Starting my own business has not been a pretty ride..makes me hate the government.

You only ever hear about the "bad" things government does. How about the protection from predatory practices by businesses already in the field? Do we really want to go back to the Standard Oil days, when it wasn't government that hampered business, but large companies that prevented new companies from forming and drove others out of business by shady practices? At least with government you can vote people out and change laws. No such luck when stuck in a minarchist libertarian "paradise".

What a joke - My business just received another threat of force letter from the state government (Colorado Department of Labor and Employment), listing the unemployment insurance rate for 2013 - the rate that I must pay to ensure that in case I fire myself, the government will send money back to me personally to take care of me during the tough times, so I guess I don't need to save for myself - the nanny's got my back. Interestingly at the bottom, they bribe me with this message "You can get a lower rate for 2013 if you have a computed rate and are up-to-date with all of your payments. (I am). To get a lower rate, you must make an extra payment called a 'voluntary payment.' This payment must be received my March 14, 2013. See the voluntary-payment instructions form in this packet."

My lord that's an awful lot of whining. Don't you have a business to run?

You only ever hear about the "bad" things government does. How about the protection from predatory practices by businesses already in the field? Do we really want to go back to the Standard Oil days, when it wasn't government that hampered business, but large companies that prevented new companies from forming and drove others out of business by shady practices? At least with government you can vote people out and change laws. No such luck when stuck in a minarchist libertarian "paradise".

I provide a service...the government makes it hard to do that. I am my only employee. I am not Standard Oil. The old soviet union...you would love it.

What a joke - My business just received another threat of force letter from the state government (Colorado Department of Labor and Employment), listing the unemployment insurance rate for 2013 - the rate that I must pay to ensure that in case I fire myself, the government will send money back to me personally to take care of me during the tough times, so I guess I don't need to save for myself - the nanny's got my back. Interestingly at the bottom, they bribe me with this message "You can get a lower rate for 2013 if you have a computed rate and are up-to-date with all of your payments. (I am). To get a lower rate, you must make an extra payment called a 'voluntary payment.' This payment must be received my March 14, 2013. See the voluntary-payment instructions form in this packet."

Most of it's passive. I got too much time dealing with government meddling to expand.

Most of it's passive. I got too much time dealing with government meddling to expand.

Your competitors are dealing with the same "government meddling", aren't they?

But you shouldn't have to pay into UI because your business can't fail, right?

I work for myself and have to pay unemployment insurance. How is this not absurd?

Its absurd however, what can you do. I appreciate all the things my govt, state govt and local govt provide me, I pay in, I also use every tool at my expense.

When I began my first Business in 2003, I was scared shitless man, im liberal as they come and from what I was told liberals dont understand business. Well, that's just pure stupidity now that I have done quite well.

Dude, there are a lot of unfair things in this world, your situation being just one example. You have to pull yourself up and do whats right. If its the law of the land, then do with it.

Have you considered moving to a new state. FL has some awesome programs for people like you. Look into it, be flexible, be patient and mostly, be aggressive and never say never. Dont let the negativity get to you man.

Based on your statement here, you no doubt agree that people who do not avail themselves of their opportunities, and therefore do not have the wealth that others may have earned, also do not have any claim on the wealth of others. After all, "there are a lot of unfair things in this world".

I provide a service...the government makes it hard to do that. I am my only employee. I am not Standard Oil. The old soviet union...you would love it.

You might not be you either, if there were a Standard Oil type business around. You seem to be missing the point. You have to put up with some inconveniences to reap the rewards of a leveler playing field. It's a trade off. Would you rather have a government that sometimes makes things difficult, but can be changed vs. monopolies that can't?

I owned two business before I took my dream job with NASA. Sir, you need to sack up and or pick a new market to look into.

I recently just opened a dog grooming shop and next door im renting a shop that will allow me to do a doggy day care/ boarding. Its been profitable only three months in. I employ 4 people and pay their insurance out of pocket because I care for the people who make money for me and work very hard. I have paid Holidays and up to 10 sick days a year.

IDK what complaining will get you. Not much I rekon.

When I closed my law office I opened a dog grooming shop. I was profitable in two months. But I didn't hire any employees. I had two helpers who were paid by the day, if they showed up, they got paid for the day. If they didn't show up, someone else got paid. Pretty soon I had regulars, those who would reliably show up day after day. I put the money back into the shop, state of the art equipment.

Government and this Democrat bunch right now will do anything and everything
to hinder business.Then if by chance you happen to make a go of it in spite of everything that's done
you get to hear this President knock you for doing it.

Plus you have to wash your hands. What a drag.

Most regulations are mandated by the court. They also protect you, not just people FROM you.

The elites really were successful in dividing the country into the providers and the takers huh? How unfortunate.

Depends who you consider the dividers and the takers.

I think the CEO who pays himself 8 figures and insists I need to take a pay cut to keep the company afloat is a "taker".

Most regulations are mandated by the court. They also protect you, not just people FROM you.

Regulations are not mandated by the court, moron.

The elites really were successful in dividing the country into the providers and the takers huh? How unfortunate.

I think the CEO who pays himself 8 figures and insists I need to take a pay cut to keep the company afloat is a "taker".

Unless he owns the company, the CEO's doesn't decide his own pay. The board of directors decide it, and they are employees of the stock holders. In other words, pay is decided by the owners of the company, so how is that "taking?" If you don't like your pay, go find another company that pays more to your liking.

I owned two business before I took my dream job with NASA. Sir, you need to sack up and or pick a new market to look into.

I recently just opened a dog grooming shop and next door im renting a shop that will allow me to do a doggy day care/ boarding. Its been profitable only three months in. I employ 4 people and pay their insurance out of pocket because I care for the people who make money for me and work very hard. I have paid Holidays and up to 10 sick days a year.

IDK what complaining will get you. Not much I rekon.

When I closed my law office I opened a dog grooming shop. I was profitable in two months. But I didn't hire any employees. I had two helpers who were paid by the day, if they showed up, they got paid for the day. If they didn't show up, someone else got paid. Pretty soon I had regulars, those who would reliably show up day after day. I put the money back into the shop, state of the art equipment.

I'm sorry..........but in what world can a dummy like you ever own a fucking law firm?

Unless he owns the company, the CEO's doesn't decide his own pay. The board of directors decide it, and they are employees of the stock holders. In other words, pay is decided by the owners of the company, so how is that "taking?" If you don't like your pay, go find another company that pays more to your liking.

Right. Because these CEO's don't manipulate the process one little bit...

HELLLLLO...

How about this, we actualy have real regulation and oversight of these companies.

That works a lot better, actually, and it's how the rest of the industrialized world does it.

You might not be you either, if there were a Standard Oil type business around. You seem to be missing the point. You have to put up with some inconveniences to reap the rewards of a leveler playing field. It's a trade off. Would you rather have a government that sometimes makes things difficult, but can be changed vs. monopolies that can't?

The most stifling regulations that keep start ups down in well established sectors are actually written by the big businesses they're supposedly protecting against.

Compliance costs often times price the little guy right out of competition.

Right. Because these CEO's don't manipulate the process one little bit...

HELLLLLO...

You also "manipulate" the process that determines your pay. The fact is that in the end the stock holders determine the CEOs pay. All transactions in a private corporation are purely voluntary. That is, except where compulsory unionism is involved.

How about this, we actualy have real regulation and oversight of these companies.

That works a lot better, actually, and it's how the rest of the industrialized world does it.

Whatever "real regulation" is supposed to mean. How about unions and the government keep their noses out of issues that are none of their business? If what they do in Europe works so much better, then why do they suffer from chronic high unemployment and a lower standard of living?

Forum List

Back