Survival

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
Have any of you ever just walked out into the woods for a few days with nothing but what you can carry in your pockets?

I have to admit I love shows like Survivor Man and Dual Survival

I actually heard about Cody Lundin years ago and thought he was pretty cool.

I do not watch Man vs Wild as I see that show as a sensationalized version of exactly what not to do in a survival situation.

But to get back to the original question. Have you ever put yourself in a survival situation?

And would you think it fun to practice the needed skills in a semi controlled environment?

And I like the show with the two guys, one is barefoot, and they go over survival skills.

I have not. But my 17 year old has shown interest and mentioned he'd like to do just that. I also just finished reading The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen with my youngest.

I wouldn't mind learning and practicing the skills, in a controlled environment.

i survive by not going into the woods and doing stupid mal...

i am not much on any of the survival shows....if a helicopter is gonna pick you up....you are hardly doing it on your own...the dude without shoes...makes no sense to me...

i dont understand why anyone would go on a hike without a few basic things....a lighter etc always a lighter...if worse comes to worse you start a fire and wait....a knife is a good thing to have too.

I've backpacked for years in all seasons and all weather. Some pretty scary shit a few times.

I've constantly tried to bring less and less gear not only to save weight and cover more ground but to enhance the experience of being alone in the wilderness.

I can be extremely comfortable for a few days with minimal gear.

I'm in the process of putting together a small kit. I'm going to try heading out with just the kit, a blade and some jerky for a couple nights.

No but I love those shows. I have gone in the back country camping before and loved it but I had a horse to ride and a mule carrying enough provisions to not have to worry about anything plus fire power in case of a bear attack,lol.

I LOVE THOSE SHOWS!

Survivor man, Duel survival and we got a new one, "Man, Woman, and Wild" which is pretty informative as well. I'm with you on Man vs Wild, his show is more on WHAT NOT TO DO, imo.

No, I have never tried the survival techniques, but I have soaked in what they have shown and know I would remember them if it ever came down to it!

I've backpacked for years in all seasons and all weather. Some pretty scary shit a few times.

I've constantly tried to bring less and less gear not only to save weight and cover more ground but to enhance the experience of being alone in the wilderness.

I can be extremely comfortable for a few days with minimal gear.

I'm in the process of putting together a small kit. I'm going to try heading out with just the kit, a blade and some jerky for a couple nights.

Does backpacking to a kegger, and being too stupid to really bring anything count?

And bring a piece of plastic if it is going to be sunny. You can create water that way. :D

I LOVE THOSE SHOWS!

Survivor man, Duel survival and we got a new one, "Man, Woman, and Wild" which is pretty informative as well. I'm with you on Man vs Wild, his show is more on WHAT NOT TO DO, imo.

No, I have never tried the survival techniques, but I have soaked in what they have shown and know I would remember them if it ever came down to it!
Me too. I like Suvivorman. I've seen a few episodes. Never seen the others. I heard that Survivorman had a show on urban survivor, but I haven't seen it. That is one I would like to see.

So, question for all: If you know all Hell is going to break loose - the entire infrastructure goes into a sudden catastrophic fail, for example - and you have the choice to buy one item before it does, would you buy shelter (like a good tent/coat/blanket/whatever) or a firearm with ammunition included?

I LOVE THOSE SHOWS!

Me too. I like Suvivorman. I've seen a few episodes. Never seen the others. I heard that Survivorman had a show on urban survivor, but I haven't seen it. That is one I would like to see.

So, question for all: If you know all Hell is going to break loose - the entire infrastructure goes into a sudden catastrophic fail, for example - and you have the choice to buy one item before it does, would you buy shelter (like a good tent/coat/blanket/whatever) or a firearm with ammunition included?

I'd load up on the guns and ammo, I can make shelter out of different things, harder to create a 12 Ga. pump with shells:tongue:

Have any of you ever just walked out into the woods for a few days with nothing but what you can carry in your pockets?

I do not watch Man vs Wild as I see that show as a sensationalized version of exactly what not to do in a survival situation.

But to get back to the original question. Have you ever put yourself in a survival situation?

And would you think it fun to practice the needed skills in a semi controlled environment?

I sort of did that back in the early 60s.

I took matches and a fishing pole and a blanket, though.

I used to live off the land on Getter's island on the Delaware river.

I think the longest I stayed was about ten days.

It was easy to do back then.

I also brought water though since that island didn't have anything potable.

I wasn't trying to be a survivalist, (didn't think in those terms, actually) I was just camping in the rough.

I LOVE THOSE SHOWS!

I love that "Man, Woman, and Wild" !

Hubby keeps telling me to get the clipboard, and take notes, so I can start the fire, and cook the conch...

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You mean i have to stay in a room and not a suite? What no wifi? No room service menu? No cabanas at the pool?

However i too love survivor man! I've not been i a situation like that but i think that i would do well if push came to shove. Truthfully i think it would be FUN.

I LOVE THOSE SHOWS!

ammo and guns, when people are starving to death and without clean water, they will come after those who have prepared....famine brings ugliness...just look at Hansel and Gretel, they were dropped off in the woods because their parents could not afford to feed them anymore and needed their food supplies for fewer family members....sure it is a fairy tale, but people were actually doing this, during times of great famine in the past....it gets uglier than ugly....if you have any supplies stored up, you won;t have them for long, without protection....

If something like this does happen, it'll be much worse for those in cities and more populated areas imho..... NOT that I even think something like this will happen, but I always wanted to be a Boy Scout when I was a kid, even though a girl!

Always be prepared!

I almost have my wife ready to go with me.

She's up for most anything in the backpacking world. She's just never gone aborigine.

I LOVE THOSE SHOWS!

ammo and guns, when people are starving to death and without clean water, they will come after those who have prepared....famine brings ugliness...just look at Hansel and Gretel, they were dropped off in the woods because their parents could not afford to feed them anymore and needed their food supplies for fewer family members....sure it is a fairy tale, but people were actually doing this, during times of great famine in the past....it gets uglier than ugly....if you have any supplies stored up, you won;t have them for long, without protection....

If something like this does happen, it'll be much worse for those in cities and more populated areas imho..... NOT that I even think something like this will happen, but I always wanted to be a Boy Scout when I was a kid, even though a girl!

Always be prepared!

I firearm is always good but a kukri never runs out of ammo

[youtube]z7dS8YWqymo&feature[/youtube]

Forum List

Back