How Can Anyone Think The US Military Is Doing a Good Job?

Discussion in 'Military' started by TheGoodShepherd, Apr 2, 2008.

1. TheGoodShepherd

TheGoodShepherd BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Right off the bat, I want to state I'm not talking about the entire history of the US armed forces. I'm talking about the modern US military.

The surge proved one thing - the US military transformed itself, by sheer stupidity, into the underdog. The surge's very existence remains an explicit admission of failure. If events in Iraq proceeded in a better way, one wouldn't reccommend a surge in the first place. If things were going better, one wouldn't argue a need to maintain a surge.

Obviously the military is not doing a good job. Only a biased, subjective twit would conclude otherwise.

Five years and no Bin Laden. The wars in Afghanistan and Iraq rage on. Nearing a trillion dollars in treasure spent and no end to the wars in sight. Iran, of all nations, has exploited the situation. In a cruel twist of fate to the Americans, Iran finds herself in a strengthened position then the mullah heads ever dreamed possible in 2003.

And some think the US military has done a good job?

My question is what the hell are they good at? With all seriousness, what the hell are they good at? Again, what is it Americans think the US military is good at?

Firing $25 million dollar missles to kill two, maybe three low level insurgents and their infant children? Losing millions of dollars in Humvees to one dollar pipe bombs?

The poor souls even failed to complete their main mission (catching Osama) before purposefully agreeing to, or going along with, creating another problem (the Iraq war).

With all honestly, the current US military is really and I mean really capable of following the orders of people who don't know what they're doing. That much is certainly clear.

I do really want to know, what the hell are these guys good at?

Don't give me that patriotic garbage either. I want hard real world answers.

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Answers to WHAT? You have proven in one thread you don't have clue about the topic you have chosen to grace this board with your little rant about.

The simple fact is, you are attempting to dishonestly or ignorantly correlate military capability with political will. Politicians decide what the military does, and in a lot of cases, how it's done based on political reasons. The military merely tries to take the shittiest of deals and make them work.

Try discussing politics. You might be better than completely ignorant at THAT.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  3. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Say this schpil to the military's face and they'll do a damn good job of making you sorry that you said it.

The military doesn't just run a muck and do what they want to do. Unfortunately, they have to follow orders from retarded politicians who have political agendas and think that they know what's going on. They make poltical decisions and not military ones. LIke Gunny said, the military takes what's given to them and tries to make the best of it. You're military does the same thing. Maybe you've got better politicians(that may make the difference).
    Our military does a great job of doing the job that's given to them...whether the politics of of the job are right or wrong doesn't matter. It's not the military doing a bad job, it's the decision makers. If that decision maker says to clear a town of insurgents, it's done. If that decision maker says to wage an all-out offensive on a terrorist and insurgent stronghold, they get the job done. They can't help it if they get retarded orders from a higher power... If it were a democracy in the military, then nobody would do what they were told.

4. dread

dread Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43

Word up!

People have no concept how much good the military provides EVEN in their daily lives. Many medical breakthoughs have been made on battlefields BECAUSE of the military.

Engineers practice and hone their skills BEFORE using it in the civilian world.

The list could go on and on yet people blame the hard working stiffs for all that ails them.

5. maineman

maineman BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +572
    bingo!:clap2:

6. Abelian Sea

Abelian Sea o_O

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I think you've already said the answer you want to hear:

And personally, I'd much prefer a military that follows even poorly-thought-out orders from its government over a military that doesn't follow orders from its government. I mean, I guess military juntas aren't quite the worst kind of government to be stuck with, but I've grown rather fond of our current system, however prone to schizophrenia it may be.

Huh. Catching bin Laden sounds more suited to a CIA-type outfit to me, but what do I know?

As for "going along with" their orders to go to Iraq, see my response to the previous quote.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. Diuretic

Diuretic Permanently confused

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,397
    Is this flame bait or is it serious?

8. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I would concur with "Flame bait", however, if it is not, than God save that man's brain.

9. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    What is the US Military good at? The military is good at taking stupid orders from commanders in chief who have never served and doing the best they possibly can in any given situation. The military is good at learning from its mistakes (something a lot of other people aren't that good at) and applying past lessons to current situations.

For your information, Shepard, the British have spent decades in Ireland and still not completely pacified the place. It took ten years of fighting in Malaysia before that conflict was resolved. It took the US military 10 years of hard fighting in the Phillipines to resolve that problem. Counterinsurgency warfare is not clean, quick or easy. Maybe if all of the arm chair generals had shut up, we would have dealt with this problem in 1991, like we should have, and we wouldn't have to be having this debate.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    here here :clap2: :cool: