me? Bring it on. . . .

image018.jpg

Bugs Bunny always said that when he popped from a hole and was confronted by Elmer Fudd.

I think that has to be Bug's 2nd best known line, right behind "What's up Doc?"

Well,this ain't the first time I've been snarked at for being a mexican food snob....won't be the last either I'm sure. :eusa_eh::lol::lol:

I can definately agree that our Chinese food sucks!! I haven't been to a really good Chinese food place in years...need to find one of those. Our traffic jams usually involve minor traffic mishaps or loose animals that make the lookie lou's facinated...with the occasional naked and/or drunk pedestrian thrown in to make things interesting.

Yesterday I saw a rooster at the bus stop by work...I had to look twice to make sure I wasn't seeing things. LOL!

Last edited:
Okay, when are we New Mexicans gonna get together for some beer and food? I'm hungry...

Me too! Not related to mexican food (although they do serve enchiladas)...have you ever been to Duke's (on Academy and San Mateo)? A friend and I went there today for lunch. It's a steak house,the prices are very reasonable and the food is really good. If not, you should try it.

The view from the Sandia crest at night is the best...and they have a great restaurant up there too. Did you ride the Tram?

Oh Boo! You and Samson!

What Chinese places do you like, I haven't found a really good one.

Driving in California sucks (can't speak for the other cities/states). At least our roads make sense, and most go straight through to your destination. CA roads just stop and then turn into another street that curves in another direction. Then pick up somewhere across town for no good reason. I spent most of my time lost while there.

Last edited:
Tacos are the perfect food, until north americans insisted on "Hard Shell" tacos? Why the hell would anyone in their right mind bite down on a hard shelled taco that's obviously going to fall apart, and into your lap?

From Averin, Sophie. “History of Tortillas and Tacos” Tortilla History Pages 1 – 5 The author explains Tackling the taco and a guide to the art of taco eating.

A taco is a “tortilla with something wrapped inside." Again, as with enchiladas, the central ingredient is the tortilla, which is made from corn and should not be mistaken for a Spanish version of the same name that is made of eggs and potato. Dating from the time of the Spanish conquest, Bernardino de Sahagun provides a list of the various types of tortillas that the Spanish encountered in Mexico. These are:

tlaxcalpacholi – a color corn flour tortilla.

ueitlaxcalli - which translates as a very thin, large, white tortilla.

Quauhtlaxqualli – a large, white, thick, coarse tortilla made with nixtamal, and totonqui.

Tlaxcalli – which refers to the common white tortilla ?

According to Avernin, a “taco” is “definitely not: A canary yellow tortilla with black spots” . Therefore, the hard, curled up holders typically called “tacos” in the US are nothing of the kind.

Bernal Diaz Del Castillo documented the first taco feast enjoyed by Europeans and Cortes himself arranged for the banquet in Coyoacan for these captains. However, the taco predates the European invasion as anthropologists have found evidence that the people living in the lake region of the Valley of Mexico traditionally ate tacos filled with small fish. As this suggests, the content of a taco differs with geographical region, but also, with the time of the day, as there are “early morning tacos, evening tacos and late night tacos.”

This just in, taco's are banned here in arizona! NO taco's, no teachers with accents, not mexican history, no brown people period.

Tacos are the perfect food, until north americans insisted on "Hard Shell" tacos? Why the hell would anyone in their right mind bite down on a hard shelled taco that's obviously going to fall apart, and into your lap?

From Averin, Sophie. “History of Tortillas and Tacos” Tortilla History Pages 1 – 5 The author explains Tackling the taco and a guide to the art of taco eating.

A taco is a “tortilla with something wrapped inside." Again, as with enchiladas, the central ingredient is the tortilla, which is made from corn and should not be mistaken for a Spanish version of the same name that is made of eggs and potato. Dating from the time of the Spanish conquest, Bernardino de Sahagun provides a list of the various types of tortillas that the Spanish encountered in Mexico. These are:

tlaxcalpacholi – a color corn flour tortilla.

ueitlaxcalli - which translates as a very thin, large, white tortilla.

Quauhtlaxqualli – a large, white, thick, coarse tortilla made with nixtamal, and totonqui.

Tlaxcalli – which refers to the common white tortilla ?

According to Avernin, a “taco” is “definitely not: A canary yellow tortilla with black spots” . Therefore, the hard, curled up holders typically called “tacos” in the US are nothing of the kind.

Bernal Diaz Del Castillo documented the first taco feast enjoyed by Europeans and Cortes himself arranged for the banquet in Coyoacan for these captains. However, the taco predates the European invasion as anthropologists have found evidence that the people living in the lake region of the Valley of Mexico traditionally ate tacos filled with small fish. As this suggests, the content of a taco differs with geographical region, but also, with the time of the day, as there are “early morning tacos, evening tacos and late night tacos.”

This just in, taco's are banned here in arizona! NO taco's, no teachers with accents, not mexican history, no brown people period.

Major Fail.

Okay, when are we New Mexicans gonna get together for some beer and food? I'm hungry...

Me too! Not related to mexican food (although they do serve enchiladas)...have you ever been to Duke's (on Academy and San Mateo)? A friend and I went there today for lunch. It's a steak house,the prices are very reasonable and the food is really good. If not, you should try it.

I haven't tried Duke's, thanks for the tip. My wife and I just relocated here at the end of last year and, though she is from here, we're still working our way through the restaurants. Do you know how long it took me to find palatable BBQ? I'm still not sure I've found it...

Oh Boo! You and Samson!

Driving in California sucks (can't speak for the other cities/states). At least our roads make sense, and most go straight through to your destination. CA roads just stop and then turn into another street that curves in another direction. Then pick up somewhere across town for no good reason. I spent most of my time lost while there.

Our favorite is the Bamboo House on Juan Tabo just south of Indian School. It used to be great and had the cleanest kitchen of any restaurant in town. We used to love the Fortune Cookie near where we live now, but it closed down. There's a new one that has opened on Isleta though and if it is the same owners, it will be excellent. A couple of other really good places we enjoyed have closed. We mostly do our own here at home anymore though so I'm kind of out of the loop on Chinese Food.

Best bar-b-que these days I think is Dickies and the County Line is very good too. There used to be a place near Academy and San Mateo that was the best I've ever had, but the owner died and they couldn't keep it going. Boy I miss that place.

Oh Boo! You and Samson!

Our favorite is the Bamboo House on Juan Tabo just south of Indian School. It used to be great and had the cleanest kitchen of any restaurant in town. We used to love the Fortune Cookie near where we live now, but it closed down. There's a new one that has opened on Isleta though and if it is the same owners, it will be excellent. A couple of other really good places we enjoyed have closed. We mostly do our own here at home anymore though so I'm kind of out of the loop on Chinese Food.

Best bar-b-que these days I think is Dickies and the County Line is very good too. There used to be a place near Academy and San Mateo that was the best I've ever had, but the owner died and they couldn't keep it going. Boy I miss that place.

Bamboo House is the one we usually go to also,it's not bad. We also found one close to our house called Great Fortune... it's alright also. Still looking for a really good place though.

BBQ is another...both of the places I liked to go to closed down. I had forgotten about The County Line...way out there by the Ice Skating Rink on Tramway. May have to take my daughter there....she is always wanting to go to Quarters,but The County Line is better IMO.

I haven't tried Duke's, thanks for the tip. My wife and I just relocated here at the end of last year and, though she is from here, we're still working our way through the restaurants. Do you know how long it took me to find palatable BBQ? I'm still not sure I've found it...

Duke's is a good change of pace,because it's kind of different IMO. They grind their own hamburger,so the burgers are really fresh and they have a few mexican food choices. They also serve baked sweet potatoes and garlic mashed potatoes as a side (along with the usual fries,baked potatoes etc). I didn't drink one,but my friend ordered a wine based margarita that I was told was awesome.

Yep, BBQ is another one that is hard to find around. Working on that one myself.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back