Stock-checking trip.

HenryBHough

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Oak Grove, Massachusetts
I know you'll miss me but please understand the next several days will be consumed checking the stocks (and replenishing as needed) in the place where I'll sit out a good part off the rapidly looming American Civil War II. It'll also be a nice short vacation - plenty of water and fish in the stream. Good weather forecast for several days.

The domestic water source is secure. Food - unless somebody found their way in - should be adequate.

Gotta check the solar cells and batteries - some are about due for replacement (the batteries).

Fuel enough on hand to keep warm for a full year - maybe a little longer if the coming winter is as warm as our Global-WTF cultists imagine.

Shouldn't need much in the way of medical supplies as there's a nice stock of ammo. But if there's room in the ATV trailer - what the hell. There is no such thing as too much ammo.

Ah, toilet paper. Yeah, better bring a fresh stock. When the place is left for a few months that stuff gets damp even in a couple of layers of plastic.

Only hope is that the No-Pest strips did their deadly work.

See ya later this week.

I know you'll miss me but please understand the next several days will be consumed checking the stocks (and replenishing as needed) in the place where I'll sit out a good part off the rapidly looming American Civil War II. It'll also be a nice short vacation - plenty of water and fish in the stream. Good weather forecast for several days.

The domestic water source is secure. Food - unless somebody found their way in - should be adequate.

Gotta check the solar cells and batteries - some are about due for replacement (the batteries).

Fuel enough on hand to keep warm for a full year - maybe a little longer if the coming winter is as warm as our Global-WTF cultists imagine.

Shouldn't need much in the way of medical supplies as there's a nice stock of ammo. But if there's room in the ATV trailer - what the hell. There is no such thing as too much ammo.

Ah, toilet paper. Yeah, better bring a fresh stock. When the place is left for a few months that stuff gets damp even in a couple of layers of plastic.

Only hope is that the No-Pest strips did their deadly work.

See ya later this week.
Make sure you have plenty of Twinkies, and put all your electronics inside a Faraday cage.

[
Make sure you have plenty of Twinkies, and put all your electronics inside a Faraday cage.

I'm back - the restocking is done.

Though some may thing you were joking.....you really were on target!

The electronics ARE in a Faraday cage and have been for many years. The (small) building is wrapped in a copper mesh, all joints silver-soldered, and grounded through a couple of 4-inch wide copper straps which are bonded to a total of six copper rods driven to 8-feet each. It was done for other reasons (things nearby) but the protection would do a lot to prevent EMP damage.

The Twinkies are not a favorite and I don't stock any but know others who do. They're....let's say politely....well provided with preservatives and don't seem to rot for decades unless the wrapper is broken then they'll go moldy. Slowly, it is true, but turn green none the less.

Know it or not, you got it right!

[

I'm back - the restocking is done.

Though some may thing you were joking.....you really were on target!

The electronics ARE in a Faraday cage and have been for many years. The (small) building is wrapped in a copper mesh, all joints silver-soldered, and grounded through a couple of 4-inch wide copper straps which are bonded to a total of six copper rods driven to 8-feet each. It was done for other reasons (things nearby) but the protection would do a lot to prevent EMP damage.

The Twinkies are not a favorite and I don't stock any but know others who do. They're....let's say politely....well provided with preservatives and don't seem to rot for decades unless the wrapper is broken then they'll go moldy. Slowly, it is true, but turn green none the less.

Know it or not, you got it right!
I was joking, but I have been contemplating what would happen if we got hit with an EMP weapon. I don't know how long it would take to get the electrical grid back up. We could be well and truly fucked if such a thing was to happen. I have beep prepping on a small and light scale, but have been thinking about buying and stocking a remote bug out location. One concern is my diabetic wife. Once the stock of insulin runs out, then what?

I was joking, but I have been contemplating what would happen if we got hit with an EMP weapon. I don't know how long it would take to get the electrical grid back up. We could be well and truly fucked if such a thing was to happen. I have beep prepping on a small and light scale, but have been thinking about buying and stocking a remote bug out location. One concern is my diabetic wife. Once the stock of insulin runs out, then what?

I have asked my doctor a somewhat similar question. Best he could offer was to be sure you're well-stocked with foods that are very low in carbs, Have a good supply of test strips, a couple of meters with spare batteries. Test often and do your best to control...and exercise. A treadmill with a little generator attached to do stuff like charge batteries can help keep blood sugar lower. That wasn't "official" or in any way "sanctioned" advice; just what he could come up with off the cuff. It all depends on how severe the condition.

I have asked my doctor a somewhat similar question. Best he could offer was to be sure you're well-stocked with foods that are very low in carbs, Have a good supply of test strips, a couple of meters with spare batteries. Test often and do your best to control...and exercise. A treadmill with a little generator attached to do stuff like charge batteries can help keep blood sugar lower. That wasn't "official" or in any way "sanctioned" advice; just what he could come up with off the cuff. It all depends on how severe the condition.
Yeah, we have gotten her insulin down quite a bit by going to a plant based diet, but I think she would be in trouble if no insulin was available.Like the treadmill attached to a generator idea, or a stationary bike with generator. If anything serious was to happen, it would be like going back in time a hundred years. I doubt most people could adapt.

Forum List

Back