Star Trek Beyond: Sulu Is Gay. Takei Isn't Pleased...

aaronleland

Diamond Member
May 19, 2012
George Takei Reacts to Gay Sulu News: "I Think It's Really Unfortunate"

Except Takei wasn't overjoyed. He had never asked for Sulu to be gay. In fact, he'd much prefer that he stay straight. "I’m delighted that there’s a gay character," he tells The Hollywood Reporter. "Unfortunately, it’s a twisting of Gene’s creation, to which he put in so much thought. I think it’s really unfortunate."

Takei explains that Roddenberry was exhaustive in conceiving his Star Trek characters. (The name Sulu, for example, was based on the Sulu Sea off the coast of the Philippines, so as to render his Asian nationality indeterminate.) And Roddenberry had always envisioned Sulu as heterosexual.

He even had talks with Sulu actor John Cho about it, but nobody would budge. I personally think Roddenberry and Takei should be the authorities on Sulu's background even if it is a reboot.

Except Takei wasn't overjoyed. He had never asked for Sulu to be gay. In fact, he'd much prefer that he stay straight. "I’m delighted that there’s a gay character," he tells The Hollywood Reporter. "Unfortunately, it’s a twisting of Gene’s creation, to which he put in so much thought. I think it’s really unfortunate."

Takei explains that Roddenberry was exhaustive in conceiving his Star Trek characters. (The name Sulu, for example, was based on the Sulu Sea off the coast of the Philippines, so as to render his Asian nationality indeterminate.) And Roddenberry had always envisioned Sulu as heterosexual.

He even had talks with Sulu actor John Cho about it, but nobody would budge. I personally think Roddenberry and Takei should be the authorities on Sulu's background even if it is a reboot.

Well the guy that plays Chekhov is dead, so what are you going to do?

'Star Trek's' Chekov killed in freak accident

I hear that in the next film they're replacing him with a woman, and revealing he is transgender.

That was a joke, Novasteve. Control your erection.

I hear that in the next film they're replacing him with a woman, and revealing he is transgender.

That was a joke, Novasteve. Control your erection.

And always the basement dweller should stay in the basement ok delta force?

Takei has my respect for this.

Ohhh myyy!

Douche bag, did you consider that some people might not have wanted the spoiler?

Takei is a racist...

Forum List

Back