Sugar Bowl predictions.

Winner of Bama/Ark in 2011 will win the SEC, and likely play for all the marbles.

I made that same prediction, except for 2010. It didn't go my way.

I wish I could make that same prediction for 2011, but the SEC West is just too much. Auburn may be out of the picture as a competitor next year, but Mississippi State will be in it. I wouldn't discount LSU either. Arkansas is poised to be a major team next year, starting in the Top 10...Top 5 if Mallett returns. We certainly are returning a LOT of talent otherwise, and with Petrino at the helm, we'll be competitive year after year. It sucks that we lost last night, but we did it to ourselves. I'll never concede that OSU was the better team on the field, even the analysts have said so.

I hope we get a rematch in the BCS Championship next year.

What a pitiful display you are. If I ever went insane and became a fan of the SEC, your comments on this thread would drive me right back to my beloved Alma mater as sober as a judge.

Next game, try breaking the crystal meth into smaller rocks. That way you won't blow a gasket and post embarrassing things like you did here.

Puh-leease do not take his comments as the standard from the SEC. When Bama beat Arkansas he posted to me like I was some flipping dog. He is a poor loser.
How can he be a poor loser when he's had so much experience at it?

How can you be a fucking douche of a winner, when you're so used to it? Oh, that's right, you're not. You finally managed to beat an SEC team, congrats. It's a shame you couldn't beat an SEC team that was playing to their full potential, though. You get the W, but you looked like failures in the process. 3 points in the second half? Sad.

Also, exactly how much does it cost to buy the NCAA? Arkansas is into making major investments in their football program, buying off the NCAA may be worth looking into. Then we can violate rules and not face punishment. Must be nice. :eusa_whistle:

Puh-leease do not take his comments as the standard from the SEC. When Bama beat Arkansas he posted to me like I was some flipping dog. He is a poor loser.

How can you be a fucking douche of a winner, when you're so used to it? Oh, that's right, you're not. You finally managed to beat an SEC team, congrats. It's a shame you couldn't beat an SEC team that was playing to their full potential, though. You get the W, but you looked like failures in the process. 3 points in the second half? Sad.

Also, exactly how much does it cost to buy the NCAA? Arkansas is into making major investments in their football program, buying off the NCAA may be worth looking into. Then we can violate rules and not face punishment. Must be nice. :eusa_whistle:
Do you think that the Ohio State football program is somehow inferior to others? Please, if this is the case, demonstrate that assertion by posting where in the national polls Ohio State has finished each of the past ten years.

I think you'll find winning is part and parcel of the Ohio State legacy.

and those violations? The players bartered their own possessions, not school property, for services legal in all fifty states. If there's egg on any faces, it's on the face of the antiquated and arbitrary NCAA, not the players involved.

Do you think that the Ohio State football program is somehow inferior to others?

In many regards, yes.

Please, if this is the case, demonstrate that assertion by posting where in the national polls Ohio State has finished each of the past ten years.

It's easy to win games when you play powder puff teams.

I think you'll find winning is part and parcel of the Ohio State legacy.

See above.

and those violations? The players bartered their own possessions, not school property, for services legal in all fifty states. If there's egg on any faces, it's on the face of the antiquated and arbitrary NCAA, not the players involved.

Oh cute, now Buckeye fans have excuses as to why it's okay for their players to violate the rules. Those possessions had value because they were paraphernalia of the athletes' achievements in college football. They accepted services in exchange for that value. This violates amateur rules as outlined in the NCAA guidelines. Regardless of who owns the possessions, they cannot benefit economically from their status as a college athlete and remain eligible to compete in the sport. Period.

All-Time Winning Percentage, Championship Game

Record
Percentage
LSU
2-0
Florida
2-0
Alabama
1-0
Tennessee
1-0
Miami (Fla.)
1-1
USC
1-1
Texas
1-1
Florida St.
1-2
Ohio St.
1-2

Oklahoma
1-3
Nebraska
0-1
Virginia Tech
0-1

Most BCS Games

Ohio State

Oklahoma
USC
Florida
Florida State
LSU
Miami (FL)
Michigan
Texas
Virginia Tech
Most BCS Championship Games

Oklahoma
Florida State
Ohio State

Florida
LSU
Miami (FL)
USC
Texas
Alabama
Nebraska
Tennessee
Virginia Tech

Now, either you're a neophyte inexperienced in the history of college football or the records posted above are skewed to show only schools plying "powder puff" teams or Louisiana Monroe, Tennessee Tech and Vanderbilt have been overlooked as the powerhouses they must be.

All-Time Winning Percentage, Championship Game

Record
Percentage
LSU
2-0
Florida
2-0
Alabama
1-0
Tennessee
1-0
Miami (Fla.)
1-1
USC
1-1
Texas
1-1
Florida St.
1-2
Ohio St.
1-2

Oklahoma
1-3
Nebraska
0-1
Virginia Tech
0-1

Most BCS Games

Ohio State

Oklahoma
USC
Florida
Florida State
LSU
Miami (FL)
Michigan
Texas
Virginia Tech
Most BCS Championship Games

Oklahoma
Florida State
Ohio State

Florida
LSU
Miami (FL)
USC
Texas
Alabama
Nebraska
Tennessee
Virginia Tech

Now, either you're a neophyte inexperienced in the history of college football or the records posted above are skewed to show only schools plying "powder puff" teams or Louisiana Monroe, Tennessee Tech and Vanderbilt have been overlooked as the powerhouses they must be.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Your defense of Ohio State is hilarious. I'm the first to admit that, historically, Arkansas has been a subpar team. All of that is changing; we are emerging as a powerhouse team. I'm not delusional about the history of my team, as you seem to be. It's been discussed ad nauseum the level of skill in the SEC versus the other conferences, specifically the Big 12 and the Big 10. The SEC has always been regarded as the best. I'd rather be a mediocre team finishing in the middle of the best conference than a mediocre team who wins the third best conference. At least we know that when all is said and done, we've played the best teams the league has to offer. You don't. Ohio State would never make the BCS 8 times if they were playing in our conference.

Winner of Bama/Ark in 2011 will win the SEC, and likely play for all the marbles.

I made that same prediction, except for 2010. It didn't go my way.

I wish I could make that same prediction for 2011, but the SEC West is just too much. Auburn may be out of the picture as a competitor next year, but Mississippi State will be in it. I wouldn't discount LSU either. Arkansas is poised to be a major team next year, starting in the Top 10...Top 5 if Mallett returns. We certainly are returning a LOT of talent otherwise, and with Petrino at the helm, we'll be competitive year after year. It sucks that we lost last night, but we did it to ourselves. I'll never concede that OSU was the better team on the field, even the analysts have said so.

I hope we get a rematch in the BCS Championship next year.

I do hope you realize that I never said that I thought OSU was the better team on the field, b/c I didn't say that, and do not believe that. I also picked Arkansas to win in our Bowl picks. I have thought all year that Arkansas was one tough team.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jon
Your defense of Ohio State is hilarious. I'm the first to admit that, historically, Arkansas has been a subpar team. All of that is changing; we are emerging as a powerhouse team. I'm not delusional about the history of my team, as you seem to be. It's been discussed ad nauseum the level of skill in the SEC versus the other conferences, specifically the Big 12 and the Big 10. The SEC has always been regarded as the best. I'd rather be a mediocre team finishing in the middle of the best conference than a mediocre team who wins the third best conference. At least we know that when all is said and done, we've played the best teams the league has to offer. You don't. Ohio State would never make the BCS 8 times if they were playing in our conference.

The SEC West sent a 3-loss USC to the SECCG. LSU and Bama were clearly the best teams in the West, but the SEC is not an easy conference for any team to play in. To say that Arkansas is "emerging as a powerhouse" is a bit overconfident, IMO. They have played better as of the past 2-3 years, and Nutt did a great job of elevating the program from where it had been, but Arkansas ranks just above MSU and well below Bama in the SEC West in terms of "powerhouse" teams.

I do not think Petrino is the answer. He will do well, but you will run him off in about 5 years when Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Bama and Florida continue to pull the better talent to the true "powerhouse" teams. Until Arkansas steps up to the plate and hires a top-tier coach, and spends millions and millions on their facilities, they will be mired where they are....a spoiler, and a hurdle for the teams that will usually make it to Atlanta.

All that said, Petrino has the team moving in the right direction, as did Nutt, but they aren't there yet, and I don't think they are going to "get there" under Bobby.

Bama is going to win the SEC next year (unless LSU can keep its luck rolling). They are stacked for several years to come, and then Tennessee is rebuilding quickly. They will again be a force in 2-3 years.

Ark is Ark. They will play every game like its their last, and beat the hell out of you before you usually walk away with the win. You have to beat them to win the SEC, just like MSU and USC. But they've never been a consistent favorite to win their Division, and that isn't going to change anytime soon. That's just the way it is. They are getting better, but they aren't there yet.

And to try and compare Arkansas' tradition and history with Ohio State's is laughable. As an SEC fan, I recognize the merits of both, and Arkansas cannot hold a candle to the success and tradition of Ohio State. OSU is and forever will be mentioned among the giants of college football. Arkansas may get there one day, but it won't be in our lifetimes. With all the success Florida has had over the past 20 years, even they still are not always mentioned among the Michigans, Ohio States, Alabamas, Penn States, Oklahomas, USCs and Notre Dames of the world (think about that.....as bad as Notre Dame has been over the past 20 years, they're still one of the most successful teams in history).

Truth is, in my mind, both teams played sloppy in the Sugar Bowl, but the better team still did win.

Ohio State is one of the best programs in the country, and in the history of college football. Other than Woody Hayes' temporary insanity (and I think Woody was one of the greatest coaches ever, who would be remembered as such if not for a momentary rush of emotion that got the better of him) I cannot think of a blemish on OSU that is of any consequence. Their contribution to college football has been honor, tradition, and respect. Class program that has had great success. Losing to OSU is nothing to be ashamed of. Most do, and most will.

College football didn't start in the 80s or 90s. Its going to take a LONG time for Arkansas to rise to the level of Ohio State in the annals of the sport. They will have their years, but this wasn't one of them. They will have to play better, win more, and do it consistently for 20-30 years to reach the level Ohio State is sitting at today.

Petrino is a building block, but he isn't the answer.

Mallet sure wasn't helped by his receivers too much on key downs. :doubt:

First, anyone who thinks that the SEC isn't the premier football conference in this country is smoking crack, and I am a Big 12 fan.

Secondly, I was rooting for Arkansas, but Ohio State played flawlessly and Arkansas made way too many mistakes. That second quarter was embarrassing and I counted at least six dropped passed by Arkansas receivers. Two of them were crucial. If you make those kinds of mistakes against Ohio State, you are going to lose.

I hate Ohio State, but they beat Arkansas fair and square.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
(think about that.....as bad as Notre Dame has been over the past 20 years, they're still one of the most successful teams in history).

And there is a certain poster here who never fails to remind the forum of this. :lol:

• Thanks
Reactions: Jon
The SEC West sent a 3-loss USC to the SECCG. LSU and Bama were clearly the best teams in the West

Are you kidding me? Do you even watch football? LSU has one of the worst offenses in college football right now. Bama's offense was mediocre.

To say that Arkansas is "emerging as a powerhouse" is a bit overconfident, IMO. They have played better as of the past 2-3 years

"Better?" That's an understatement.

and Nutt did a great job of elevating the program from where it had been

:doubt: Do you watch football at all? Nutt was, and continues to be, one of the biggest disappointments in college football history. How we was able to convince Broyles to let him stay for 10 years still amazes me. He did not elevate this program from anything. Because of him, we WERE still on the same page as the Mississippi States and Ole Misses of the world. Now, we're given a bit more consideration, and will be given more and more in the years to come.

but Arkansas ranks just above MSU and well below Bama in the SEC West in terms of "powerhouse" teams.

That's a loaded statement, considering MSU is a good team as of late, and the SEC West is the best division in any conference in college football.

I do not think Petrino is the answer. He will do well, but you will run him off in about 5 years when Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, Bama and Florida continue to pull the better talent to the true "powerhouse" teams.

How is Auburn a true "powerhouse" team more than Arkansas? Your statement makes no sense. Furthermore, Petrino isn't going anywhere anytime soon: his contract proves that. He's invested here.

Until Arkansas steps up to the plate and hires a top-tier coach

Petrino is a top-tier coach. The fact that schools like Florida were trying to hire him before and after he came here proves that.

and spends millions and millions on their facilities

1. Arkansas spends more per undergraduate student on their football program than any other SEC school, and is #10 in the country overall in dollars spent. Do your research.

2. We just unveiled plans for a new 80,000 sq. ft, state-of-the-art football facility, priced between $24 and $35 million. That the kind of facilities you're talking about?

3. The above mentioned facility is built at the request of Bobby Petrino, and it's more proof that he has no intentions of leaving anytime soon.

they will be mired where they are....a spoiler, and a hurdle for the teams that will usually make it to Atlanta.

We'll see. Your post has proven how little you know about our program, our coach, and where we are headed. I'll trust my gut over your delusions.

All that said, Petrino has the team moving in the right direction, as did Nutt, but they aren't there yet, and I don't think they are going to "get there" under Bobby.

The fact that you continue to recognize Nutt as moving this team anywhere proves how little you follow our program. Houston Nutt did not advance this program in any way, shape, or form. Even in his best years, he won with other coaches' recruits or with players who played well in spite of Nutt's lack of direction. If you don't think Bobby Petrino will take Arkansas to the next level, you've lost your marbles.

Bama is going to win the SEC next year (unless LSU can keep its luck rolling). They are stacked for several years to come, and then Tennessee is rebuilding quickly. They will again be a force in 2-3 years.

Based on what? Bama is losing their starting quarterback and their best running back along with a myriad of key players. Arkansas is returning almost its entire starting lineup, possibly even Mallett. Even if not, Wilson is more than capable of delivering at the quarterback position. The SEC West, again, will be a toss-up. You'll see Arkansas, Alabama, LSU, Mississippi State, and maybe even Auburn competing for the title. The only team without a shred of hope is Ole Miss, because they have a laughing stock as a head coach.

Ark is Ark. They will play every game like its their last, and beat the hell out of you before you usually walk away with the win. You have to beat them to win the SEC, just like MSU and USC. But they've never been a consistent favorite to win their Division, and that isn't going to change anytime soon.

We shall see. The pundits say otherwise, and they seem to follow the sport a little more closely than you.

And to try and compare Arkansas' tradition and history with Ohio State's is laughable.

Now you're not only delusional, but also illiterate. Read my post again, then come back.

As an SEC fan, I recognize the merits of both, and Arkansas cannot hold a candle to the success and tradition of Ohio State. OSU is and forever will be mentioned among the giants of college football. Arkansas may get there one day, but it won't be in our lifetimes. With all the success Florida has had over the past 20 years, even they still are not always mentioned among the Michigans, Ohio States, Alabamas, Penn States, Oklahomas, USCs and Notre Dames of the world (think about that.....as bad as Notre Dame has been over the past 20 years, they're still one of the most successful teams in history).

That's the point. You and everyone else talk about the "tradition" of college football, the past, history. I'm talking about the present, the current condition of the sport, what's relevant now. I was the first to point out that Arkansas's history in the sport isn't as decorated as Ohio State's, but it's future certainly will be.

Truth is, in my mind, both teams played sloppy in the Sugar Bowl, but the better team still did win.

That makes you and Kirk Herbstreit on the same page, along with other delusional Ohio State fans. The rest of the followers of the sport say otherwise.

Ohio State is one of the best programs in the country, and in the history of college football.

In history? Sure.

Currently? Sure, but only if we're comparing to all the programs out there is Ohio State a top tier program. When compared to all of the SEC, they'd fall somewhere in the middle.

Other than Woody Hayes' temporary insanity (and I think Woody was one of the greatest coaches ever, who would be remembered as such if not for a momentary rush of emotion that got the better of him) I cannot think of a blemish on OSU that is of any consequence.

1-9 against the SEC in the post season comes to mind.

Their contribution to college football has been honor, tradition, and respect.

:lol:

Sure, if it's "respectful" to spit on the rulebooks and pay the NCAA to forgo punishment for your players' malfeasances.

Class program that has had great success. Losing to OSU is nothing to be ashamed of. Most do, and most will.

No one here is ashamed of losing to Ohio State. We're ashamed that we did not play the way we have the rest of the season. It was one of our worst performances, by far.

College football didn't start in the 80s or 90s. Its going to take a LONG time for Arkansas to rise to the level of Ohio State in the annals of the sport. They will have their years, but this wasn't one of them. They will have to play better, win more, and do it consistently for 20-30 years to reach the level Ohio State is sitting at today.

Again, we can preach the history of the sport all we want. The fact remains that Ohio State wins games year after year against mediocre teams. I'd love for them to come play our schedule for just one year, just as proof of how weak their team actually is.

Petrino is a building block, but he isn't the answer.

Again, I'm not sure where this is coming from. Petrino is a premier commodity in college football right now. He's proven he can recruit the best players, build the best offense, and put together winning teams. If he can do it at Louisville, he certainly can do it at Arkansas. His first two years were plagued with weeding out the piss-poor players Nutt had left the team with. You've only just begun to see what Bobby Petrino is capable of. He will win us a national championship in his time at Arkansas. Maybe not next year (but I'm not ruling it out), but definitely in the next 5 years.

All that said, your problem is this: you know nothing about Arkansas or its football program. You look down on the program because it's easier to ignore it than to actually acknowledge it. When you've read up on the current state of our program and the time, money, and energy being exhausted to better it, come back with some better discussion points. Because right now, all you have done is spout mindless dribble that makes little sense and has no merit.

Last edited:
Mallet sure wasn't helped by his receivers too much on key downs. :doubt:

Yeah. Mallett played a great game, given the circumstances. Very few of the missed passes were his fault at all. It wasn't just the receivers that weren't playing well, the offensive line wasn't exactly on par either.

Jon, I like you. I really, really do. But, I am honestly getting tired of your whining.
You don't know all...and it might do you good to listen to some of the um..older, more experienced people posting in this thread. Ones that were watching college football years before you were even born.
Mini does know what he is talking about.

None of us like to lose. But that is part of the game. Being a sport is knowing how to lose with class. Seriously. Everything is not about Arkansas. And if I did nothing but go on and on and on about Bama, everyone would be sick of it too.

So...changing topics....our wager still on?

Jon, I like you. I really, really do. But, I am honestly getting tired of your whining.

I'm honestly getting sick of people having no clue what they are talking about when they attack our football program. So, until they educate themselves, I'll be forced to do it for them.

You don't know all...and it might do you good to listen to some of the um..older, more experienced people posting in this thread. Ones that were watching college football years before you were even born.

Age means nothing when you have done zero research into the subject you are discussing.

Mini does know what he is talking about.

Clearly he does not. He gave Houston Nutt credit for something. That, in and of itself, is a sign of ignorance.

None of us like to lose. But that is part of the game. Being a sport is knowing how to lose with class. Seriously. Everything is not about Arkansas. And if I did nothing but go on and on and on about Bama, everyone would be sick of it too.

This thread is about the Sugar Bowl. Why would discussing one of the teams playing in the game be a problem? Don't want to discuss Arkansas? Go to another thread.

Of course.

I'm honestly getting sick of people having no clue what they are talking about when they attack our football program. So, until they educate themselves, I'll be forced to do it for them.

Age means nothing when you have done zero research into the subject you are discussing.

Clearly he does not. He gave Houston Nutt credit for something. That, in and of itself, is a sign of ignorance.

This thread is about the Sugar Bowl. Why would discussing one of the teams playing in the game be a problem? Don't want to discuss Arkansas? Go to another thread.

Of course.

I have patiently watched you ALL SEASON LONG go on ad nauseum about Arkansas. Thread after thread.
Bringing them into other threads. So don't go telling me. ;)

Oh am not going to bother to address each sentence you posted just now...just will say, I pretty much think you are wrong on all you said.

I have patiently watched you ALL SEASON LONG go on ad nauseum about Arkansas. Thread after thread.

If you say so. I just did a search, and there are plenty of college football threads I didn't even post in, much less mention Arkansas. I've started a handful of threads about the SEC and/or Arkansas games, and so it would make sense for me to discuss Arkansas there. Maybe you just stalk my posts and see that I discuss Arkansas a lot. :)

Oh am not going to bother to address each sentence you posted just now...just will say, I pretty much think you are wrong on all you said.

That's cool. I stand by it. I don't care if someone is 100 years old, if they don't know what they are talking about, they just don't. Their age won't change that fact.

If you say so. I just did a search, and there are plenty of college football threads I didn't even post in, much less mention Arkansas. I've started a handful of threads about the SEC and/or Arkansas games, and so it would make sense for me to discuss Arkansas there. Maybe you just stalk my posts and see that I discuss Arkansas a lot. :)

That's cool. I stand by it. I don't care if someone is 100 years old, if they don't know what they are talking about, they just don't. Their age won't change that fact.

:lol::lol::lol:

I didn't say every thread. Don't be so serious!

Get ready for your OSU avatar..:razz:

:lol::lol::lol:

I didn't say every thread. Don't be so serious!

Get ready for your OSU avatar..:razz:

:doubt:

Forum List

Back