Study shows unprecedented warmth in Arctic

If denialists can't grasp that yearly variability and the long-term trend are different things, there's no point in trying to reason with them.
Then you should not gloat every time there is a heat wave confined to a specific area and lasts only for a short time.
But warmers always do.
Since the argument is "man made global warming" then you should examine trends on a global scale and not confine it to a specific area.
So let`s do that for sea ice:
emid.jpg

ppm CO2 for the same time period:

ewos.jpg

Trends vary, they don`t stay at a linear constant like the "10% less ice per decade" the AGW zealots blame on us.
The margin of error what qualifies as "ice" + how tidal & wind variations have on ice cover extent amounts to more than 10% and strong winds can affect a huge area of sea ice within just a few hours..and set a new "record low ice extent".
On the flip side when there was a lot more ice at the end this years melt season ...due to an entire cold arctic summer season when you alarmists sensationalized one single "record" warm day on Greenland`s south end.

No matter how you hype it by inflating the magnitude or by using a single data reference point that best suits the narrative as a starting point or "zero anomaly" there is no way to attribute either trends in the ice cover to ppm CO2.

No matter how you huff and puff that balloon won`t fly !

Last edited:
If denialists can't grasp that yearly variability and the long-term trend are different things, there's no point in trying to reason with them.

Yes, you nimrods were telling us that THERE WOULD BE NO ICE IN THE ARCTIC THIS SUMMER!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsioIw4bvzI]Al Gore Warns Polar Ice May Be Gone in Five Years - YouTube[/ame]

OOOOOOOPS!

There was no hurrcaine Sandy. By the time Sandy made landfall winds had already dropped to tropical storm levels. We might call Sandy a hurricaine but it wasn't.

The ICE IS MELTING... the ICE IS MELTING... pfft... really... so what...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb-k77fkFFA]Expansion of the Sun - YouTube[/ame]

A history of September extents

Figure3_Sept2013_trend.png

Dear PolarBear,

Look at the graph.

The ice has increased this year - from the Summer levels of the last five or six years. But by that rationale, it similarly increased in 1986, 1992, 1996, 2001, 2006 and 2009. If you're looking for a change in the long term trend, you have a great long ways to go yet. There is nothing dramatic or significant in this year's ice extents.

There was no hurrcaine Sandy. By the time Sandy made landfall winds had already dropped to tropical storm levels. We might call Sandy a hurricaine but it wasn't.

The storm surge, that caused the vast majority of the damage Sandy incurred, was generated by her as a hurricane.

You left the door open. No telling what could wander in here. The place is a zoo.

Any of you folks ever think about how childish nicks are? Maybe I should call myself "Rabid Dog" or "Stomping Elephant" or "Psycho Murderer" or "IRS Auditor" or "diputsuoyeraskooksdog".

Or perhaps I'll just stick with my own name and not try to send subliminal messages or pretend I'm a big mean animal or an astronaut or just someone I'm not.

I bet if I made a list of the nicks in this place, showed them to the general public and asked for age estimates, the average guess would be less than 14.

Just Abraham. "I'm in the book"!

You left the door open. No telling what could wander in here. The place is a zoo.

Any of you folks ever think about how childish nicks are? Maybe I should call myself "Rabid Dog" or "Stomping Elephant" or "Psycho Murderer" or "IRS Auditor" or "diputsuoyeraskooksdog".

Or perhaps I'll just stick with my own name and not try to send subliminal messages or pretend I'm a big mean animal or an astronaut or just someone I'm not.

I bet if I made a list of the nicks in this place, showed them to the general public and asked for age estimates, the average guess would be less than 14.

Just Abraham. "I'm in the book"!
Are you EVER going to do anything to merit that level of arrogance?

NOTE: "Being a liberal" is not an achievement worthy of note.

Sorry I gutted your CV. Oh, well.

Of course, skook also thinks Hurricane Sandy was caused by government vortex weapons. As do many denialists. After all, if someone is stupid and brainwashed enough to embrace the 'tard conspiracy theory of denialism, then they'll be crazy enough to fall for every other 'tard conspiracy theory out there.

And you think that Sandy was some super duper hurricane, which it wasn't. Non-sequiter much?:lol::lol:

Sucks to be so wrong so frequently huh! I almost feel sorry for you.....almost!

Sucks to be as totally stupid as ol' Walleyes. Yes, Sandy was one hell of a storm.

•At its height of intensity, just over Cuba, Hurricane Sandy clocked in as a category 3 storm. It had lost strength by the time it hit the East Coast of the U.S.
•Sandy was so large that tropical storm force winds extended over an area more than 1,000 miles in diameter.
•The superstorm forced coastal water surges from Florida to Maine -- with parts of New York City seeing the worst flooding. Recorded water level values there exceeded 9 feet above the Mean Higher High Water line.
•More than 12 inches of rainfall led to subsequent flooding in rivers, streams and creeks throughout portions of the Mid-Atlantic.
•Sandy’s peak winds increased to near 100 miles per hour over the Gulf Stream, approximately 220 nautical miles south of Atlantic City, N.J.
•In the U.S., Sandy took 117 lives from October 28 through November 30, 2012. In total, 286 people from various countries are said to have perished as a result of the storm.
•Damage estimates from Sandy range from $50 billion to $68 billion.
•In New York City, loss estimates exceed $19 billion -- with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority sustaining roughly $5 billion in damages to the city's infrastructure and lost revenue.
•Twenty-four states were impacted by the superstorm.
•Counties in eight states (Conn., Md., N.C., N.J., N.Y., R.I., Va., and W.Va.) and Puerto Rico were declared disaster areas.
•Weather Forecast Office, River Forecast Centers and the National Centers for Environmental Prediction accrued 27,633 new Facebook likes during the event.
•In January, Congress approved more than $60 billion in aid for Sandy victims.
•Insurers have approved roughly $8 billion in National Flood Insurance Program payments to policyholders. The average check insurers cut was just south of $55,000.
•The Small Business Administration received 14,903 business disaster loan applications. So far, the SBA has approved 4,111 for $485 million business disaster loan applications.
•With help from the NYC New Business Acceleration Team businesses shuttered due to Sandy reopened in 138 days, on average. Without this assistance, businesses opened in 216 days on average.

Read more: Hurricane Sandy and Its Aftermath: By the Numbers | Entrepreneur.com

The storm surge, that caused the vast majority of the damage Sandy incurred, was generated by her as a hurricane.

Battery Park got 9 feet of "storm surge" ON TOP OF a 5 foot maximum tide.
It was the timing and POSITION of the landfall that devasted the city.. NYC being at the MAXIMUM storm surge at the NE edge of the landfall.

A lot of "chance" effects added up to make a extratropical depression into a wrecking crew.
INCLUDING no real defense for coastal infrastructure like power gen and subways.

R You contending this was because of 0.5deg warming in your lifetime?

And GoldiRocks.. 100mph PEAK winds, 200 miles out from the coast over the Gulf Stream are TOTALLY irrelevent.
In Florida --- we would party thru a storm like that..

Last edited:
Of course, skook also thinks Hurricane Sandy was caused by government vortex weapons. As do many denialists. After all, if someone is stupid and brainwashed enough to embrace the 'tard conspiracy theory of denialism, then they'll be crazy enough to fall for every other 'tard conspiracy theory out there.

And you think that Sandy was some super duper hurricane, which it wasn't. Non-sequiter much?:lol::lol:

Sucks to be so wrong so frequently huh! I almost feel sorry for you.....almost!

Sucks to be as totally stupid as ol' Walleyes. Yes, Sandy was one hell of a storm.

•At its height of intensity, just over Cuba, Hurricane Sandy clocked in as a category 3 storm. It had lost strength by the time it hit the East Coast of the U.S.
•Sandy was so large that tropical storm force winds extended over an area more than 1,000 miles in diameter.
•The superstorm forced coastal water surges from Florida to Maine -- with parts of New York City seeing the worst flooding. Recorded water level values there exceeded 9 feet above the Mean Higher High Water line.
•More than 12 inches of rainfall led to subsequent flooding in rivers, streams and creeks throughout portions of the Mid-Atlantic.
•Sandy’s peak winds increased to near 100 miles per hour over the Gulf Stream, approximately 220 nautical miles south of Atlantic City, N.J.
•In the U.S., Sandy took 117 lives from October 28 through November 30, 2012. In total, 286 people from various countries are said to have perished as a result of the storm.
•Damage estimates from Sandy range from $50 billion to $68 billion.
•In New York City, loss estimates exceed $19 billion -- with the Metropolitan Transportation Authority sustaining roughly $5 billion in damages to the city's infrastructure and lost revenue.
•Twenty-four states were impacted by the superstorm.
•Counties in eight states (Conn., Md., N.C., N.J., N.Y., R.I., Va., and W.Va.) and Puerto Rico were declared disaster areas.
•Weather Forecast Office, River Forecast Centers and the National Centers for Environmental Prediction accrued 27,633 new Facebook likes during the event.
•In January, Congress approved more than $60 billion in aid for Sandy victims.
•Insurers have approved roughly $8 billion in National Flood Insurance Program payments to policyholders. The average check insurers cut was just south of $55,000.
•The Small Business Administration received 14,903 business disaster loan applications. So far, the SBA has approved 4,111 for $485 million business disaster loan applications.
•With help from the NYC New Business Acceleration Team businesses shuttered due to Sandy reopened in 138 days, on average. Without this assistance, businesses opened in 216 days on average.

Read more: Hurricane Sandy and Its Aftermath: By the Numbers | Entrepreneur.com

Yes it caused a lot of damage because of all the buildings that were destroyed or damaged. No doubt about that. However as a storm it wasn't all that much. It was no longer a hurricane by the time it made landfall and was only as powerful as it was because it combined with another storm.

Compared to the "Atmospheric River" that occurred in California in 1862 where at least 120 inches of rain fell in a month it is quite literally not a lot. You clowns make all these claims and yet for every "Super Storm Sandy" you wish to trot out, I can quite easily demolish it with a bigger, more powerful storm from the past.

In other words none of your claims hold water.

A history of September extents

Figure3_Sept2013_trend.png

Dear PolarBear,

Look at the graph.

The ice has increased this year - from the Summer levels of the last five or six years. But by that rationale, it similarly increased in 1986, 1992, 1996, 2001, 2006 and 2009. If you're looking for a change in the long term trend, you have a great long ways to go yet. There is nothing dramatic or significant in this year's ice extents.

Still waiting for Mr Bear.

But the surged hadn't reduced in intensity at landfall. It is well known that when a hurricane loses wind speed, there is a lag in the time before we see a similar drop in the surge due to inertia. And neither had the land surface area affected by the storm, which was massive by all accounts at and after landfall. The fact of the carnage that ensued is simply a matter of history.

Last edited:

But the surged hadn't reduced in intensity at landfall. It is well known that when a hurricane loses wind speed, there is a lag in the time before we see a similar drop in the surge due to inertia. And neither had the land surface area affected by the storm, which was massive by all accounts at and after landfall. The fact of the carnage that ensued is simply a matter of history.

That's why the exceptional SPEED of the storm's forward progress combined with the location of NYCity wrt landfall and the maximized state of the tides and the combining with a wicked terrestrial storm are the reasons for magnifying the effects of Sandy.. None of that has anything to do with a 0.5degC rise in sea surface temp.

Forum List

Back