Stop-loss

Discussion in 'Military' started by BrianH, Apr 3, 2008.

1. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489281/

I havn't seen this movie yet, but I'm not sure if I want to. Granted they can make whatever movie they want, but do you think that it's the right thing to do? What kind of message does this send to future generations of the military (WHICH WE NEED)? In a time where we definately need solutions to division, is this movie promoting solution or more division?

Should a military solider take it upon himself KNOW what he is getting into before he joins?

IMO, the U.S. military is volunteer force...U.S. soldiers should read all and know all about what they're getting in to. They should know the possibilities of what can happen in war-time, and know that they will not get a say in the decision making process (when or where) to go to war. I feel that if you join the Army, knowing good and well, that you may be sent to a war you don't agree with, or are not going to agree with it's policies, that you shouldn't join to begin with. I can't stand to see military officers, soldiers (which are few) trying to get out of what they volunteered for. They're not only bailing on they're country, but they're bailing on their friends in uniform. That's like joining a volunteer fire-department and then refusing to put out a fire when you see that it's burning down your high-school arch-enemy's house.

2. dread

dread Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43
    One must take into consideration that this is hollywood and they have an agenda. Hollywood doesnt want anyone to know that there are plenty of youngsters who go willing into the miltary, know what is expected of them, and wouldnt change their choice for the world.

Point in case is my oldest. She is somewhat of a free spirit who loves painting and photography. Sassy and mouthy and not very good at taking orders without skulking all over the place. I noticed she had a penchant towards medicine and pushed her towards that career field. I also realized she wouldnt do so well in the Army ( like her parents) and would really tank if she went into the Marines. She we steered her towards the Navy. She went in as enlisted because like most kids her age she didnt know if she wanted this to be her future.

To our surprise she not only loved being a medic she flourished. She is being persued by a recruiter to go to officer canidate school and she is actually contemplating becoming a doctor and making the Navy a full twenty year career. Who would have thought?

She calls us weekly to tell us about her latest patient that she gets to lance or help work on in the emergency room. Her only regret is getting involved with a guy in 'A ' school and NOT signing up for Iraq. She feels she would have furthered her field experience if she had not choosen stateside. So now she is trying to get stationed at GITMO.

Her new boyfriend is schedualed to leave for BUD's in June as he wants desperatly to be a Navy Seal and all her friends have been signing up for new and more dangerous assignments as well.

These kids know what they are getting into and really want to help.

I guess different people have different ideas about what help is?

3. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    yes.. we should probably ignore stop loss policies just like we ignore caskets returning from iraq. Indeed, crying about Hollywood's agenda given the failing agenda of bush fans is a real knee slapping joke.

at the end of the day, movies about stop loss policies are still more tangible than phantom wmds, the capture of OBL, that dreamy economy we heard about last summer, and republican political victories since 06.

4. dread

dread Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43

I am not a Bush fan....And you can go fuck yourself AND your ideals as they will NEVER amount to the service and dedication of those kids who are in the military of their own free will.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    and then many will have the experience scar them mentally forever ..some will come back with burned and disfigured faces..mutilated bodies..some wont come back at all...and for what purpose ? and to serve whom ?....
    hey but your feel good "my sassy oldest "story was such better propaganda for recruitment wasn't it...

6. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238

(That's great Dread, that's good that she's interested in that. I've always wanted to be in the military but was disqualified for health reasons. I was cleared to go to MEPS to enlist and went through the whole process, however, when we had to strip to our underwear, the Doc noticed the scars on my chest and disqualified me. Sucks...but I guess it happened for a reason.)

I'm not going to start an argument about this, because I'm not really sure how I feel about the movie yet, havn't seen it.

I don't have full knowledge about the Stop-Loss policy, but from what I gather, it's been around since the Vietnam War, and that soldiers are well aware of the stop-loss policy before they join. And IMO, I feel that if they don't know about the stop-loss policy, then it's their own fault for not doing their homework on the military before they joined. If I like everything about a town except the fact that 90% of the population are sex-offenders, I'm not moving there. To me, if that's something they don't want to risk, they shouldn't join.

Part of the problem, is I think we have a large amount of soldiers that are enlisting to make money for college and that's it.

7. dread

dread Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43

That's only because my daughter...Hell both my girls have more intestinal fortitude than your punk ass. God you are fuckin wuss! What with your pussy scared ass you might as well not bother to go on living. Do yourself a favor and quit while you are ahead.

8. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    in turn, their service and dedication becomes personal regretful avoidance once stop loss policies are ignored by the likes of you.

you can go fuck YOURSELF with your silly little overcompensation of troop support that has about as much impact as W bumper stickers have on phantom wmds.

9. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    What bullshit. Hollywood doesn't give a flying fuck what people believe about the military. Just like the right, it's all about making money.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Agreed this war is bogus, but the fact that you can run your mouth or even express your view (or fingers) is testiment to the men and women who served. It's a good thing you're not from Iraq, you'd already have been tortured and killed in one of Saddams palaces.

Like I've said a thousand times, the troops don't decide on where they want to go. They give their lives for you regardless of whether or not they're involved in a bogus war. They gave it up with the prospect of protecting your precious freedom of speech and all of the conspiracy crap that comes out of your mouth. If we were really in a fascist state like you suppose, the NSA would be knocking at your door right now.