Storm Blows Super Hornet Off Carrier

I was a plane captain for the early F/A 18s in the 1980's, and when I saw this headline yesterday - I wondered how it happened. No explanation in the article. Obviously, not enough tie-downs, but how did that happen?

I want a full investigation. I want answers!

Plane captain means you're a crewchief, or a pilot?
It what they threatened us with back in A School if we flunked out.

A Plane Captain is a low level, unrated enlisted position consisting of general flight deck duties and 18 hour days.

Last edited:
Maybe more training on tie down procedures for aircraft and less training on pronouns and misgendering?

Somehow, due to experience, I doubt training on pronouns or gender were to blame. I am glad the sailer will recover from his injuries sustained serving on deck during that same storm. Pretty sure the Navy is looking into it, though doubt your assertions will be part of it.

Plane captain means you're a crewchief, or a pilot?
Plane captain is (a glorified gas station attendant) the person who assists the pilot in inspecting the aircraft before and after launch, along with a lot of other simple tasks, such as fueling, washing, moving, and tying down the $20M fucking pieces of shit. When you see a close-up of the nose landing gear doors you are apt to see the plane captain's name stenciled.

a-us-navy-plane-captain-left-signalscheck-flapsto-the-pilot-of-a-strike-fighter-4454b7-1024.jpg

Last edited:
It what they threatened us with back in A School if we flunked out.

A Plane Captain is a low level, unrated enlisted position consisting of general flight deck duties and 18 hour days.
I was on the Shitty Kitty for 3 years and I was a HT2.
I only did 5 years and ETS'ed.
My second WestPac convinced me not to reenlist in the Navy.
The Indian Ocean trip they pulled after I got the hell out of there convinced enough people to reenlist to get off CV-63....so much so that they won the Golden Anchor.

Plane captain is (a glorified gas station attendant) the person who assists the pilot in inspecting the aircraft before and after launch, along with a lot of other simple tasks, such as fueling, washing, moving, and tying down the $20M fucking pieces of shit. When you see a close-up of the nose landing gear doors you are apt to see the plane captain's name stenciled.

a-us-navy-plane-captain-left-signalscheck-flapsto-the-pilot-of-a-strike-fighter-4454b7-1024.jpg
Yeah......that's sortof like a Crewman on a Blackhawk.
Crew Chief is the guy in charge of maintenance.

The red lines on the D-Day planning map are Allied shipping lanes. The red circle is the rally point were 5,000 ships met in the middle of the night before heading to Normandy. No lights, radio silence, and no collisions occurred.
137233A5-A1AA-44D3-A1DC-B4C6D5C66945.jpeg

Today US Navy ships are running into other ships in clear weather in open seas.
And now add losing aircraft on a ship who’s sole purpose of existence is to launch aircraft.

Forum List

Back