Surprise, surprise, DNC in favor of living wage and unions for employees; just not their own

AsianTrumpSupporter

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2017
Democratic People's Republique de Californie
Long Hours, Low Pay Push Some Democratic Campaign Workers To Unionize…

Many political campaign workers spend long hours at low pay, living off of pizza and coffee, all in the hope of seeing their candidate win.

Now, labor organizers are setting their signs bringing those workers into the labor movement at a time when the percentage of U.S. workers who belong to a union is falling steadily.

The newly formed Campaign Workers Guild claims to have helped organize at least a dozen Democratic campaigns and one political consulting firm.

"It's been far too long that workers in this industry have been exploited. And now we're finally standing together to put an end to that," said Ihaab Syed, the union's secretary.

One of those campaigns is Erin Murphy's, a Democrat running for governor in Minnesota, the first gubernatorial campaign in the country to unionize.

Aisha Chughtai a field organizer for Murphy, says the job is demanding and doesn't lend itself to a nine-to-five shift. But ever since signing on with the Campaign Workers Guild, she's minding her schedule a bit more closely.

"Now I get a day off every single week where I am not allowed to be in the office. I'm not supposed to be working. And I don't. It's great."

Chughtai is one of six full-time employees on Murphy's campaign who formed the union last month...

...unionizing campaign workers isn't something that Democrats are universally embracing, despite the party's close ties to organized labor.

"A political campaign is different. It's a cause," said Steve Hildebrand, who spent 26 years managing campaigns, including serving as deputy national campaign manager for Barack Obama's successful presidential bid in 2008.

While Hildebrand says he embraces the goal of assuring workplace dignity and proper compensation, "Political campaigns are short-term gigs. They're not long-term operations, so this idea of unionization for an eight-month job, it just doesn't make a lot of sense."

While Hildebrand is now out of the campaign business and runs a cafe in South Dakota, he's concerned the 2020 presidential campaign will be the next frontier for union organizers.

"Going into the general election if you have a campaign team that is not putting in 80 hours a week on the Democratic side, you're probably going to lose."

While unionizing campaign workers may be a short-term boost for organized labor but long-term, Hildebrand says it could weaken unions further.

"What I would tell labor unions is that if you put pressure on political campaigns to organize and build unions there's a great chance they're going to lose and there's a great chance there is going to be no one there to fight your battles in Congress, in the Senate and at the presidential level."

Still, Chughtai, the staffer on Murphy's campaign, says she hopes the Democrats running for the White House in 2020 invite unionization. "I sure hope this is a litmus test. Right? It should be."...

Maybe the DNC should get its rich, privileged, liberal celebrities and Wall Street CEO's to take a break from raping and molesting women, kids, and men to sell off one of their many mansions and/or yachts to pay their own staff more.

Long Hours, Low Pay Push Some Democratic Campaign Workers To Unionize…

Many political campaign workers spend long hours at low pay, living off of pizza and coffee, all in the hope of seeing their candidate win.

Now, labor organizers are setting their signs bringing those workers into the labor movement at a time when the percentage of U.S. workers who belong to a union is falling steadily.

The newly formed Campaign Workers Guild claims to have helped organize at least a dozen Democratic campaigns and one political consulting firm.

"It's been far too long that workers in this industry have been exploited. And now we're finally standing together to put an end to that," said Ihaab Syed, the union's secretary.

One of those campaigns is Erin Murphy's, a Democrat running for governor in Minnesota, the first gubernatorial campaign in the country to unionize.

Aisha Chughtai a field organizer for Murphy, says the job is demanding and doesn't lend itself to a nine-to-five shift. But ever since signing on with the Campaign Workers Guild, she's minding her schedule a bit more closely.

"Now I get a day off every single week where I am not allowed to be in the office. I'm not supposed to be working. And I don't. It's great."

Chughtai is one of six full-time employees on Murphy's campaign who formed the union last month...

...unionizing campaign workers isn't something that Democrats are universally embracing, despite the party's close ties to organized labor.

"A political campaign is different. It's a cause," said Steve Hildebrand, who spent 26 years managing campaigns, including serving as deputy national campaign manager for Barack Obama's successful presidential bid in 2008.

While Hildebrand says he embraces the goal of assuring workplace dignity and proper compensation, "Political campaigns are short-term gigs. They're not long-term operations, so this idea of unionization for an eight-month job, it just doesn't make a lot of sense."

While Hildebrand is now out of the campaign business and runs a cafe in South Dakota, he's concerned the 2020 presidential campaign will be the next frontier for union organizers.

"Going into the general election if you have a campaign team that is not putting in 80 hours a week on the Democratic side, you're probably going to lose."

While unionizing campaign workers may be a short-term boost for organized labor but long-term, Hildebrand says it could weaken unions further.

"What I would tell labor unions is that if you put pressure on political campaigns to organize and build unions there's a great chance they're going to lose and there's a great chance there is going to be no one there to fight your battles in Congress, in the Senate and at the presidential level."

Still, Chughtai, the staffer on Murphy's campaign, says she hopes the Democrats running for the White House in 2020 invite unionization. "I sure hope this is a litmus test. Right? It should be."...

Maybe the DNC should get its rich, privileged, liberal celebrities and Wall Street CEO's to take a break from raping and molesting women, kids, and men to sell off one of their many mansions and/or yachts to pay their own staff more.
OHHHH.....I surely do hope that they unionize!

he's concerned the 2020 presidential campaign will be the next frontier for union organizers.

Forum List

Back