Strike for $15.00 an hour, Sub shop fires everybody

At the heart of any successful business is the matter of mutual respect. Once respect is lost, as in any relationship, it's pretty much over.
The employees and the employer did not respect each other. Having your employees stand in front of your business 'picketing' it for four days does not engender 'respect'. I know what the employer was saying inside his business and so do you all: "FUCK YOU ASS HOLES! WATCH WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR JOBS NOW!!"
That is why it's so critical for an employer to hire some one they sense they can respect and have that feeling reciprocated by the employee. Without it there is no sense of loyalty on either side.
Hiring a simian who looks like they just 'loaded' their pants who obviously doesn't respect themselves is suicide for any business. That is one of the reasons there exists the endemic high unemployment rates in every inner city.
Who wants to open a business in an inner city when the potential local labor force is literally incapable of sentient thought/functionally illiterate/ suffering from HPD and more interested in what they can carry away from the business than what they can offer the business to help make it viable?
That's the 'elephant in the room' that no one will admit exists.

Owner won in that he got rid of workers who did not trust him to treat them fairly.

The workers won because they know the owner's values in full.

The shoppers won because they can now reward other vendors in the area.

Meh, if I lived in Chicago, I'd purposely go there and buy a sandwich. Just like I did for Chic-fil-A here in Orlando. I'm probably not alone.

If I owned a small business I would automatically pay my workers $1 over the prevailing rate. It would cost me $8 a shift

When you go to many of these places, the workers are disinterested, tattooed and pierced, rude and lazy. If I went to one of my competitors establishment and found they had workers I liked, I would hand them a card and offer them a dollar more.
Just a dollar more?
What about benefits?
Retirement package?
Bonus
Profit sharing?
I want two weeks paid vacation

The strike wasn't for a dollar more. It was for $15.00 an hour.

If I owned this sub shop and I was pissed off enough, I would approach my lawyers and ask for legal advice in how to dump the lot of them. A lawyer would say "wait a period of time, say a month, then close the shop and retool into something else. Then reopen." It's a way of avoiding employment law.

See how the libs have already disconnected the firings from the strike? That's how it works.

Like landlords who want to dump a tenant. They evict the person on the grounds they want to occupy the premises themselves. They move in for a month, then move out and rent it to someone else.

Actions have consequences. A sub shop in Chicago was the target of a recent protest of workers wanting $15.00 an hour. The shop fired everyone, three days before Christmas, en masse, everyone got the can.

That's the way to deal with these kinds of protests.

Chicago sandwich shop fires all its staff in an EMAIL just days before Christmas | Mail Online

A Chicago sandwich shop has fired all its employees over email just days before Christmas.
Staff at Snarf's Sub Shop in River North received the bad news on Sunday night in a group email notifying them that the drastic action was effective immediately.
The company blamed 'increased competition and losses' for the firings.
Director of operations Doug Besant said in the email the restaurant will likely close for a month as they remodel and reconcept the business into a burger joint.

The River North Snarf's shop was closed for four days, from December 5 until December 8, as employees went on striking for higher wages and better benefits.
They joined workers of fast-food chains like McDonald's, Subway, Potbelly and others in a broader strike orchestrated by the Worker's Organizing Committee of Chicago.

So an incompetent Corporatist wannabe goes out of business.

I'll be in mourning for 10 seconnds.

So while it seems that there are folks who just want flat wages to continue.
According to several economists, flat/stagnant wage growth is a large contributor to to this country's very slow recovery from the Great Recession. Seventy percent of our economy is driven by consumer spending. The working class is the largest and most active segment of the consumer class. The working class is losing expendable income due to flat wage growth. This is a lose-lose situation for this country's economy and future generations.
But hey, let's continue this trend, then our children will ask this question of their parents; "what were they thinking?"

Actions have consequences. A sub shop in Chicago was the target of a recent protest of workers wanting $15.00 an hour. The shop fired everyone, three days before Christmas, en masse, everyone got the can.

Chicago sandwich shop fires all its staff in an EMAIL just days before Christmas | Mail Online

A Chicago sandwich shop has fired all its employees over email just days before Christmas.
Staff at Snarf's Sub Shop in River North received the bad news on Sunday night in a group email notifying them that the drastic action was effective immediately.
Director of operations Doug Besant said in the email the restaurant will likely close for a month as they remodel and reconcept the business into a burger joint.

The River North Snarf's shop was closed for four days, from December 5 until December 8, as employees went on striking for higher wages and better benefits.
They joined workers of fast-food chains like McDonald's, Subway, Potbelly and others in a broader strike orchestrated by the Worker's Organizing Committee of Chicago.

They didn't go out of business. They fired the staff, as they should, and will be more careful with new hires.

Who won?

Sub shop loses business while they scramble for new employees, employees go get another low paying job

This will be interesting to see play out.

The Union boys could come by with their giant rat. Which would be a pretty bad thing for a food shop.

:lol:

They didn't go out of business. They fired the staff, as they should, and will be more careful with new hires.

Not yet.

News flash in a bad economy it would be advised not too go on strike.

I'm sure the company had an HR policy pertaining to missing excessive work days. Most places do. I'm also sure they got the company 'handbook' which spelled out the policy. KUDOS to the employer for even handedly enforcing his policies.

Federal law would have protected these employees had the stated reason for firing them been "missed work to strike". Doesn't matter what the HR policy is, it doesn't trump the law, never.

That said,this owner is obviously a jerk. Choosing to A) close right before Christmas and B) to notify his employees via email.

I'm sure the company had an HR policy pertaining to missing excessive work days. Most places do. I'm also sure they got the company 'handbook' which spelled out the policy. KUDOS to the employer for even handedly enforcing his policies.

Federal law would have protected these employees had the stated reason for firing them been "missed work to strike". Doesn't matter what the HR policy is, it doesn't trump the law, never.

That said,this owner is obviously a jerk. Choosing to A) close right before Christmas and B) to notify his employees via email.
Not if the state is an "work at will" state. You can be fired for any thing

Actually you can't.

Bias and whistleblower laws still apply.

Actually you can't.

Bias and whistleblower laws still apply.

If you are employed at will, your employer does not need good cause to fire you. In every state but Montana (which protects employees who have completed an initial "probationary period" from being fired without cause), employers are free to adopt at-will employment policies, and many of them have. In fact, unless your employer gives some clear indication that it will only fire employees for good cause, the law presumes that you are employed at will.

Employment At Will: What Does It Mean? | Nolo.com

1. His employees are so stupid they think they deserve $15 an hour so he needs smarter employees.
2. His employees are so irresponsible as to strike for a ridiculous salary right before Christmas so they deserve to be fired on the spot.

What would really be a stick in the eyes of the unions and the striking employees is if the new burger joint was state of the art automated. Now they don't need the employees at all. Hire two per shift, there you go.

Who won?

Sub shop loses business while they scramble for new employees, employees go get another low paying job

I'd say no one "won" but that the owners will come out better after they restructure, hire some employees who have better attitudes and reopen their business.

You didn't read the article, did you. (That's not a question.)

Forum List

Back