Stop-loss

Shog, :eusa_hand: ease up, you're getting way to worked up over a movie....

First off, I never said Iraq was similar to WWII.....I said that "showing" and calling attention to caskets is something the military doesn't want done, because of moral in the soldiers as well as the citizens.

I compared the effect of ignoring caskets between WWII, Vietnam, and Iraq. In Vietnam, every night they would announce the dead on television, this made the citizens see the effects and results first hand, turning their tide against the war. I garauntee that if Vietnam had equal press as WWII and WWI, there would have been a hell of a lot more support for it. (I'm not saying that it's right, but it's true)

Would the U.S. have elected a president in a wheel-chair? Makes you wonder what ignoring and not showing something will do.

you really can't make any guarentees since the purpose for joining ww2 and for invading vietnam were WORLDS different. Stopping NAZIS after being bombed by JAPAN is a lot different than the bullshit excuse of the Domino theory.. which, if you really wanna compare a thing or two about our wars consider how the AMerican population has the brains to figure out which is a noble cause and which is bullshit politiking.

would the US have elected a black man the year LBJ was elected? Soceity has changed, dude. You can't pretend that the ONLY reason America thinks iraq is a bullshit war is because liberals have access to media vectors. At some point you have to comprehend that perhaps the nation doesn't like being baited and switched into a conflict.

also, I'm returning the sentiment dread instigated. Believe it or not, people react to being attacked. Vietnam and Iraq have that in common too.

Back to the point of the original thread.

I saw the movie in October last year, during a 'sneak preview' type thing, with a question-and-answer session afterward, with the writer/director.

See it if you want to see a bunch of events that you may have heard of throughout the last 5 years, combined into about a week's worth of time for one hapless squad.

If you're looking for a good war film or something that isn't biased, save your money.

People will try to tell you that it's "pro-troops." Don't fall for it, they may not come out directly and bash the troops, but it definitely doesn't show them in a favorable light.

Oh, and it's Hollywood. Enough said.

you really can't make any guarentees since the purpose for joining ww2 and for invading vietnam were WORLDS different. Stopping NAZIS after being bombed by JAPAN is a lot different than the bullshit excuse of the Domino theory.. which, if you really wanna compare a thing or two about our wars consider how the AMerican population has the brains to figure out which is a noble cause and which is bullshit politiking.

would the US have elected a black man the year LBJ was elected? Soceity has changed, dude. You can't pretend that the ONLY reason America thinks iraq is a bullshit war is because liberals have access to media vectors. At some point you have to comprehend that perhaps the nation doesn't like being baited and switched into a conflict.

also, I'm returning the sentiment dread instigated. Believe it or not, people react to being attacked. Vietnam and Iraq have that in common too.

Actually YOU started it with this:

04-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Shogun
Kiss my Converse Posts: 5,115
Rep Points 47760

"yes.. we should probably ignore stop loss policies just like we ignore caskets returning from iraq. Indeed, crying about Hollywood's agenda given the failing agenda of bush fans is a real knee slapping joke.

at the end of the day, movies about stop loss policies are still more tangible than phantom wmds, the capture of OBL, that dreamy economy we heard about last summer, and republican political victories since 06."

All I did was post about MY daughters experience as well as that of her fellow Naval corpsmen. And you couldnt wait to disparage THEIR service by talking about something YOU personally are NOT and HAVE NOT gone thru like you are some kind of expert while using hollywood as your backup reference tool.

NONE of these kids are into politics! They are there to do a job. And to feign actual caring about what they do and how they do it is disingenuous at best while personally being a **** at worst.

Shogun, whose comparing the reasons for war? You're pulling that out of thin air bud. Nobody's mentioned the reason's for war. After 9-11, Americans were ready to kick some ass, and I'd bet you'd be suprised the number of people who wanted to go to war with Iraq even though it didn't have anything to do with it. Then again, 80% of kids have no clue that Iraq and 9-11 are two different things.

MEDIA plays a role unfortunately, just like in our election system. I'd be suprised to know the number of people that even knew that Ron Paul was running...that's cause he was rarely on TV.

Do you think that the majority of Americans would have chosen to get involved in WWII had we not been attacked? It had been goin on for 3 years and we hadn't gotten involved yet. Shit, we let them take over France and North Africa an still didn't get involved. If it wasn't for the U.S. propoganda media, 90% of Americans would have never wanted to get and stay involved, and if it had been as televised and covered with press as this one, Americans would have had an entirely different view of war.

Same thing with WWI, 90% of of the U.S. pop. were isolationists and didn't want to get involved in European Affairs...I'm telling you, had WWI and WWII been as televised as Vietnam and Iraq, the feelings towards the war(s) would have changed.

As Germany was taking over Europe in WWI, Americans still didn't want to get involved....Americans don't like war no matter what the reason...but on the bright side we're extremely good at it.

Actually YOU started it with this:

04-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Shogun
Kiss my Converse Posts: 5,115
Rep Points 47760

"yes.. we should probably ignore stop loss policies just like we ignore caskets returning from iraq. Indeed, crying about Hollywood's agenda given the failing agenda of bush fans is a real knee slapping joke.

at the end of the day, movies about stop loss policies are still more tangible than phantom wmds, the capture of OBL, that dreamy economy we heard about last summer, and republican political victories since 06."

All I did was post about MY daughters experience as well as that of her fellow Naval corpsmen. And you couldnt wait to disparage THEIR service by talking about something YOU personally are NOT and HAVE NOT gone thru like you are some kind of expert while using hollywood as your backup reference tool.

NONE of these kids are into politics! They are there to do a job. And to feign actual caring about what they do and how they do it is disingenuous at best while personally being a **** at worst.

indeed, we AS A FUCKING NATION, sure don't have any experience in the marginalization and obfuscation of casualty-laden reprocussions of your plastic fucking patriotism, do we? No, CLEARLY the one cockgobbler who thinks that his OWN personal fucking military story is the epitome of military concern is probably the sole voice of the American support for troops. CLEARLY. I don't really give a fuck if you think that anyone who brings up addressing casualties of war disparage your kid. Why? Because YOu are not the only motherfucker with friends and family caught up in the product of your gay fucking 04 flag waving and too stupid for prime time short sighted inability to see beyond your own political fucking identity how hindsight MIGHT just become more tangible than your standard issue ken mehlman talking points. Further, if a fucking director wants to make a film about a FACT OF THE FUCKING MATTER, like stop loss policies, then you can go sit down and shut the fuck up and DEAL with it now that your turn to rule the world is over. AND, when I make reference to the FACT of the 04 reaction to returning caskets, as it relates to the idea that stop loss movies are similarly lacking in patriotism, you can either comprehend what im actually saying or sit of your fucking thumb long enough for your concern to pass.

Come this fall you will be CHOKING on donkey dick so get used to being angry every day and speed dialing your talk radio show du jour while the OTHER half of this nation isn't out relying on draconian retention policies and lowered standards to pretend that this war is WORTH the sacrifice of military lives.

in other words, fuck you. If you don't like the idea of a stop loss movie then too fucking bad. Crying about the messenger wont make polishing a turd any more attractive than it already isn't. Put that on your gay fucking car magnet and smoke it.

Shogun, whose comparing the reasons for war? You're pulling that out of thin air bud. Nobody's mentioned the reason's for war. After 9-11, Americans were ready to kick some ass, and I'd bet you'd be suprised the number of people who wanted to go to war with Iraq even though it didn't have anything to do with it. Then again, 80% of kids have no clue that Iraq and 9-11 are two different things.

MEDIA plays a role unfortunately, just like in our election system. I'd be suprised to know the number of people that even knew that Ron Paul was running...that's cause he was rarely on TV.

Do you think that the majority of Americans would have chosen to get involved in WWII had we not been attacked? It had been goin on for 3 years and we hadn't gotten involved yet. Shit, we let them take over France and North Africa an still didn't get involved. If it wasn't for the U.S. propoganda media, 90% of Americans would have never wanted to get and stay involved, and if it had been as televised and covered with press as this one, Americans would have had an entirely different view of war.

Same thing with WWI, 90% of of the U.S. pop. were isolationists and didn't want to get involved in European Affairs...I'm telling you, had WWI and WWII been as televised as Vietnam and Iraq, the feelings towards the war(s) would have changed.

As Germany was taking over Europe in WWI, Americans still didn't want to get involved....Americans don't like war no matter what the reason...but on the bright side we're extremely good at it.

IM mentioning the origin because YOU are making the comparison. You know, giving you specific reasons why ww2 doesn't fit the comparison since we see how vietnamtastic this war is? You act as if I wasn't around on 9/11. Hell, dude... I watched the second plane hit. I saw redneck farmboys waving a giant fucking American flag after the bar closed and student-townie populations were milling about in the town square not wanting to go home. I saw the population of exchange students (the hip hop hindus, as they were called) coming from anywhere NEAR the mid east disappear for weeks. I'm well aware of the aftermath of 9/11. I assure you that the occasion wasn't reserved only for sabre rattling warmongers since, on that very day, our focus was on OBL and not the bait and switched invasion of Iraq. Please, spare me the "if you only knew how the people reacted to 9/11" speech.

Yes, media plays a role.. otherwise, it wouldn't have been necessary to filter out the reqrocussions of war monging since, if it were an actually valid reason for war, no one would NEED daily reconfirmation. Do you think The confederacy needed daily fucking talking heads and 5 second soundbytes to remember why they ceded from the union? no. Because THEIR war meant more to them than this plastic patriotism product of a war sold to the US.. through the media. Mushroom clouds, remember? "gotta hit us again", remember? Yellow cake and uranium from niger, remember? anthrax and that lame fucking deck of cards, remember? fox fucking news and every other talking head with more car magnet money than brains? im well aware of the role of the media.

The problem with your ww2 and ww1 talking point.. ready? IRAQ WASNT INVADING A GODDAMN THING. IRAQ DIDN"T ATTACK US. IRAQ WASNT CUNDUCTING A HOLOCAUST. If invading Iraq makes you proud them go watch how we allowed Saddam to die and tell me just how much our efforts REALLY made a difference. Go find OBL and wonder why in the fuck he's still alive while we let iaraqi puppet sects do to Saddam what Saddam did to other iraqis.

If you've been sold a fucking lemon it doesn't matter how much lapel flag pin thumping, car magnet patriotism castigation warmongers spread around while the rest of us considers a few hindsight facts rather than theoretical bullshit that is meant to save more political face than win a conflict in the mid east. Spare me the fucking guilt trip about patriotism, dude. Real patriots wouldn't have let their nation get caught up in this kind of bullshit.

indeed, we AS A FUCKING NATION, sure don't have any experience in the marginalization and obfuscation of casualty-laden reprocussions of your plastic fucking patriotism, do we? No, CLEARLY the one cockgobbler who thinks that his OWN personal fucking military story is the epitome of military concern is probably the sole voice of the American support for troops. CLEARLY. I don't really give a fuck if you think that anyone who brings up addressing casualties of war disparage your kid. Why? Because YOu are not the only motherfucker with friends and family caught up in the product of your gay fucking 04 flag waving and too stupid for prime time short sighted inability to see beyond your own political fucking identity how hindsight MIGHT just become more tangible than your standard issue ken mehlman talking points. Further, if a fucking director wants to make a film about a FACT OF THE FUCKING MATTER, like stop loss policies, then you can go sit down and shut the fuck up and DEAL with it now that your turn to rule the world is over. AND, when I make reference to the FACT of the 04 reaction to returning caskets, as it relates to the idea that stop loss movies are similarly lacking in patriotism, you can either comprehend what im actually saying or sit of your fucking thumb long enough for your concern to pass.

Come this fall you will be CHOKING on donkey dick so get used to being angry every day and speed dialing your talk radio show du jour while the OTHER half of this nation isn't out relying on draconian retention policies and lowered standards to pretend that this war is WORTH the sacrifice of military lives.

in other words, fuck you. If you don't like the idea of a stop loss movie then too fucking bad. Crying about the messenger wont make polishing a turd any more attractive than it already isn't. Put that on your gay fucking car magnet and smoke it.

Pretty sad that you cant handle one good story about a personal experience in the military because THAT would throw all your tender belief systems out of whack...Poor soul

Now tell the message board again how strong your belief system is. Go on...Tell the rest of the board how much you really LOOOOOVE the miltary and how you honestly do care for them....

in turn, their service and dedication becomes personal regretful avoidance once stop loss policies are ignored by the likes of you.

you can go fuck YOURSELF with your silly little overcompensation of troop support that has about as much impact as W bumper stickers have on phantom wmds.

You really are an obnoxious moron, Shogun. The only ones who are ignoring the sacrifices being made are jackasses like yourself, who think it's okay to criticize, condescend to and insult the mothers of soldiers.

Pretty sad that you cant handle one good story about a personal experience in the military because THAT would throw all your tender belief systems out of whack...Poor soul

Now tell the message board again how strong your belief system is. Go on...Tell the rest of the board how much you really LOOOOOVE the miltary and how you honestly do care for them....

I don't need to wave my patriotism around like a phallic symbol sprots car for an aging, bald man. I've defended marine recruiting stations when berkely was trying to kick them out. MY posts speak for themselves. I have friends and family IN fucking Iraq RIGHT NOW too. I"VE taken the time to critically think about these things rather than join the fucking school of fish waving their lapel pins around as if that means more than sending kids off to die so you don't feel especially shitty for your 04 vote. THIS is the difference between the likes of me and a car magnet monkey like you.

I have friends and family stationed in the mid east just like a whole RANGE of Americans who don't define their patriotism by how narrow they must keep their scope of vision on pain of triggering your lame fucking car magnet patriotism. It may come as a shock but you don't have a monopoly of supporting the military.. ESPECIALLY when all you are doing is using their deaths as martyrs just like a fucking suicide bomber uses 72 virgins.

Your first post to mention my nickname wasn't merely some feel good "happy little trees" story about your kids in the military. Shall I fucking quote you or would that be a little to close to t'rrism for your liking?

You really are an obnoxious moron, Shogun. The only ones who are ignoring the sacrifices being made are jackasses like yourself, who think it's okay to criticize, condescend to and insult the mothers of soldiers.

Maybe I should tell you the same thing your side told Casey Sheehans mom. Oh, silly me.. SHE doesn't count as much as you do.

duh.

Hell, being a mother of a soldier probably gives you full reign to decide who is patriotic or not! After all, YOU ARE the standard by which the rest of us with military friends and fam must guage our concern for the military! You ARE the fucking poster child of military concern, lemme tellya! No one in the rest of America knows anything about concern or support for troops like YOU! That realm of consideration is TOTALLY your sole ballgame! It's probably TRUE! No one else supports the military unless they are waving their car magnet plastic patriotism in your image, eh?

:cuckoo:

Yeah. Well. Sorry I'm not into "honoring" the troops by picking fights with their MOMS over who pays more or more honorable attention to body bags.

Jackass.

Yeah. Well. Sorry I'm not into "honoring" the troops by picking fights with their MOMS over who pays more or more honorable attention to body bags.

Jackass.

So, only living troops that support bush count, eh? Lemme guess how you reacted when the same predictable condemnation was directed at cindy sheehan... Do you give her as much consideration? NO??!?!?!?!?!?!? Support ends at death then, baba? Only people who disillusion themselves about the iraq invasion count, eh? silly me.

no shit, baba.. It's almost as if the only military mothers you want to support are those who jump on your bandwagon... Funny how that works, eh? Sheehan DESERVES her criticism but this one doesn't... neat how you rationalize that.

I don't need to wave my patriotism around like a phallic symbol sprots car for an aging, bald man. I've defended marine recruiting stations when berkely was trying to kick them out. MY posts speak for themselves. I have friends and family IN fucking Iraq RIGHT NOW too. I"VE taken the time to critically think about these things rather than join the fucking school of fish waving their lapel pins around as if that means more than sending kids off to die so you don't feel especially shitty for your 04 vote. THIS is the difference between the likes of me and a car magnet monkey like you.

I have friends and family stationed in the mid east just like a whole RANGE of Americans who don't define their patriotism by how narrow they must keep their scope of vision on pain of triggering your lame fucking car magnet patriotism. It may come as a shock but you don't have a monopoly of supporting the military.. ESPECIALLY when all you are doing is using their deaths as martyrs just like a fucking suicide bomber uses 72 virgins.

Your first post to mention my nickname wasn't merely some feel good "happy little trees" story about your kids in the military. Shall I fucking quote you or would that be a little to close to t'rrism for your liking?

You still dont get it do you...This has NOTHING to do with patriotism....It has zilch to do with any politics or any President. These kids dont want to die. They accept the consequences of their choices not because of you or I but for something bigger than themselves.

This is something I dont expect you to understand. You are not and never will be part of the military. Having friends and family over in Iraq IS NOT the same as being there. These people go through experiences that a civilian could never comprehend.

And yet it is civilians who cant wait to tell a military person HOW they should act, and HOW they should feel, and HOW they are supposed to do things.

Pretty sad that you have deemed yourself GOD.

Your hatred for people in the military is very clear. You disrespect them every chance you get. THAT has nothing to do with patriotism. It has EVERYTHING to do with your lack of humanitarianism.

You still dont get it do you...This has NOTHING to do with patriotism....It has zilch to do with any politics or any President. These kids dont want to die. They accept the consequences of their choices not because of you or I but for something bigger than themselves.

This is something I dont expect you to understand. You are not and never will be part of the military. Having friends and family over in Iraq IS NOT the same as being there. These people go through experiences that a civilian could never comprehend.

And yet it is civilians who cant wait to tell a military person HOW they should act, and HOW they should feel, and HOW they are supposed to do things.

Pretty sad that you have deemed yourself GOD.

Your hatred for people in the military is very clear. You disrespect them every chance you get. THAT has nothing to do with patriotism. It has EVERYTHING to do with your lack of humanitarianism.

Trust me, your opinion and standards regarding weather or not civilians can ever fully comprehend the sacrifice being made is about as valuable as a ten day old shit sandwich. Your concept of what is being fought for, fought over and died for isn't any more universal than your OPINION about whose military support qualifies or not. You are no better than cindy Sheehan yet I bet two out of my ten fingers that you don't give "that bitch" any quarter with HER opinon of what it means to support the troops..

And, just so you know, you are not livinig is a fucking vacuum where you are the only person who is personally affected by this shit. Trust me when I say that i wish such was the case. Then, maybe I wouldn't have to wonder when MY military connections get to die for the sake of, thats right, a CIVILIAN presidential commander in chief.

Oh, and just so you know, you don't speak for the rest of the military OR the soldiers OR the people with whome KNOW what it means to be concerned about their friends and family just as much as you do. If sean hannity;s got you thinking different with his plastic patriotism buttoned on his flag lapel pin then welcome to the real world..

you know.. a real world where dead soldiers are the product of lemming-like support for a rediculous conflict which requires you to scrape together whatever validity that is left from the IED explosion to use as an excuse for your war support.

So, only living troops that support bush count, eh? Lemme guess how you reacted when the same predictable condemnation was directed at cindy sheehan... Do you give her as much consideration? NO??!?!?!?!?!?!? Support ends at death then, baba? Only people who disillusion themselves about the iraq invasion count, eh? silly me.

no shit, baba.. It's almost as if the only military mothers you want to support are those who jump on your bandwagon... Funny how that works, eh? Sheehan DESERVES her criticism but this one doesn't... neat how you rationalize that.

Nope, never said that, never will. That's your imagination talking again. While I certainly was never in the SHeehan camp, I don't think I would ever stoop so low as to rant at her that she was ignoring the deaths of soldiers. I have enough sense to know that would just be counted inflammatory tripe, just as it is when you say it.

Try not to assume everyone is like you, Shogun. We aren't all ravening zealots who think we know what's in people's minds; and further, what they SHOULD be thinking.
Jackass.

IM mentioning the origin because YOU are making the comparison. You know, giving you specific reasons why ww2 doesn't fit the comparison since we see how vietnamtastic this war is? You act as if I wasn't around on 9/11. Hell, dude... I watched the second plane hit. I saw redneck farmboys waving a giant fucking American flag after the bar closed and student-townie populations were milling about in the town square not wanting to go home. I saw the population of exchange students (the hip hop hindus, as they were called) coming from anywhere NEAR the mid east disappear for weeks. I'm well aware of the aftermath of 9/11. I assure you that the occasion wasn't reserved only for sabre rattling warmongers since, on that very day, our focus was on OBL and not the bait and switched invasion of Iraq. Please, spare me the "if you only knew how the people reacted to 9/11" speech.

So, in other words, you agree....could have shortened it a bit.

Yes, media plays a role.. otherwise, it wouldn't have been necessary to filter out the reqrocussions of war monging since, if it were an actually valid reason for war, no one would NEED daily reconfirmation. Do you think The confederacy needed daily fucking talking heads and 5 second soundbytes to remember why they ceded from the union? no. Because THEIR war meant more to them than this plastic patriotism product of a war sold to the US.. through the media. Mushroom clouds, remember? "gotta hit us again", remember? Yellow cake and uranium from niger, remember? anthrax and that lame fucking deck of cards, remember? fox fucking news and every other talking head with more car magnet money than brains? im well aware of the role of the media.

So in other words, you agree....could have shortened it a bit.

The problem with your ww2 and ww1 talking point.. ready? IRAQ WASNT INVADING A GODDAMN THING. IRAQ DIDN"T ATTACK US. IRAQ WASNT CUNDUCTING A HOLOCAUST. If invading Iraq makes you proud them go watch how we allowed Saddam to die and tell me just how much our efforts REALLY made a difference. Go find OBL and wonder why in the fuck he's still alive while we let iaraqi puppet sects do to Saddam what Saddam did to other iraqis.

As for this, my comparison was not based on the reasons for war, and "I'm well aware" of the reasons....it's based on the fact that media controls attitudes towards the war, which you've already agreed to above.

If this war was completely justifiable (Not saying that it is) and the media was reporting on the war as this big disaster and we were wrongly involved, I'd garauntee people would have different attitudes towards a justifiable war. by the way, don't get all ramped up about THIS war, I'm talking about the affect of media on war in general.

If you've been sold a fucking lemon it doesn't matter how much lapel flag pin thumping, car magnet patriotism castigation warmongers spread around while the rest of us considers a few hindsight facts rather than theoretical bullshit that is meant to save more political face than win a conflict in the mid east. Spare me the fucking guilt trip about patriotism, dude. Real patriots wouldn't have let their nation get caught up in this kind of bullshit.

What did you do? Apparently not enough...........so I guess we're all in the same boat together...get over yourself and don't let your head explode....

Nope, never said that, never will. That's your imagination talking again. While I certainly was never in the SHeehan camp, I don't think I would ever stoop so low as to rant at her that she was ignoring the deaths of soldiers. I have enough sense to know that would just be counted inflammatory tripe, just as it is when you say it.

Try not to assume everyone is like you, Shogun. We aren't all ravening zealots who think we know what's in people's minds; and further, what they SHOULD be thinking.
Jackass.

:rofl:

yea.. OOOOOOk. you must have taken the time zone overpass to get here.

Maybe if you'd have actually read the thread you'd have seen who threw what gauntlet down first.. But, for you, it's par for the course. CLEARLY, the mothers of soldiers are super-americans unless they are liberal, vote democrat, have a different "non-rove" approved opinion of the war and can fathom how laughable it is to cry about the media regarding a movie about stop loss policies despite the FACT of the active censorship of returning bodies draped in the American flag. Indeed, it's probably NOT as ironic as your willingness to cater only to military mothers as long as they recite what you want to hear.

good dog. shake... now gimme a high five... roll over!

What did you do? Apparently not enough...........so I guess we're all in the same boat together...get over yourself and don't let your head explode....

you know, staging a fucking coup on the white house just wasn't on my agenda that day.

:rofl:

yea.. OOOOOOk. you must have taken the time zone overpass to get here.

Maybe if you'd have actually read the thread you'd have seen who threw what gauntlet down first.. But, for you, it's par for the course. CLEARLY, the mothers of soldiers are super-americans unless they are liberal, vote democrat, have a different "non-rove" approved opinion of the war and can fathom how laughable it is to cry about the media regarding a movie about stop loss policies despite the FACT of the active censorship of returning bodies draped in the American flag. Indeed, it's probably NOT as ironic as your willingness to cater only to military mothers as long as they recite what you want to hear.

good dog. shake... now gimme a high five... roll over!

More silliness based upon the false premise that I cater to military mothers as long as they recite what I want to hear.

For any of your blather to work, you have to establish that. And you can't, because it's all in your head.

you know, staging a fucking coup on the white house just wasn't on my agenda that day.

fair enough, so don't go throwing around accusations about REAL patriots when you've done (or not done) just as much as anyone else. :cool:

Forum List

Back