Zone1 Suggestion for new subforum

Could we have a new subforum for “Elderly Issues”? Many of us are in our 50s and 60s, with parents in their 80s and 90s, and dealing with challenges such as assisted living arrangements, dementia and other old-age health concerns, difficult personalities, massive financial expenses at this stage of life, and so forth.
Great idea

Just retitle the site as a Chat Room for the Elderly , aka Dementia in America
End of .

The only thing I could contribute would be my experience with an elderly parent.
My Dad died when I was 16 and my Mom passed about two years ago.
I will say that dealing with a parent that has dementia is extremely difficult.
Not to be gruesome but you sometimes wish the dementia addled parent would die sooner.
They dont know who you are and they dont remember anything about their past. I knew it was over when my Wife stopped by the assisted living facility to drop off some personal items and my Mom didnt know who she was even though we'd been married for 30 years at the time.
And it really sucks seeing the good days getting fewer and further between.

The only thing I could contribute would be my experience with an elderly parent.
My Dad died when I was 16 and my Mom passed about two years ago.
I will say that dealing with a parent that has dementia is extremely difficult.
Not to be gruesome but you sometimes wish the dementia addled parent would die sooner.
They dont know who you are and they dont remember anything about their past. I knew it was over when my Wife stopped by the assisted living facility to drop off some personal items and my Mom didnt know who she was even though we'd been married for 30 years at the time.
And it really sucks seeing the good days getting fewer and further between.
Thank you. We are gearing for difficult times ahead. And I understand what you mean by “dying sooner.” I hope something else gets my Mom before dementia takes its final toll. Sounds awful, but slowly fading away when you had been a person is just horrible.

These kids keep going on my lawn

Pft. I've been saying that since I was 25. I'm anal about my lawn.

I went out there today and picked up two candy wrappers. Two of em...

I don't even wanna think about what kind of salty grump I'm gonna be about it by the time I'm near the age of some of you old-timers.

Last edited:
Good idea! My folks both passed away. I’m 74 now and think there is a need for such a forum, but it shouldn’t be just for dealing with parents … as hard as that is.

I was lucky to have only had to take care of my Dad for his last year. He passed seven years ago at 95. Tough guy till the end, but stubborn as hell. I had to physically restrain him a few times when he started seeing things …

Now my wife is always reminding me how bad MY memory is getting! She says I need to exercise my mind and not waste so much time pounding out comments on my IPad. She’s probably right.

I know some of the old 2d Amendment fanatics here will appreciate this story….

Last time I went to the range to practice, my arthritis was so bad I could hardly pull the trigger on my Smith & Wesson “Airweight” 38! I like the original heavy trigger pull for safety reasons, as it’s always loaded and by my bedside (no kids at home). My eyes aren’t so good either. My wife knows if I ever really start to “lose it” she should get rid of my guns.

A forum where we can whine about how much our hip hurts, or how many pills the doctor has us on now. Sure, I can see that.
No its another attempt, towards bringing in racism and anti-antisemitism towards elderly persons via an additional Forum.
Didn't Soylent Green, in 1973 already handle/fix this elderly issue?

My mom lived for over a decade with dementia..horrible way to go..I cried every day even with her in assisted living
How old was she when she first got it? Was she able to remain in AL to the end, or did she have to eventually go to a nursing home?

How old was she when she first got it? Was she able to remain in AL to the end, or did she have to eventually go to a nursing home?
^^^ These are the type of questions that could be discussed on the forum I suggest.

Are the mods discussing whether it’s a good idea? None of them have weighed in.

I think it is a good idea: aging and health? With description including being caretakers for elderly parents and the challenges? :dunno:

She was 80 when I put her in al..she refused help..she set her house on fire..she would be on the brink of death then bounce back..hospice moved in..that was weird..she had bounced back so often..when they told me she was passing..I was suspect..my nurse friend got mom's stats and told me she was really dying..she dies 3 am feb 4 2020
Just shy of her 90 th birthday..they call it the long good bye for a reason

Forum List

Back