States asserting rights

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
Lawmakers in the Texas House sent the U.S. Congress a message on Saturday to mind its own business.

But just so no one gets the wrong message, House Concurrent Resolution 50 now says that Texas is still proud to be part of the U.S. of A.

The resolution “is about succeeding in the union, not seceding from the union,” said Rep. Brandon Creighton, R-Conroe, the resolution’s author. “It is not a slap. It is a reminder.”
statesman.com | Texas asserts its sovereignty | Postcards

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people 10th Amendment.

Texas is only one state of a number of states currently sending the very same hands off message to Washington. It's very clear in the constitution and Texas however among all these states is very unique. The Texas V. White decision which is among the worst in my opinion ever to be made by the Supreme Court used the the Articles of Confederation as a basis in which to hold Texas in the Union and no the US constitution. In my humble opinion given the US Govts. recent willingness to get into everything from banking to the auto industry, these kinds of issues will become more and more front page news.

I completely agree, Lydon Johnson, Anne Richards, Henery Cisneros, Preston Smith, the list is endless. My personal favorite is Sheila Jackson Lee here are a few of her little hits.

1. She Voluteered to Be and Advocate for Elian Gonzalez’s Father
2. She Got Herself Essentially Banned From Continental Airlines
3. She assereted that congress needs to change the justice system in Houston.

Just to name a few and then again there is George W. Bush who i'm sure is also on the list as well just to be fair here.

They can talk a good fight. States' rights went down the toilet nearly 150 years ago... they're probably not coming back.

Kalam your most likely right, most political hack pay lip service to garner votes to keep them seated these days rather that apply the principles they are supposed to be representing. I'm sure while the states can assert all they wish states rights the Fed. has many useful tools to supplant states rights by withholding funds etc. Still it would nice to see a political figure actually show a little deference to the constitution every so often no matter how alien that concept may seem.

Forum List

Back