Star Trek' villain Michael Ansara dies at 91

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
Also played the Evil Blue Genie on I Dream Of Jeannie....which was one of my favorite episodes of that show. Very sad.

Michael Ansara, the rugged character actor who played Klingon commander Kang on three different "Star Trek" TV series, has died. He was 91.

Ansara, who was married to actress Barbara Eden of "I Dream of Jeannie" fame, died July 31 at his home in Calabasas, Calif., after a prolonged illness, his former publicist, Michael B. Druxman, said.

Born in a small village in Syria to American parents, Ansara starred as Native American characters on two 1950s primetime series: ABC's Western "Broken Arrow" (as Cochise) and NBC's "Law of the Plainsman" (as Deputy U.S. Marshal Sam Buckhart, another Apache).

Ansara is beloved by "Star Trek" fans as one of only seven actors to play the same character — in his case legendary Klingon warrior Kang — on three versions of the sci-fi series: the original (in the 1968 episode "Day of the Dove"), "Deep Space Nine" (1994's "Blood Oath") and "Voyager" (1996's "Flashback").

'Star Trek' villain Michael Ansara dies at 91 - TODAY.com

He also played Marshal Sam Buckhart on The Rifleman

michael_ansara-raid.jpg

He was also Cane on Buck Rogers.

Never knew that he was married to Barbra Edan.

I didn't remember this it's, been so long... so I looked it up and sure enough.

Then I saw this photo and it kinda freaked me out. Looks exactly like my brother. Creepy. :lol:

Last edited:
Yes I remember him on Buck Rogers because the entire series was recently available On Demand. Sorry to say that it didn't age too well in spite of many notable guest stars.

I also think the original Battlestar Galactica series (also available On Demand) unfairly gets compared to Buck Rogers.

Yes I remember him on Buck Rogers because the entire series was recently available On Demand. Sorry to say that it didn't age too well in spite of many notable guest stars.

I also think the original Battlestar Galactica series (also available On Demand) unfairly gets compared to Buck Rogers.

I wouldn't compare Battle Star Galactica to Buck Rogers either. The shows were very different from what I remember. Do you mean the sets and special effects being dated? Or the story lines/ writing being similar?

I haven't seen either in years.

I wouldn't compare Battle Star Galactica to Buck Rogers either. The shows were very different from what I remember. Do you mean the sets and special effects being dated? Or the story lines/ writing being similar?

I haven't seen either in years.

I thought the special effects for both series was state of the art. I prefer models and matt paintings over CGI.

The costumes on Buck Rogers and the storylines didn't age too well and comes off as campy by today's standards.

Battlestar Galactica (the original series) was unfairly slammed big time by the mainstream liberal media because the Quorom of twelve and President Adar was obviously based on Jimmy Carter and his administration during the Iran crisis and Adama's faith in christianity in contrast to the Scify channel's re-imagined series which was one Bush bashing episode after another and was praised by the liberal critics.

Also, the original series was a lot less political compared to the re-imagined series.

Last edited:
I never had a favorite Star Trek villain, but I did have a few favorite kind of bad guys....That kid that was oppies's bro that was testing Kirk, and the persona of the guardian of forever. Then there was the episode with the old guy guarding the Itavacron, the libraian, were Spock and McCoy were lost in. The epiode with Joan Collins as social worker from the 30's.My favorite line of all time is uttered by McCoy in this episode: Hey you, what planet is THIS?

Last edited:
[

I thought the special effects for both series was state of the art. I prefer models and matt paintings over CGI.

The costumes on Buck Rogers and the storylines didn't age too well and comes off as campy by today's standards.

Battlestar Galactica (the original series) was unfairly slammed big time by the mainstream liberal media because the Quorom of twelve and President Adar was obviously based on Jimmy Carter and his administration during the Iran crisis and Adama's faith in christianity in contrast to the Scify channel's re-imagined series which was one Bush bashing episode after another and was praised by the liberal critics.
Also, the original series was a lot less political compared to the re-imagined series.

Actually, the whole setup from the Quorom of the Twelve was taken directly from Mormonism.

Glen Larsen (or as he is known in Hollywood, Glenn Larceny) in addition to being a hack, no talent writer, is also a Mormon. in fact, a lot of things in the original BSG had subtle Mormon messages woven into them.

Of course that's just one of MANY reasons it was an awful show. Another was that they only had about 10 FX shots that they kept recycling every episode. Now to be fair, every SF Series does this sort of thing, but BSG took it to the worst example.

Glen A Larson was responsible for some of the best shows from my childhood. The Virginian,It Takes a Thief, Quincy ME, Alias Smith And Jones (love), Bj And The Bear, McCloud (which I saw taping at Universal Studios once), Magnum PI, Rip Tide, The Fall Guy, The Hardy Boys Etc...

Glen A Larson is da bomb :)

Actually, the whole setup from the Quorom of the Twelve was taken directly from Mormonism.

Maybe the setup was Mormonism but their Governing was based on Carter.
Glen Larsen (or as he is known in Hollywood, Glenn Larceny) in addition to being a hack, no talent writer,

His track record seems to disagree with your claim. I'm saying that he's great or anything. I too curse the man that unleashed David Hasselhof upon us..

is also a Mormon

So???

in fact, a lot of things in the original BSG had subtle Mormon messages woven into them.

I admit to know little to nothing about Mormonism. So why do you hate Mormons so much?

Of course that's just one of MANY reasons it was an awful show. Another was that they only had about 10 FX shots that they kept recycling every episode. Now to be fair, every SF Series does this sort of thing, but BSG took it to the worst example.

My guess is you're a fan of the re-imagined series and like ALL FANS of the re-imagined series, you like to tear down the original.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back