Supreme Court to hear Wacko Baptist Church Lawsuit

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Court to hear 'thank God for dead soldiers' case - Politics - msnbc.com

For Snyder, the case is not about free speech but harassment.

"I had one chance to bury my son and it was taken from me," Snyder said.

Forty-eight states, 42 U.S. senators and veterans groups have sided with Snyder, asking the court to shield funerals from the Phelpses' "psychological terrorism

Read the comments people left at the end of the article too.

This is gonna be a decision that affects us all. None of us has any more freedom of association and speech that does the WBC...and yet their conduct is just intolerable. I am surprised the SCOTUS took up the case, and most of me sides with Mr. Snyder.

Might just be worth a little of my liberty to shut these hateful, vile people up.

This is gonna be a decision that affects us all. None of us has any more freedom of association and speech that does the WBC...and yet their conduct is just intolerable. I am surprised the SCOTUS took up the case, and most of me sides with Mr. Snyder.

Might just be worth a little of my liberty to shut these hateful, vile people up.

It's not about shutting them up. It's about stopping them harrassing others. The right to free speech should not outweigh the right of others to go about their business in peace. As I've said before, I support the Snyder family in this case. It is not just about them. It is about harrassment, pure and simple.

I agree that this is not a matter of questioning Freedom of Speech but a matter of harassment. These people deliberately flaunt themselves from one end of the country to the other with the purpose of harassing and inflicting pain on people who are grieving. And I would file a harassment complaint in every jurisdiction where these people show up. They can exercise their freedom of speech rights from their home, their "church" steps, at the town square, out on the street or pretty much anywhere - they don't need to specifically target funerals or services for military personnel, gays, or lesbians.

Ask yourselves how YOU would feel and/or what would YOU do if these people showed up at your dead child's funeral and started ranting and waving offensive damning signs/posters.

A family's right to grieve in peace should outweigh a crass and disgusting side show from these people.

Last edited:
It's not about shutting them up. It's about stopping them harrassing others. The right to free speech should not outweigh the right of others to go about their business in peace. As I've said before, I support the Snyder family in this case. It is not just about them. It is about harrassment, pure and simple.

yes. but one could make the same claim about the anti-choice extremists who harass women entering abortion clinics.... not that i'd mind those people having to leave women alone...

as much as i find the WBC intolerable on a personal level and think anyone who does what they do deserves a major arse-kicking... i think i'd err on the side of freedom of speech. it's too easy to extrapolate out to everything else that vexes us.

[
The right to free speech should not outweigh the right of others to go about their business in peace.

Only one of those rights is actual stated in the Constitution. I think we should protect that one.

You may be right about that, but most jurisdictions have laws against harassment and they should be charged with that crime at every turn in the road.

yes. but one could make the same claim about the anti-choice extremists who harass women entering abortion clinics.... not that i'd mind those people having to leave women alone...

as much as i find the WBC intolerable on a personal level and think anyone who does what they do deserves a major arse-kicking... i think i'd err on the side of freedom of speech. it's too easy to extrapolate out to everything else that vexes us.

I absolutely would make the same case about the pro-lifers.... and I'm pro-life. I think what they do to women entering abortion clinics is disgraceful. I too would like them to leave those women alone. Their right to free speech does not include the right to harass anyone.

I absolutely would make the same case about the pro-lifers.... and I'm pro-life. I think what they do to women entering abortion clinics is disgraceful. I too would like them to leave those women alone. Their right to free speech does not include the right to harass anyone.
But you're okay with burning korans to harass muslims?

:lol:

one of these things is not like the other

they aren't pro life. they're pro birth. but that's another convo.

at least you're consistent about it. i'm not sure we have the right to limit those things or should.... much as i agree with you about the harassment.

but what's harassment?

is it harassing to corporate management if strikers protest outside corporate headquarters?

and isn't the point TO harass and annoy so the people you're protesting stop what they're doing or do what you're demanding?

It's not a harassment case though. I've posted my feelings on this case on the other thread - but the facts here are that the Snyders were not actually harassed thanks to restrictions that already exist. I'm hesitant to either expand the tort of Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress or blur the line between protections for public figures and private individuals as a result of wanting to "get" the WBC. I can understand the emotions involved, I'd personally love to see Phelps and his gang of con artists pay and pay dearly. But the fact remains that this specific set of facts isn't the case to do it with.

Burning the koran was not harassment. Having said that, I'd like to see any post of mine high fiving the idiots who wanted to burn it. I am fundamentally against burning books - any books.

well, yes... and no.

they're all free speech... and they're all offensive to others. doesn't mean any of them SHOULD be done.

they aren't pro life. they're pro birth. but that's another convo.

at least you're consistent about it. i'm not sure we have the right to limit those things or should.... much as i agree with you about the harassment.

but what's harassment?

is it harassing to corporate management if strikers protest outside corporate headquarters?

and isn't the point TO harass and annoy so the people you're protesting stop what they're doing or do what you're demanding?

I do try to be consistent - even if sometimes my opinions are not quite conventional. I'm pro life (not pro birth). I am also supportive of other people to choose differently. So, much as I fundamentally am against abortion, I recognize that my view does not outweigh your right to choose.

There is a huge difference between protesting and harassing individuals going about their private business. It's a hard one... and I suspect I'll be both happy and sad whichever way this decision goes. Because I can see that - whatever the outcome - it's gonna be bloody.

well, yes... and no.

they're all free speech... and they're all offensive to others. doesn't mean any of them SHOULD be done.

i see where you are going, but there is a personal aspect to showing up at a funeral and screaming god hates fags etc. that just isn't there in the case of the intellectual giants that burn korans, imo.

i see the funeral protests as being tantamount to screaming fire in a crowded theater in terms of protected speech.

On the contrary...they are both political protests aimed at a segment of our society.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
-Benjamin Franklin.

Forum List

Back