Sweden has decided to allow Ukrainian pilots to train in flying the JAS39 Gripen fighter jet.

Litwin

Platinum Member
Sep 3, 2017
GDL&Sweden
Our Gripens will EAT UP THE barbarian - rapists brains and livers :thup:

russian-soldier-as-a-pig-stealing-washing-machine.jpg

Is Sweden still flying the Viggen?
No, they were all retired.

They have around 15 Gripen C in storage though, and Embraer just opened a new production line in Brazil for Gripen E.

There will be a lot of C/D's coming available between now and 2030 as the E/F replaces existing C/D's.

No, they were all retired.

They have around 15 Gripen C in storage though, and Embraer just opened a new production line in Brazil for Gripen E.

There will be a lot of C/D's coming available between now and 2030 as the E/F replaces existing C/D's.
I remember SAAB also made the Dragen(?)

That Gripen is a costly piece of equipment. Making it in Brazil, will that make a difference in it's price?

I thought the war would be over in a matter of weeks, with Russia running away?

Sounds like they are planning for the long haul. Is this going to be another quagmire, decades long war?

This Aircraft Was Designed For War With moscow empire - Discussing the Gripen and F-16 with Alex Hollings​

I remember SAAB also made the Dragen(?)
Yessir, Draken was an interceptor that predated the Viggen. Sweden has a very mature aerospace sector, they've been building fighter jets since the late 1940's. Not all of them have been pretty, but they have all been pretty good jets.

I think Gripen is the sexiest little delta canard ever built, I just love those jets. I normally don't go for deltas, but Gripen is Yowza! 😍
That Gripen is a costly piece of equipment. Making it in Brazil, will that make a difference in it's price?
Probably not, but the price doesn't mean that much as these deals are always about the offsets and tech transfers. The line in Brazil will build jets for the Brazil Air Force, but it's also intended to be the main manufacturing plant for export Gripens.

At one time, the plan was to build a Gripen plant in Lviv, but it was shelved after the 2014 annexation of Crimea.

Just about all of the C/D models in service today will be replaced by E/F models by the end of the decade, so there will be a lot of C/D's come available.

Incidentally, Gripen and Flanker have done DACT. The Royal Thai Air Force put their Gripen C's up against China's J-11's in an exercise called Falcon Strike 2015.

In the WVR portion, the Flankers beat the Gripen thanks to it's superior acceleration, better sustained turn rate, and a primitive but functional helmet mounted sight that allows the pilot to slew the R-73's seeker without having to point the nose of the AC at the target.

In the BVR portion, it was the opposite. The Gripen beat the Flanker 39-0. A better MRAAM, better radar, and lower RCS gave the Gripen driver the shot before the Flanker could even get a radar target.

Gripens armed with Meteor missiles in Ukrainian hands would change the equation in a way the F-16A/B's can't. Ukraine A2A battles are all BVR- as it stands now, the VKS has total advantage in that arena. The only UAF kills were very early in the war, when they were able to lure in the Russian pilots to close range and get a shot with a heater. But the Russians wised up quick to that one, and stopped taking the bait.

Yessir, Draken was an interceptor that predated the Viggen. Sweden has a very mature aerospace sector, they've been building fighter jets since the late 1940's. Not all of them have been pretty, but they have all been pretty good jets.

I think Gripen is the sexiest little delta canard ever built, I just love those jets. I normally don't go for deltas, but Gripen is Yowza! 😍

Probably not, but the price doesn't mean that much as these deals are always about the offsets and tech transfers. The line in Brazil will build jets for the Brazil Air Force, but it's also intended to be the main manufacturing plant for export Gripens.

At one time, the plan was to build a Gripen plant in Lviv, but it was shelved after the 2014 annexation of Crimea.

Just about all of the C/D models in service today will be replaced by E/F models by the end of the decade, so there will be a lot of C/D's come available.

Incidentally, Gripen and Flanker have done DACT. The Royal Thai Air Force put their Gripen C's up against China's J-11's in an exercise called Falcon Strike 2015.

In the WVR portion, the Flankers beat the Gripen thanks to it's superior acceleration, better sustained turn rate, and a primitive but functional helmet mounted sight that allows the pilot to slew the R-73's seeker without having to point the nose of the AC at the target.

In the BVR portion, it was the opposite. The Gripen beat the Flanker 39-0. A better MRAAM, better radar, and lower RCS gave the Gripen driver the shot before the Flanker could even get a radar target.

Gripens armed with Meteor missiles in Ukrainian hands would change the equation in a way the F-16A/B's can't. Ukraine A2A battles are all BVR- as it stands now, the VKS has total advantage in that arena. The only UAF kills were very early in the war, when they were able to lure in the Russian pilots to close range and get a shot with a heater. But the Russians wised up quick to that one, and stopped taking the bait.
"I think Gripen is the sexiest little delta canard" And somewhat like the F-16 Delta canard but more $$$ than an F-35.

"I think Gripen is the sexiest little delta canard" And somewhat like the F-16 Delta canard but more $$$ than an F-35.
The F-16XL was a delta with an ugly wing and no canards, the F-35 is a fairly ugly conventional tailplane. Gripen is definitely not more $$$ than an F-35!

We like conventional tailplanes, the euros just like delta canards. Rafale isn't bad, but it just doesn't have the proportions of Gripen. Typhoon is downright homely. Gripen is just perfectly proportioned to my eye. It was love at first sight, lol.

Both designs have their pros and cons, All else equal, deltas bleed off speed faster in a sustained turn, and will have a higher pitch angles and landing speeds than a conventional tailplane. The canards can also block the pilot's view at some angles. But deltas tend to be more efficient at the high end, because they are less draggy and the canards are working with the wing instead of opposite. Horses for courses...

Last edited:
The F-16XL was a delta with an ugly wing and no canards, the F-35 is a fairly ugly conventional tailplane. Gripen is definitely not more $$$ than an F-35!

We like conventional tailplanes, the euros just like delta canards. Rafale isn't bad, but it just doesn't have the proportions of Gripen. Typhoon is downright homely. Gripen is just perfectly proportioned to my eye. It was love at first sight, lol.

Both designs have their pros and cons, All else equal, deltas bleed off speed faster in a sustained turn, and will have a higher pitch angles and landing speeds than a conventional tailplane. The canards can also block the pilot's view at some angles. But deltas tend to be more efficient at the high end, because they are less draggy and the canards are working with the wing instead of opposite. Horses for courses...

These will be older AIM-9L's I expect, based on the number. Claimed to have an 80% pK by the Brits in the Falklands, but I think it was really closer to 60%.

Useful against the cruise missiles and drones and a lot cheaper to shoot than AMRAAM, but not game-changing.

The VKS will most likely pull the Su-34's back when the F-16's arrive. Right now they are lobbing FAB-500's (with crude wing kits) from about 40km. The F-16 w/AMRAAM will make that a very high-risk proposition...

Forum List

Back