Susan Estrich Obama has no mandate to raise my taxes

Jroc

יעקב כהן
Oct 19, 2010
Michigan
It seems not all liberals want their taxes raised..

susanestrich.jpg

I did not vote for Obama because I think I am paying too little in taxes.
Like many people I know, I am "rich" by Obama's standards. I pay more taxes, percentage wise, than Mitt Romney and Warren Buffett, because I earn virtually every penny of my income.

I work. And yes, all those deductions that allow the truly rich to not work, or at least to not work all the jobs I do, make me angry.

I am all for closing loopholes. I am all for ending deductions for things I don't even understand. But I am not for putting a low cap on deductions that would make it all but impossible for the charities I support to raise funds. I am not for putting a limit on the mortgage deduction that would mean, as a practical matter, that "middle class" (not rich) people in California would be priced out of the housing market, and the charities I support would not be able to raise what they need to survive.

And frankly, I don't think I'm alone. As a matter of fact, on this one, I don't think 51 percent of all Americans are to my "left" — if that's how you define the higher tax constituency.

Obama needs to be very careful. Yes, he was re-elected. But so were all those folks who blocked the extension of the Bush tax cuts if they excluded individuals and small businesses who make enough money to qualify as rich — but not enough to send their kids to college, or help their aging parents, or buy a home in a decent neighborhood.

We need to avoid going over the fiscal cliff. But Obama must also avoid the political cliff.
One of the amazing things about this country is that the middle class doesn't hate the rich. We are not a society divided by economic castes. Yes, there are real issues as the gap between the top and the middle, between CEOs and those in good but not great jobs, grows. But beginning a new term with what will look to many like a class war is not the way to fulfill the real mandate of this election, which is to bring us together, not turn us against each other.

(Susan Estrich is a professor of Law and Political Science at the University of Southern California Law Center. A best-selling author, lawyer and politician, as well as a teacher, she first gained national prominence as national campaign manager for Dukakis for President in 1988.)

Susan Estrich - I'm 'rich' & Obama has no mandate to raise my taxes

Last edited:
Well, she's an idiot if she thought her taxes weren't going to go up.

The man ran on raising taxes. He said in damn near every speech that he wanted to raise taxes. Only an idiot would cast their vote for him and then whine that he did exactly what he pledged to do.

She's counting on the Republican house to stop him...How ironic that is:eusa_eh:

The man ran on raising taxes. He said in damn near every speech that he wanted to raise taxes. Only an idiot would cast their vote for him and then whine that he did exactly what he pledged to do.

She's counting on the Republican house to stop him...How ironic that is:eusa_eh:

The sad part is, I bet there are a lot of people who voted for Obama counting on the same thing.

President Obama has a mandate to raise taxes on wealthy Americans, senior campaign adviser David Axelrod said on Sunday on CBS’s Face the Nation.

Obama has threatened to veto any bill that that does not allow tax rates to rise on households that earn more than $250,000 a year. Asked if Obama has won a mandate with his election victory, despite winning by a small percentage, Axelrod did not answer directly, but said Obama had won a mandate on taxes.

“On this particular issue, it wasn't close,” Axlerod said, citing exit polling that show about 60 percent of voters agreed with Obama’s position on taxes.

Axelrod: Obama Has Tax Mandate - Yahoo! News

President Obama has a mandate to raise taxes on wealthy Americans, senior campaign adviser David Axelrod said on Sunday on CBS’s Face the Nation.

Obama has threatened to veto any bill that that does not allow tax rates to rise on households that earn more than $250,000 a year. Asked if Obama has won a mandate with his election victory, despite winning by a small percentage, Axelrod did not answer directly, but said Obama had won a mandate on taxes.

“On this particular issue, it wasn't close,” Axlerod said, citing exit polling that show about 60 percent of voters agreed with Obama’s position on taxes.

Axelrod is running the country now scary...Your life wont improve once taxes are raised idiot

Axelrod is running the country now scary...Your life wont improve once taxes are raised idiot

Hey, Sparky, 60% is a MANDATE.

Last edited:

I don't think Republicans should stand in his way... Let him raise Taxes in this economy and see how fast we become Greece. Obama owns this mess now.

Yes, he has a mandate.

I agree.

Strip Ashley Judd of all her wealth. You own it right? Now strip Speilberg of all his wealth.

You own it right?

Chris Rock. Strip him of his wealth. You own Lakhota right? You earned your chunk of Chris Rock's wealth right?

You Lakhota have the right to all their wealth just because you were born in an Obama world.

Last edited:

Hey, Sparky, 60% is a MANDATE.

hey I have no problem with this. I'm singing away to stairway to heaven as you are flushing yourself down the toilet.

Make the Kennedy family give up their cash. Give it. I can't wait. Make those bastards bleed.

Let's do this.

Now the Pelosis. Lets do it. I will love this equalization

Last edited:
Ok libs let's make all the rich people pay. That includes Theresa and Hillary. Let's strip them bare.

We need to avoid going over the fiscal cliff. But Obama must also avoid the political cliff. One of the amazing things about this country is that the middle class doesn't hate the rich. We are not a society divided by economic castes. Yes, there are real issues as the gap between the top and the middle, between CEOs and those in good but not great jobs, grows. But beginning a new term with what will look to many like a class war is not the way to fulfill the real mandate of this election, which is to bring us together, not turn us against each other.
Obviously nothing can be done about perception – regardless how detached from reality it may be.

Returning to more responsible, realistic tax structure is not ‘war on the rich,’ to believe so is idiocy, or more likely partisan contrivance and dishonesty.

We need to avoid going over the fiscal cliff. But Obama must also avoid the political cliff. One of the amazing things about this country is that the middle class doesn't hate the rich. We are not a society divided by economic castes. Yes, there are real issues as the gap between the top and the middle, between CEOs and those in good but not great jobs, grows. But beginning a new term with what will look to many like a class war is not the way to fulfill the real mandate of this election, which is to bring us together, not turn us against each other.
Obviously nothing can be done about perception – regardless how detached from reality it may be.

Returning to more responsible, realistic tax structure is not ‘war on the rich,’ to believe so is idiocy, or more likely partisan contrivance and dishonesty.

Realistic Tax structure? And you talk about dishonesty. In order to return to a realistic Tax structure you must first engage in realistic spending... Sorry, but Taxing people into oblivion in this piss poor economy to save ridiculous hand out programs is a one way ticket to the economy of Greece.

Forum List

Back