Swiss Region Bans Burqas

If you think a law would be passed against 6 year olds dressing up and that they'd be arrested you are even more stupid than I've been giving you credit for.

Here's the thing.

When someone says NOBODY should be allowed in public with a covered face, what do you think they mean?

All of a sudden these are fine

th

th

M3S5602_0.jpg

Even though they are clearly covering their faces, but this isn't fine:

th

Why? Why do people tolerate people covering up their faces for one reason and not for another reason?

The main reason is that people want to target burkas because Muslims wear them, and now Muslims are the new enemy, so clearly anyone wearing them is a bad person.

Wait....did you just say the West "targets" Muslims????????

Are you nuts????

Pick up paper, and get out once in a while.

Oh, no, the west doesn't target Muslims.

You can cover your face, you can cover your face, you can cover your face, you're Muslims, you can't.

No, the west doesn't target Muslims.

Just last week in Paris Muslims "targeted" several hundred Infidels, you moron.

Perhaps you've heard of the 9/11 "targeting" in NYC?

So, what, six or seven EXTREMIST Muslims killed 160 people in Paris. NONE of them were WOMEN. None of them were wearing Burkas. And so, the response to this action is to prevent female Muslims wearing Burkas.

Okay... why?

In the US last year 14,249 people were murdered, perhaps we need to stop Americans covering their faces in public then, because, they killed a lot more than the attackers in Paris did. 39 people a day die. So let's find some reason that doesn't have anything to do with any of these murders and BAN IT to make ourselves feel good about it.

Gads, you apologists are imbeciles.

Here, another poor "targeted" Muslim who had every right to....well....this:

"SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — There was no outward warning that a quiet 18-year-old would burst into a university classroom and slash fellow students over a dispute about a study group, investigators say.

Faisal Mohammad had no previous run-ins with police and no clues in his past behavior to suggest that the freshman at University of California, Merced, would try to execute an elaborate plan to kill his classmates as revenge for being kicked out of the group, the Merced County Sheriff's Department said.

[Well....there was one clue.}

In some cases of mass violence, assailants leave signs of their intentions.

Background checks with help from the FBI and Homeland Security showed no connections to organized hate or terror groups, the sheriff said. And there was nothing from Mohammad's childhood pointing to violence, investigators said."
Student's university attack came without warning; background shows no propensity for violence

But...but....but....he was 'targeted' out of a study group!!!!!
What else could he do but "execute an elaborate plan to kill his classmates as revenge!"

Here's the thing.

When someone says NOBODY should be allowed in public with a covered face, what do you think they mean?

All of a sudden these are fine

th

th

M3S5602_0.jpg

Even though they are clearly covering their faces, but this isn't fine:

th

Why? Why do people tolerate people covering up their faces for one reason and not for another reason?

The main reason is that people want to target burkas because Muslims wear them, and now Muslims are the new enemy, so clearly anyone wearing them is a bad person.

Wait....did you just say the West "targets" Muslims????????

Are you nuts????

Pick up paper, and get out once in a while.

Oh, no, the west doesn't target Muslims.

You can cover your face, you can cover your face, you can cover your face, you're Muslims, you can't.

No, the west doesn't target Muslims.

Just last week in Paris Muslims "targeted" several hundred Infidels, you moron.

Perhaps you've heard of the 9/11 "targeting" in NYC?

So, what, six or seven EXTREMIST Muslims killed 160 people in Paris. NONE of them were WOMEN. None of them were wearing Burkas. And so, the response to this action is to prevent female Muslims wearing Burkas.

Okay... why?

In the US last year 14,249 people were murdered, perhaps we need to stop Americans covering their faces in public then, because, they killed a lot more than the attackers in Paris did. 39 people a day die. So let's find some reason that doesn't have anything to do with any of these murders and BAN IT to make ourselves feel good about it.

Gads, you apologists are imbeciles.

Here, another poor "targeted" Muslim who had every right to....well....this:

"SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — There was no outward warning that a quiet 18-year-old would burst into a university classroom and slash fellow students over a dispute about a study group, investigators say.

Faisal Mohammad had no previous run-ins with police and no clues in his past behavior to suggest that the freshman at University of California, Merced, would try to execute an elaborate plan to kill his classmates as revenge for being kicked out of the group, the Merced County Sheriff's Department said.

[Well....there was one clue.}

In some cases of mass violence, assailants leave signs of their intentions.

Background checks with help from the FBI and Homeland Security showed no connections to organized hate or terror groups, the sheriff said. And there was nothing from Mohammad's childhood pointing to violence, investigators said."
Student's university attack came without warning; background shows no propensity for violence

But...but....but....he was 'targeted' out of a study group!!!!!
What else could he do but "execute an elaborate plan to kill his classmates as revenge!"

Next thing you know, people like you will be claiming their rights to guns. Rights for us, yes, rights for others no. Funny that.

Are you seriously saying you don't understand why helmets are the law on motorcycles, that they are removed otherwise? Did you also miss me say that I don't think anyone should be covering their faces in public? Did you miss me say I'm not a lawmaker in Switzerland? If so, you should now be up to speed.

This doesn't have to do with safety, this has to do with logic.

You said no one should be covering their faces in public, THEN said that covering your face in public is done for safety reasons in some circumstances.

So, either you can or you can't cover your face in public.

What about Halloween? Is it not okay to cover your face at Halloween? Or any other time? Weddings? Costume parties and so on?
Comparing impermanent situations to women wearing beekeeper suits ALL THE TIME.

Fail.

So, it's okay if you go out and wear a Burka once, but not okay if you wear it every day? How do the police know you've worn it more than once?

Or do they have to arrest you to find out? Then they arrest kids on Halloween and make sure they don't do it again until they get arrested the next year?

Your outlandish hypotheticals have nothing to do with the law that was passed or the reasons it was passed. It's you Leftists that celebrate movies like Vendetta in which terrorists hide behind masks. We consider masked miscreants as target practice for armed citizens. The only reason anyone wants to disguise themselves in public is to commit violence and it's better to follow the Golden Rule: Do unto Leftists before Leftists do unto you.

Hypotheticals? You mean people don't cover their faces at Halloween? Of course they do.

You make a law banning people covering their faces in public, then NOBODY at ANY TIME can cover their faces.

So when it's cold they can't cover their faces, when it's party time they can't cover their faces.

Or should we be honest about things here. The law was passed because the people covering their faces are Muslims, and "fuck Muslims, we hate Muslims, Muslims don't have rights, fuck Muslims and fuck them again"

Right? That's all it's about, it's about Christians declaring their "superiority" over Muslims, making life for Muslims as difficult as possible and telling Muslims "FUCK YOU".

Nothing more than that.
Muslims can wear Halloween masks too. Your argument fails on every level.

I was thinking earlier that maybe the wearing of such clothing is a sign that they ARE extremists? Really, who but an extremist would walk around in 90-degree weather wearing a black burka? You have to be at least a little bit nutty. :D

We don't want people walking into banks with knit face masks or nylons. We don't want people walking around the streets with gas masks. We ask people with hoodies to push them off the head when they enter stores, attend classes and speak to authorities.
Why should we allow a leather face mask or a sheet or material covering the whole body when we have security issues and the safety of other citizens could be at issue. Women can dress modestly but for ID purposes faces need to be seen. Even in areas where cameras use bio-metrics, they need to see the face and body.
Muslims can dress modestly but they don't have the right to hide not just face but body type and even the way they walk when it could endanger others.
Islam does not require a burka only modesty at prayers. Most muslim women even in muslim countries don't wear a burka or cover their face. Trying to make stupid excuses by citing religious freedom is disingenuous. The country also has a right to feel safe and in todays treat level that means scanners, metal detectors, cameras, ID cards, bio-metrics and random searching of bags in some place.
Sorry, public safety trumps mistaken belief that a sheet is an islamic requirement. They are able to practice their faith but that only asks for modesty. Even the veil was an exception and occasionally used by the wives of the prophet. It was not a requirement for all women.
Police and others need to see that dangerous people are not trying to escape justice or perpetrate an attack by hiding under a burka. Sorry no hiding faces, and if asked to submit to searches and identification checks.

The garment is specific to a religion. If they banned kippahs a Muslim man couldn't wear one either but it's an item worn mainly by Jews, and it's a choice...

I have not read the whole thread (yet), but early on I said BAN it. I want to say very clearly PaintMyHouseYellow is showing good to great arguments against my first instinct. Maybe I am wrong? PaintMyHouseYellow has shown plenty of "costumes" that could be considered same thing.

I am going to re-consider. Keep packing those AK-47 underneath whilst' I ponder.

Well, I already posted to this thread that I definitely think it should be a choice. If a woman feels comfortable wearing a burka or something else because that is how she was raised and she feels uncomfortable being any other way, then she should be able to wear it. It is wrong to force someone to wear one, but I think it is also wrong to ban them from wearing it except in certain situations of course.

I agree...once we start banning certain types of clothing...where do we stop? I totally agree with banning it in certain contexts - certain professions where it's a hinderance to doing a job or a safety hazard. But if someone wants to walk down the street wearing a burka...it's their choice in a free country just as it's their choice, as a Muslim woman in a free country not to wear it.
We stop at face masks. That's all we've all been saying afaik.

Again, we're a free country, if people want to cover their face when they're out and about - I could care less. No one used to care - now, suddenly, it's an issue.

We don't want people walking into banks with knit face masks or nylons. We don't want people walking around the streets with gas masks. We ask people with hoodies to push them off the head when they enter stores, attend classes and speak to authorities.
Why should we allow a leather face mask or a sheet or material covering the whole body when we have security issues and the safety of other citizens could be at issue. Women can dress modestly but for ID purposes faces need to be seen. Even in areas where cameras use bio-metrics, they need to see the face and body.
Muslims can dress modestly but they don't have the right to hide not just face but body type and even the way they walk when it could endanger others.
Islam does not require a burka only modesty at prayers. Most muslim women even in muslim countries don't wear a burka or cover their face. Trying to make stupid excuses by citing religious freedom is disingenuous. The country also has a right to feel safe and in todays treat level that means scanners, metal detectors, cameras, ID cards, bio-metrics and random searching of bags in some place.
Sorry, public safety trumps mistaken belief that a sheet is an islamic requirement. They are able to practice their faith but that only asks for modesty. Even the veil was an exception and occasionally used by the wives of the prophet. It was not a requirement for all women.
Police and others need to see that dangerous people are not trying to escape justice or perpetrate an attack by hiding under a burka. Sorry no hiding faces, and if asked to submit to searches and identification checks.

It's not against the law to wear a mask in a bank is it?
It's not against the law to wear a hoodie in a store is it?
I fully appreciate the need to restrict it in certain professions or duties where it can be a safety hazard or there is a need to see the face but otherwise - it's a free society. And I agree - it's not religious, it's a cultural tradition but we are a free country and only Islamic dress (like headscarves) seem to be legislated against.

I fully appreciate the need to restrict it in certain professions or duties where it can be a safety hazard or there is a need to see the face but otherwise - it's a free society. And I agree - it's not religious, it's a cultural tradition but we are a free country and only Islamic dress (like headscarves) seem to be legislated against.
Headscarves are not banned in Switzerland, it's face coverings. And there are bans in place for wearing masks that date back to 1990, in the cantons of Basel-Stadt (1990), Zurich (1995), Bern (1999), Lucerne (2004), Thurgau (2004), Solothurn (2006) and St. Gallen (2009).
There are also states in the US wear the public wearing of masks is banned, the reason seems to usually date back to the KKK, and how often they are enforced now , I know not. Virginia is an example out of several:
(WUSA) — As we’re approaching Halloween, you may want to refrain from wearing your mask in public before the scary day if you live in Virginia. Doing so landed a 19-year-old Spotsylvania man behind bars.

Wearing masks in Virginia’s public places is a felony that could land you behind bars up to 5 years. Attorney Robert Hall showed us the 1960 statute last amended in 1986. The code prohibits anyone older than 16 from wearing masks or hoods except on Halloween or for medical, safety, or weather reasons. Why?

“This was oriented towards making Klu Klux Klan members be less intimidating by requiring them to disclose their identity,” explained Hall.

But what if you’re concealing your identity for religious reasons like many Muslim women? Surprisingly, there is no exemption: according to the law, that too is illegal.

“If someone thought it was important to their reelection or their initial election that they propose the prosecution of someone wearing a burkah, they could get them on this statute,” said Hall.

A Closer Look At The Virginia Mask Law

Last edited:
The garment is specific to a religion. If they banned kippahs a Muslim man couldn't wear one either but it's an item worn mainly by Jews, and it's a choice...

I have not read the whole thread (yet), but early on I said BAN it. I want to say very clearly PaintMyHouseYellow is showing good to great arguments against my first instinct. Maybe I am wrong? PaintMyHouseYellow has shown plenty of "costumes" that could be considered same thing.

I am going to re-consider. Keep packing those AK-47 underneath whilst' I ponder.

Well, I already posted to this thread that I definitely think it should be a choice. If a woman feels comfortable wearing a burka or something else because that is how she was raised and she feels uncomfortable being any other way, then she should be able to wear it. It is wrong to force someone to wear one, but I think it is also wrong to ban them from wearing it except in certain situations of course.

I agree...once we start banning certain types of clothing...where do we stop? I totally agree with banning it in certain contexts - certain professions where it's a hinderance to doing a job or a safety hazard. But if someone wants to walk down the street wearing a burka...it's their choice in a free country just as it's their choice, as a Muslim woman in a free country not to wear it.

Again, we're a free country, if people want to cover their face when they're out and about - I could care less. No one used to care - now, suddenly, it's an issue.
Terrorism.

Terrorism.

I agree.

Extraordinary times require extraordinary measures.

Terrorism.

Uh...no. Terrorism has been around a long time. We've had more terrorist attacks in the US from non-Islamic fruitcakes and I don't see you proposing extraordinary measures to curtail rights in order to combat them.

Terrorism.

I agree.

Only if they're muslim.

there are several states with laws like this, again, usually as a result of the KKK.
Tampa Man Arrested for Wearing Clown Mask in Public
By Kamika Dunlap on February 25, 2010 11:45 AM
Who knew that wearing a clown mask in public could get you arrested in Florida?

That's what happened to a Tampa man who was charged with a somewhat arcane offense of wearing a mask or hood on a public road over the age of 16, the Tampa Tribune reports.

Deputies saw the 18-year-old Matthew Lopez wearing a clown mask and bright red-and-orange wig as he walked down a street with two other people according to the arrest affidavit.

It is not clear why Lopez was wearing the mask, officials said.

The charge is based on a 1951 law designed to combat the Ku Klux Klan, part of the section of Florida's statutes dealing with criminal anarchy and treason.

Deputies followed Lopez and the two others as they walked down the street. When the deputy tried to make contact to question the group, Lopez and another person ran away, according to the arrest report.

The group was later located and Lopez was charged with wearing a mask on a public road and resisting arrest without violence.

A juvenile, who has not been named, also was charged with a misdemeanor.

Both are misdemeanor charges. Lopez has been released from Hillsborough County Jail on $750 bond.

Authorities said this incident is not the first time that someone has been charged for wearing a mask in public.

In 2008, a man was arrested for wearing Batman mask in public. But a judge dismissed the charges and ordered police to return his custom made cowl.

Any disguise in public is illegal, authorities said. Even on Halloween, adults aren't allowed to enter any businesses or stores with their faces covered

there are several states with laws like this, again, usually as a result of the KKK.
By Kamika Dunlap on February 25, 2010 11:45 AM
Who knew that wearing a clown mask in public could get you arrested in Florida?

That's what happened to a Tampa man who was charged with a somewhat arcane offense of wearing a mask or hood on a public road over the age of 16, the Tampa Tribune reports.

Deputies saw the 18-year-old Matthew Lopez wearing a clown mask and bright red-and-orange wig as he walked down a street with two other people according to the arrest affidavit.

It is not clear why Lopez was wearing the mask, officials said.

The charge is based on a 1951 law designed to combat the Ku Klux Klan, part of the section of Florida's statutes dealing with criminal anarchy and treason.

Deputies followed Lopez and the two others as they walked down the street. When the deputy tried to make contact to question the group, Lopez and another person ran away, according to the arrest report.

The group was later located and Lopez was charged with wearing a mask on a public road and resisting arrest without violence.

A juvenile, who has not been named, also was charged with a misdemeanor.

Both are misdemeanor charges. Lopez has been released from Hillsborough County Jail on $750 bond.

Authorities said this incident is not the first time that someone has been charged for wearing a mask in public.

In 2008, a man was arrested for wearing Batman mask in public. But a judge dismissed the charges and ordered police to return his custom made cowl.

Any disguise in public is illegal, authorities said. Even on Halloween, adults aren't allowed to enter any businesses or stores with their faces covered

Interesting...sounds like an old law seldom enforced.

Terrorism.

Uh...no. Terrorism has been around a long time. We've had more terrorist attacks in the US from non-Islamic fruitcakes and I don't see you proposing extraordinary measures to curtail rights in order to combat them.
False premise. There is no "right" to conceal one's identity in public.

B

But it isn't suddenly an issue. Banning masks has been debated in terms of law making in many countries for decades because masks are tools Used by criminals of all sorts. Several of these debates have resulted in laws, yes even in the US, and long before burqa's were a sight on Western streets. In the US, these laws were anti- criminal and often an attempt to prevent KKK members from going about there business in disguise. And actually I'd say that most people don't like to see other people walking about concealed behind face coverings unless it's Mardi Gras or whatever, or freezing cold. Concealing ones identity is associated in many people's minds with criminal activity, that's just how it is. The Swiss have acted on that, as is their right.

Last edited:

Terrorism.

I agree.

Only if they're muslim.
Requiring Muslims to act like the rest of society is not discrimination. In fact, it's the opposite.

Terrorism.

False premise. There is no "right" to conceal one's identity in public.

Did not say there was.

Terrorism.

I agree.

Only if they're muslim.
Requiring Muslims to act like the rest of society is not discrimination. In fact, it's the opposite.

They do act like the rest of society.

I find muffin tops offensive. Shall we ban spandex on people of a certain body type? And then there's butt crack. Let's not even go there. That's why they make duct tape.

Forum List

Back