Swiss arrest Polanski on US request in sex case

Actually a more accurate definition would be:

"the trait of appreciating and being able to express the humorous"

Just because I didn't find you funny does not mean you can change definitions to justify your ineptitude...
:rolleyes: Would you like a shovel?

I could use one, not just in this thread, I need something to hit someone over the head elsewhere.....:D
How about a joke instead?

A wife asked her husband: "What do you like most in me - my pretty face or my sexy body?"

He looked at her from head to toe and replied: "I like your sense of humor."

The plea, in Polanski's case, left OPEN the question of what his sentence might ultimately be.

The New Yorker Magazine

"Polanski didn’t flee judgment, however—he pled guilty to a crime, under a plea-bargain agreement. I would have had no problem with Polanski being found guilty, back then, of a more serious offense and serving a long jail term for what he did. But that’s not what happened; the prosecution didn’t seek any such sentence; it sought probation, Polanski pled guilty under those terms, and fled to France only after learning of Judge Laurence Rittenband’s plan (as detailed in the documentary “Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired”) to override the agreement, after illegal consultation with another prosecutor uninvolved in the case, and imprison him for a long time."
t.

Last edited:
Plea bargains get over-ridden all the time. That isn't an excuse. Judges set sentencing, not prosecutors.
You're making even less sense than normal. And that's saying something.

Then he can be returned and the process resumed at the point just before the alleged illegal dealings by the judge. Polanski, for whatever reason, interrupted the process. That he may have been the potential victim of an alleged corrupt judge may be some sort of amelioration in sentencing for doing a runner but that doesn't mean the original process shouldn't be resumed on the basis it had been agreed by the various parties.

The plea, in Polanski's case, left OPEN the question of what his sentence might ultimately be.

The New Yorker Magazine

"Polanski didn’t flee judgment, however—he pled guilty to a crime, under a plea-bargain agreement. I would have had no problem with Polanski being found guilty, back then, of a more serious offense and serving a long jail term for what he did. But that’s not what happened; the prosecution didn’t seek any such sentence; it sought probation, Polanski pled guilty under those terms, and fled to France only after learning of Judge Laurence Rittenband’s plan (as detailed in the documentary “Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired”) to override the agreement, after illegal consultation with another prosecutor uninvolved in the case, and imprison him for a long time."
t.

What point are you trying to make?

The New Yorker Magazine

t.

The New Yorker magazine article is flatly wrong.

The plea terms were spelled out on the record.

The scumbag took his plea with FULL understanding that he was pleading guilty to the lesser count felony in exchange for an OPEN promise. He COULD get probation or he might get jail and it was up to the judge and Polanski AGREED to that, too.

You can change the font size and the color of some asswipe's expressed (and clearly erroneous) opinion all you want. I like emphasis too. But it would be helpful if what you chose to highlight was actually correct on a factual level. And in your case, it just isn't.

Did you bother to read the transcript? Roman Polanski Plea Transcript - September 28, 2009 It's not all that long. I can explain any portion of it you find confusing. But simply denying what it clearly says on its face is not "debate."

The FACTS are irrefutable. He did the criminal acts because he admitted it under oath in exchange for an OPEN plea promise. And then he FLED. Now, he's getting packaged for a return visit. Good. Fuck him, that rotten old prick. I hope they throw in some new charges once he gets here so they can pile on some additional years.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Lost in all this is that he's waaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated as a director anyway. A couple of good flicks mixed in with a mountain of horrible shit.

Lost in all this is that he's waaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated as a director anyway. A couple of good flicks mixed in with a mountain of horrible shit.

Not to mention the actors coming to his rescue, most of them are over rated too. I do not disagree with you on his tallent, but even if the guy was a freaking artstic genius, it does not excuse his behavior.

Yes, did you. I can explain any portion of it you find confusing.

Read pages 15 and 16th:

IF THE COURT DOES NOT ACCEPT THE PLEA AGREEMENT THE DEFENDANT WILL BE ALLOW TO WITHDRAW THE PLEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The scumbag "judge" was not going to allow him to withdraw the plea. Mr. Polanski had no choice but to get the fuck out of Dodge.

:eek::eek:

The scumbag "judge" was not going to allow him to withdraw the plea. Mr. Polanski had no choice but to get the fuck out of Dodge.

Seems to me if he wanted to withdraw his plea he SHOULD HAVE stayed to face whatever charges he was going to get at that point. So he did have a choice.

Read pages 15 and 16th:

IF THE COURT DOES NOT ACCEPT THE PLEA AGREEMENT THE DEFENDANT WILL BE ALLOW TO WITHDRAW THE PLEA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are woefully ignorant. That is NOT what the transcript says.

It SAYS that the judge is the one who determines what the defendant's sentence will be. Either probation OR time, and Polanski AGREED to that.

THEN -- after the report comes in -- the judge gets to determine whether or not it will abide by the plea. In other words, if the judge were to conclude that the plea TO THE LESSER COUNT was not consistent with justice, he could void the plea agreement. That's STANDARD. Of course, since it was an AGREEMENT, the judge could not unilaterally both void the agreement and compel the defendant to suffer the consequences (i.e., more time than was initially contemplated). Thus, as required by law, if the judge were to say, "I cannot abide by the terms of the plea agreement, and I intend to give you more time," THEN the defendant would be permitted to withdraw his guilty plea.

And it was only AFTER the judge READ that STANDARD part of California LAW to the defendant that he actually pleaded guilty.

So what? That's standard. HE'd get to go to trial instead. STILL no denial of due process.

Seems to me if he wanted to withdraw his plea he SHOULD HAVE stayed to face whatever charges he was going to get at that point. So he did have a choice.

Let me see, you be smoking Mexican Sinsemilla, right?

Read pages 15 and 16th:

It SAYS that the judge is the one who determines what the defendant's sentence will be. Either probation OR time, and Polanski AGREED to that.

THEN -- after the report comes in -- the judge gets to determine whether or not it will abide by the plea. In other words, if the judge were to conclude that the plea TO THE LESSER COUNT was not consistent with justice, he could void the plea agreement. That's STANDARD. Of course, since it was an AGREEMENT, the judge could not unilaterally both void the agreement and compel the defendant to suffer the consequences (i.e., more time than was initially contemplated). Thus, as required by law, if the judge were to say, "I cannot abide by the terms of the plea agreement, and I intend to give you more time," THEN the defendant would be permitted to withdraw his guilty plea.

And it was only AFTER the judge READ that STANDARD part of California LAW to the defendant that he actually pleaded guilty.

So what? That's standard. HE'd get to go to trial instead. STILL no denial of due process.

I think you are wasting your time. Some people choose to NOT comprehend, merely for the sake of disagreement and attention, kwim?

Read pages 15 and 16th:

Contumacious rests.

.Next case, please.

So, instead of telling me how I am wrong and explaining how that was not actually a choice, you are just going to attack me personally.

Thanks alot...asshole.

So, instead of telling me how I am wrong and explaining how that was not actually a choice, you are just going to attack me personally.

Thanks alot...asshole.

It's because he has no arguments. You at least just ignore the posts. That makes you better than a Jew-hating conspiracy theorist. Congrats.

Thanks alot...asshole.

It's because he has no arguments. You at least just ignore the posts. That makes you better than a Jew-hating conspiracy theorist. Congrats.

And you just tell people that you can't read once you realize you have been made to look like a fucktard...that doesn't make you better than anything...

Compared to you, he looks like a scholar and a gentleman. Compared to him, you just look like a scrotum and a genital...

Thanks alot...asshole.

And you just tell people that you can't read once you realize you have been made to look like a fucktard...that doesn't make you better than anything...

Compared to you, he looks like a scholar and a gentleman. Compared to him, you just look like a scrotum and a genital...

When all you have is a hammer I guess everything else looks like a nail.

When all you have is a hammer I guess everything else looks like a nail.

Yep, and I hit the nail right on the head.

Sprinkling a little bit of sugar in a bottle of vinegar does not make it any sweeter.

Forum List

Back