Student suspended, criminally charged for fishing knife left in father’s car

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
One more example of how our public schools are failing our children and why zero tolerance policies need to be chucked into the dust bin of history. We have yet another seemingly innocent kid with a bright future possibly getting it ripped away from him and having his life ruined because of stupidity of ignorance of the authorities.

Another thing that disturbed me is why this school has "random lockdown" searches which should clearly violate the Fourth Amendment of the Constitution.

Student suspended charged for fishing knife in father's car | The Daily Caller

Another disgraceful abuse of the right for a citizen to arm themselves. I always have a fishing knife in my car. seriously, when does this stop?

Does my belt count as a weapon? My watch?

What was the "reasonable" justification of the search of the student's father's car?

I think that the random car searches on property are like every third car or whatever their system is and falls under school safety. But, I can't tell what their system is because I can't see the student handbook. Edited: Kids don't have the same full set of rights that adults do.
Landmark Supreme Court Cases About Teens

If I try to go through the Fort Meade front gate and the guards found a knife, it would be confiscated and I could go through the gate.

Why would anyone need to be arrested for that? I don't get it. Is my tire-iron considered a weapon? It's certainly just as lethal.

I think that the random car searches on property are like every third car or whatever their system is and falls under school safety. But, I can't tell what their system is because I can't see the student handbook. Edited: Kids don't have the same full set of rights that adults do.
Landmark Supreme Court Cases About Teens

If I try to go through the Fort Meade front gate and the guards found a knife, it would be confiscated and I could go through the gate.

Why would anyone need to be arrested for that? I don't get it. Is my tire-iron considered a weapon? It's certainly just as lethal.

A lot of it boils down to the district. One of the issues with zero tolerance policies is that (sometimes) the policy is set by the school board and the power to intervene is removed from the principal. No discretion. I have no idea if that is the deal here. But, knives and guns on school property? Yep. Looks that way.
39-17-1309. Carrying weapons on school property.

It's repeated so often the real meaning might be lost;

”Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.” B. Franklin

This case may be a perfect example of trading one for the other.

Forum List

Back