Survival

I LOVE THOSE SHOWS!

Survivor man, Duel survival and we got a new one, "Man, Woman, and Wild" which is pretty informative as well. I'm with you on Man vs Wild, his show is more on WHAT NOT TO DO, imo.

No, I have never tried the survival techniques, but I have soaked in what they have shown and know I would remember them if it ever came down to it!
Me too. I like Suvivorman. I've seen a few episodes. Never seen the others. I heard that Survivorman had a show on urban survivor, but I haven't seen it. That is one I would like to see.

So, question for all: If you know all Hell is going to break loose - the entire infrastructure goes into a sudden catastrophic fail, for example - and you have the choice to buy one item before it does, would you buy shelter (like a good tent/coat/blanket/whatever) or a firearm with ammunition included?

I'd load up on the guns and ammo, I can make shelter out of different things, harder to create a 12 Ga. pump with shells:tongue:

I LOVE THOSE SHOWS!

Survivor man, Duel survival and we got a new one, "Man, Woman, and Wild" which is pretty informative as well. I'm with you on Man vs Wild, his show is more on WHAT NOT TO DO, imo.

No, I have never tried the survival techniques, but I have soaked in what they have shown and know I would remember them if it ever came down to it!
Me too. I like Suvivorman. I've seen a few episodes. Never seen the others. I heard that Survivorman had a show on urban survivor, but I haven't seen it. That is one I would like to see.

So, question for all: If you know all Hell is going to break loose - the entire infrastructure goes into a sudden catastrophic fail, for example - and you have the choice to buy one item before it does, would you buy shelter (like a good tent/coat/blanket/whatever) or a firearm with ammunition included?
ammo and guns, when people are starving to death and without clean water, they will come after those who have prepared....famine brings ugliness...just look at Hansel and Gretel, they were dropped off in the woods because their parents could not afford to feed them anymore and needed their food supplies for fewer family members....sure it is a fairy tale, but people were actually doing this, during times of great famine in the past....it gets uglier than ugly....if you have any supplies stored up, you won;t have them for long, without protection....

If something like this does happen, it'll be much worse for those in cities and more populated areas imho..... NOT that I even think something like this will happen, but I always wanted to be a Boy Scout when I was a kid, even though a girl!

Always be prepared!
Good points for ammo and gun.

ammo and guns, when people are starving to death and without clean water, they will come after those who have prepared....famine brings ugliness...just look at Hansel and Gretel, they were dropped off in the woods because their parents could not afford to feed them anymore and needed their food supplies for fewer family members....sure it is a fairy tale, but people were actually doing this, during times of great famine in the past....it gets uglier than ugly....if you have any supplies stored up, you won;t have them for long, without protection....

If something like this does happen, it'll be much worse for those in cities and more populated areas imho..... NOT that I even think something like this will happen, but I always wanted to be a Boy Scout when I was a kid, even though a girl!

Always be prepared!

I firearm is always good but a kukri never runs out of ammo

[youtube]z7dS8YWqymo&feature[/youtube]

Wow, better than a machete! But, what if those trying to attack you, have guns and ammo, how will this knife protect you and your family from that...?

Great to have in the woods with you, though and we will definitely look in to getting one!

Thanks!

Always be prepared!

I firearm is always good but a kukri never runs out of ammo

[youtube]z7dS8YWqymo&feature[/youtube]

Wow, better than a machete! But, what if those trying to attack you, have guns and ammo, how will this knife protect you and your family from that...?

Great to have in the woods with you, though and we will definitely look in to getting one!

Thanks!
A firearm is good to have and I'm not saying you shouldn't but it's hard to carry an unlimited supply of ammo.

I figure this is a good thread to buy a few reps.
ENJOY !:lol::lol::lol:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRaAyVR1haE]YouTube - Pat Boone - Woodland Survival[/ame]

I was lucky as a kid. We lived on Orcas Island. Lots of edible small game, roots and plants, fresh water streams and springs. I went out for 2-3 days between 12 and 14 years old several times by myself with minimal gear. 22 rifle, small box of ammo, hunting knife, hatchet, couple of lengths of rope, canteen, cook kit, matches, string, poncho, no tent or sleeping bag. I'd go out a mile or two in the wilderness. Nothing as desperate as being dropped out of a chopper 50 mies out in truly bad terraine. I was a boy scout at the same time frame. I enjoyed my outtings more than the ones with the scouts.

You know, I question whether hard times necessarily bring out the worst in people every time.

In every natural disaster I've ever been in people actually went out of their way to help their neighbors.

I guess if things get truly truly horrible anarchy will rule the day.

But I think in most circumstances and with most people, when things break down people actually become more civil, more cooperative, and generally better citizens than they are during normal times.

At least that's been my limited experience when the infrastructure breaks down.

I was lucky as a kid. We lived on Orcas Island. Lots of edible small game, roots and plants, fresh water streams and springs. I went out for 2-3 days between 12 and 14 years old several times by myself with minimal gear. 22 rifle, small box of ammo, hunting knife, hatchet, couple of lengths of rope, canteen, cook kit, matches, string, poncho, no tent or sleeping bag. I'd go out a mile or two in the wilderness. Nothing as desperate as being dropped out of a chopper 50 mies out in truly bad terraine. I was a boy scout at the same time frame. I enjoyed my outtings more than the ones with the scouts.

I spent some time on Orcas Island a few years ago. Beautiful place.

You know, I question whether hard times necessarily bring out the worst in people every time.

In every natural disaster I've ever been in people actually went out of their way to help their neighbors.

But I think in most circumstances and with most people, when things break down people actually become more civil, more cooperative, and generally better citizens than they are during normal times.

Is anyone watching The Colony??

I agree with a normal natural disaster, people tend to socialize more, and are civil...

But in a long term disaster, let's say we get zapped by some major solar storm and the electric grids go down for a few years....that means no clean water being pumped, no gasoline to transport goods or to drive the tractors in farming, no internet, no tv, even no fuel for generators, and no power to even fix what is wrong with the grids etc....

you are looking at massive starvation and massive clean water shortages...from our history, of the great famines of the past, things get very very very ugly....each man fending for himself....yes, there still may be small groups of people in a clan, fending for themselves, but ugly none the less.

Have you ever watched the series on National Geographic or the Discovery Channel called "the colony"?

Humans are only divided by the governments and religions that oppress them.
Douger.Sept. 1, 2010

I spent some time on Orcas Island a few years ago. Beautiful place.

The 5 waterfront acres of the original 130 was sold by my mom about three or four years ago. It is shown in the provided link. The Beach House was remodled, they turned the bottom floor into guest rooms. There are 4 other homes on th property now. Enjoy the scenery!

Orcas Island Vacation Rental, B&B Lodgings and Weddings

4db35_SurvivalTrackingGuide.jpg

Will be going to a survival seminar again in Oct. As far as going out on one's own with minimal gear, I have done much of that. And had a couple of close calls from either stubborness or failure to access the lay of the land correctly.

Personally, I like to carry extra food, because of the chance of being there longer than planned. Freezed dried does not weigh much, provided there is accessable water where you are at.

Were I to have to choose a gun for a long term survival situation among those I presently own, it would be the 22 Magnum rifle. Extremely accurate, killing range for deer to 200 yards. And fify rounds of ammo weighs very little. Were I wanting to buy a survival rifle, someone used to make a over-under combo, 22 Mag on top, 410 on bottom. A 410 slug is pretty potent, and, with shot, a pretty good bird gun.

As far as the human factor in survival, I guess that would depend on your rapport with your neighbors. the Mormon idea of two years of supplies is a good idea.

i survive by not going into the woods and doing stupid mal...

i am not much on any of the survival shows....if a helicopter is gonna pick you up....you are hardly doing it on your own...the dude without shoes...makes no sense to me...

i dont understand why anyone would go on a hike without a few basic things....a lighter etc always a lighter...if worse comes to worse you start a fire and wait....a knife is a good thing to have too.

Agreed. There's nothing quite like stepping on a sharp piece of shale, Velvet Ant, Timber Rattler, or bottom of a broken whisky bottle.

Always a good practice to carry a pack containing essentials and maybe a bottle of fine spirits to see one or more through that first scary night in whatever wilderness we choose to lose ourselves in.

A knife is a good thing to always have.

Have any of you ever just walked out into the woods for a few days with nothing but what you can carry in your pockets?

I have to admit I love shows like Survivor Man and Dual Survival

I actually heard about Cody Lundin years ago and thought he was pretty cool.

I do not watch Man vs Wild as I see that show as a sensationalized version of exactly what not to do in a survival situation.

But to get back to the original question. Have you ever put yourself in a survival situation?

And would you think it fun to practice the needed skills in a semi controlled environment?

Try 6 weeks in the jungles of Cambodia with only what you carry.
And people trying to kill ya.

Challenging yes, fun no.

Have any of you ever just walked out into the woods for a few days with nothing but what you can carry in your pockets?

I have to admit I love shows like Survivor Man and Dual Survival

I actually heard about Cody Lundin years ago and thought he was pretty cool.

I do not watch Man vs Wild as I see that show as a sensationalized version of exactly what not to do in a survival situation.

But to get back to the original question. Have you ever put yourself in a survival situation?

And would you think it fun to practice the needed skills in a semi controlled environment?

Try 6 weeks in the jungles of Cambodia with only what you carry.
And people trying to kill ya.

Challenging yes, fun no.

Wow, that pretty much out-does everyone else's survival skills and any other future talk of such.

Tell me, why were these people trying to kill you ?

Forum List

Back