Subsistence vs Sport Hunting

Man is as much a natural hunter as a wolf or bear. That's why he's at the top of the food chain. There is no moral difference between subsistence and sport hunting. Or in paying someone else to do your killing for you like most people do most of the time.
The person who killed your hamburger didn't eat what he killed; does that make him a bad person? Do you know anyone who actually eats what they catch in mouse traps or what they kill with bug spray?
Predators? You can't have your cake if something already ate it. An animal is not going to pay a farmer or rancher for what it eats nor are they going to pay attention to game or "endangered species" laws.
Specious.
We are talking about sport hunting and not eating the kill. That is not the same as food production, where the purpose is to eat the kill.

Predator control is a part of food production where the predator is rarely eaten.
If you mean predator as varmint, OK.

"We are talking about sport hunting and not eating the kill. That is not the same as food production, where the purpose is to eat the kill.
"

And my point is that animals are killed for valid reasons other than meat and for some that may include trophies.

Yes, to the first, and the second is blood lust, nothing more.

"Take a picture, not a trophy. This is how real men shoot animals..."

1558560_233799490077745_732379464_n.jpg
I support hunting.
Onoly for two reasons..
1. for harvesting edible meats..
2. to cull herds for the purpose of wildlife management and safety of humans.
This trophy hunting thing. I object and do not support.

you can have both substance and sport at the same time
Yes...One can shoot a deer, elk, caribou, etc...have the animal dressed for consumption. Take the head for taxidermy..
Oh, in Alaska, taking a trophy is illegal.
For example. If a hunter takes a bull moose, State regulations mandate that the hunter MUST break the skull plate of the animal. This is done to prevent trophy hunting and to discourage the taking of only the largest( and most dominant and likely to produce young) and virile bulls

Yes, to the first, and the second is blood lust, nothing more.

"Take a picture, not a trophy. This is how real men shoot animals..."

1558560_233799490077745_732379464_n.jpg
I support hunting.
Onoly for two reasons..
Yes. Trophy hunting is not appropriate.

I cherish my gun and hunting rights. I eat what I kill. If I didn't love deer and elk meat - I wouldn't hunt them. I hate unethical slob poachers and trophy hunters.

I support hunting.
Onoly for two reasons..

Where do you stand on hunting for fur or protection of property? How about multipurpose hunting?
Are you aware that the vast majority of "trophy" hunters also assure that the meat goes to people who need it which may be required by law or regulation?

Yes...One can shoot a deer, elk, caribou, etc...have the animal dressed for consumption. Take the head for taxidermy..
For example. If a hunter takes a bull moose, State regulations mandate that the hunter MUST break the skull plate of the animal. This is done to prevent trophy hunting and to discourage the taking of only the largest( and most dominant and likely to produce young) and virile bulls

yup

I cherish my gun and hunting rights. I eat what I kill. If I didn't love deer and elk meat - I wouldn't hunt them. I hate unethical slob poachers and trophy hunters.

your gun is your right

hunting is a privilege

do you eat that pesky skunk when it burrows a home under your house

yum yum

You're full of shit. The antler break rule in Alaska applies not only to just one specific region (the Copper River Basin,) but it applies /only/ to proxy hunts - where someone is making the kill for an Alaskan who is legally blind, disabled, or over 65 years old. No doubt you heard that on Alaska State Troopers lol

Alaska is huge on trophy hunting, in fact we have laws against preventing such hunts, Hunter Harassment Law: It is against state law AS16.05.790 to intentionally obstruct or hinder another person's lawful hunting, fishing, trapping, or viewing of fish and game. Illegal activities include positioning one’s self in a location where human presence may alter the behavior of fish or game another person is pursuing. It is also illegal to create a sight, sound, smell, or physical stimulus to alter the behavior of fish and game another person is attempting to take. The law does not prohibit lawful competitive practices among hunters, fishermen, or trappers. Violators of this statute are subject to a fine of up to $500 and/or up to 30 days in jail.

The only restriction on "trophies" I can even think of are like endangered whale baleen can only be sold by Alaskan natives and it must be decorated (and because of national laws you cannot fly out of the state with it on heh) And I believe there's something about taking polar bears because they're endangered. Also fishing Salmon you can't snag them and I believe you have to throw the females back - though I can't remember exactly.

Everything is bag limits, hunting/fishing seasons, lottery, and some variation between like antler points/rack width, or like bear height, male female, etc. in x specific region depending on the year in question. Our Fish and Wildlife folks do an assessment of the prey population, take out the subsistence needs of the specific region (down to the river for salmons), then determine all that stuff on a year by year basis. We have general seasons, special permits that can occur anytime (except obviously bear and fish in the winter heh) hell we've even had lottery hunts into the national state preserves for management purposes.

It completely depends on the region and how that population is doing, some years there will be zero hunting in a region, other years there will be no bag limits at all. All depends.

We had a wolf trapping season some years ago cause the local pack was stealing puntable dogs off their chains in the neighborhood. The wolves attacked some lady pretty much in my back yard, beheaded her golden from his leash and collar while she beat them with sticks. They were famished and their leader had lost it so the state authorized emergency trapping to get the alpha male and female out of the pack. They ate our neighborhood fox :(

Last edited:
Last edited:
STATE CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO HUNT AND FISH
Douglas Shinkle3/26/2015

CONTACT
  • Douglas Shinkle
fishhunt.jpg
Eighteen states guarantee the right to hunt and fish in their constitutions, with 17 of those approved via the voters. While Vermont's language dates back to 1777, the rest of these constitutional provisions—in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming—have passed since 1996. California and Rhode Island have language in their respective constitutions guaranteeing the right to fish, but not to hunt. Advocates also consider Alaska’s constitutional language—“Wherever occurring in their natural state, fish, wildlife, and waters are reserved to the people for common use”—as meeting the test because of its strong case law history.

ADOPTED: March 30, 2010

BE IT RESOLVED BY THE SENATE OF THE ONE HUNDRED SIXTH GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE, THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES CONCURRING, that a two-thirds majority of all the members elected to each house concurring, as shown by the yeas and nays entered on their journals, that it is proposed that Article XI, Section 13 of the Constitution of the State of Tennessee be amended by adding the following sentences at the end of the section: The citizens of this state shall have the personal right to hunt and fish, subject to reasonable regulations and restrictions prescribed by law. The recognition of this right does not abrogate any private or public property rights, nor does it limit the state's power to regulate commercial activity. Traditional manners and means may be used to take non-threatened species. BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that in accordance with Article XI, Section 3 of the Constitution of the State of Tennessee the foregoing proposed amendment shall be submitted to the people at the next general election in which a governor is to be chosen, the same being the 2010 November general election, and the secretary of state is directed to place such proposed amendment on the ballot for that election.

your gun is your right

hunting is a privilege

yum yum

Hunting is also my right if I follow the law. I understand the semantics.

Is Hunting a Right or a Privilege?

hunting is a privilege

your gun is your right

hunting is a privilege

yum yum

hunting is a privilege

If the state constitutions guarantee the right of its citizens to hunt or fish, it is not a privilege. It is a right.

your gun is your right

hunting is a privilege

yum yum

hunting is a privilege

If the state constitutions guarantee the right of its citizens to hunt or fish, it is not a privilege. It is a right.

That's how I look at it. Also, certain other rights enshrined in U.S. and state constitutions can also be denied/revoked.

your gun is your right

hunting is a privilege

yum yum

hunting is a privilege

if you have to have permission from the state by having to buy a license to hunt

then it is a privilege not a right

Forum List

Back