Tolerance and Bigotry: What happens when the shoe is on the other foot?

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
I'm a huge fan of George Takei, and I follow him on Facebook, Takei makes no bones about the fact that he's flaming gay and has a husband/partner named Brad. Hikaru Sulu was and is still one of my favorite characters in the original Star Trek (aside from Spock, Kirk and Chekov). But sometimes he can be quite provocative and downright hostile to people who express dissenting views of homosexuality (namely Memories Pizza), and as a result, I must sometimes roll my eyes and scroll past some of his inflammatory discussion topics (most of the time he is absolutely brilliant with puns and therefore a constant source of hilarity), but one of his topics tonight in particular compelled me to write this thread, of which can be seen here.

It's funny though, there is this far reaching cry in America for religious tolerance of homosexuality, or otherwise face inevitable demise for their intransigence. I hear how the religious (mainly the Christian religion) should have to change their values and precepts in order to be more inclusive to homosexuals, yet what I see in today's far left social liberal are words of hate and bigotry towards Christians and people of faith. In other words, the same hatred, intolerance, and bigotry that those same people claim come from those of faith.

One wonders, how does it feel for them to become the very thing they're fighting against? Doesn't tolerance work both ways? It stands to reason that if you want tolerance, you must give it in same while taking care not to be what you condemn; as Friedrich Nietzsche put it, "fight not with monsters, lest you become a monster, for if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

If you fight so much and so hard, and with too much zealousness against a perceived evil (in this case, intolerance and bigotry), you risk becoming the same evil you were fighting against in the first place (intolerant and bigoted). This is what the LGBT activists and hordes of pro gay rights liberals have done and are doing. Preaching against intolerance and bigotry whilst being intolerant and bigoted.

Am I saying there aren't bigots? Not at all, there are. There are bigots all over the place! Am I saying that all gay people are this way? Heck no. In fact, I've seen a few examples of gay people standing up for people of faith. Am I am saying that all pro gay rights liberals are this way? Well, I'd be lying if I said no.

But this is ludicrous. The only target of this outrage in America thus far is Christianity. Not one Muslim has been sued or called out by the LGBT community for discriminating or contending that homosexuality is a sin against Allah. Nope. Just Christianity. As far as I can tell, and from what I've read, Muslims treat homosexuals a hundred times, no, a million times more harshly than any Christian today would. Christians think homosexuality is a sin that can be forgiven by God. Muslims think homosexuality is unforgivable, and is a sin punishable by death. But why just Christianity?

I also note the lack of concern some self proclaimed gay rights activists hold for homosexual people in the Middle East. When other gay people around the world are subject to the same, if not worse treatment that they condemn Christians for committing against gays in America, the silence is quite damning. To fight for gay rights in my mind, is to fight for the rights of gay individuals everywhere on Earth, not just here in America. Those who do only focus on gays here in America should realize their advocacy rings hollow. The focus is myopic.

Christianity is often condemned for its behavior during The Crusades, for forcing the conversion of unwitting Muslims and rightly so, though we have grown out of exercising such forms of barbarity; but now, I see a crusade of a different sort. And it's being waged by the extreme fringe of the LGBT crowd this time around. "Make your religion accept us, or be damned!" Their vanguard, consisting of the far left and left wage the war of identity against the opposition, hurling words like "intolerant" and "bigoted" like fire and pitch across the sociopolitical battlefield, landing squarely where it doesn't belong.

Eh... perhaps the OP is too long? Or am I simply being the fat jobless twinkie eating man that I am by even bringing it up? :p

I myself dozed off about a third of the way through. ;)
But then, that's not unusual, as you can tell from my posting. :oops:

I don't follow your problem with the page you linked though. All he says in a couple of sentences is that religion (whatever that may mean) must adapt to changing culture or face dwindling support. But that's always been true.

I will say this for the OP though:
Until tonight I did not know what Sulu's first name was.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of George Takei, and I follow him on Facebook, Takei makes no bones about the fact that he's flaming gay and has a husband/partner named Brad. Hikaru Sulu was and is still one of my favorite characters in the original Star Trek (aside from Spock, Kirk and Chekov). But sometimes he can be quite provocative and downright hostile to people who express dissenting views of homosexuality (namely Memories Pizza), and as a result, I must sometimes roll my eyes and scroll past some of his inflammatory discussion topics (most of the time he is absolutely brilliant with puns and therefore a constant source of hilarity), but one of his topics tonight in particular compelled me to write this thread, of which can be seen here.

It's funny though, there is this far reaching cry in America for religious tolerance of homosexuality, or otherwise face inevitable demise for their intransigence. I hear how the religious (mainly the Christian religion) should have to change their values and precepts in order to be more inclusive to homosexuals, yet what I see in today's far left social liberal are words of hate and bigotry towards Christians and people of faith. In other words, the same hatred, intolerance, and bigotry that those same people claim come from those of faith.

One wonders, how does it feel for them to become the very thing they're fighting against? Doesn't tolerance work both ways? It stands to reason that if you want tolerance, you must give it in same while taking care not to be what you condemn; as Friedrich Nietzsche put it, "fight not with monsters, lest you become a monster, for if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

If you fight so much and so hard, and with too much zealousness against a perceived evil (in this case, intolerance and bigotry), you risk becoming the same evil you were fighting against in the first place (intolerant and bigoted). This is what the LGBT activists and hordes of pro gay rights liberals have done and are doing. Preaching against intolerance and bigotry whilst being intolerant and bigoted.

Am I saying there aren't bigots? Not at all, there are. There are bigots all over the place! Am I saying that all gay people are this way? Heck no. In fact, I've seen a few examples of gay people standing up for people of faith. Am I am saying that all pro gay rights liberals are this way? Well, I'd be lying if I said no.

But this is ludicrous. The only target of this outrage in America thus far is Christianity. Not one Muslim has been sued or called out by the LGBT community for discriminating or contending that homosexuality is a sin against Allah. Nope. Just Christianity. As far as I can tell, and from what I've read, Muslims treat homosexuals a hundred times, no, a million times more harshly than any Christian today would. Christians think homosexuality is a sin that can be forgiven by God. Muslims think homosexuality is unforgivable, and is a sin punishable by death. But why just Christianity?

I also note the lack of concern some self proclaimed gay rights activists hold for homosexual people in the Middle East. When other gay people around the world are subject to the same, if not worse treatment that they condemn Christians for committing against gays in America, the silence is quite damning. To fight for gay rights in my mind, is to fight for the rights of gay individuals everywhere on Earth, not just here in America. Those who do only focus on gays here in America should realize their advocacy rings hollow. The focus is myopic.

Christianity is often condemned for its behavior during The Crusades, for forcing the conversion of unwitting Muslims and rightly so, though we have grown out of exercising such forms of barbarity; but now, I see a crusade of a different sort. And it's being waged by the extreme fringe of the LGBT crowd this time around. "Make your religion accept us, or be damned!" Their vanguard, consisting of the far left and left wage the war of identity against the opposition, hurling words like "intolerant" and "bigoted" like fire and pitch across the sociopolitical battlefield, landing squarely where it doesn't belong.
Tolerance stops at intolerance. Now you know.

And the Christians didn't just force Jews, Muslims, and others to convert, they expelled them or killed them if they didn't.

I totally understand where you are coming from, and I have been subject to attacks for making comments about welfare reform on a friend's Facebook page who happens to be very liberal. The level of hatred from both political extremes is mind boggling sometimes.

Eh... perhaps the OP is too long? Or am I simply being the fat jobless twinkie eating man that I am by even bringing it up? :p

I don't follow your problem with the page you linked though. All he says in a couple of sentences is that religion (whatever that may mean) must adapt to changing culture or face dwindling support. But that's always been true.

Yeah, now you know, that on top of being a fat, jobless, twinkie eating man, I am a geek, too.

And for the record, it's not what he himself posted, it had to do with the responses. However, Islam consists of nearly 1.3 billion followers. It in no way accepts homosexuality, and it is on pace to eclipse Christianity as the predominant religion in the world. So the whole thing of "adapt or die" is quite wrong.

Perhaps you should practice what you preach.
I do. As long as you keep your bigotry limited to speech and not actions, unless it's in a private sphere (clubs, churches, homes, etc.) have at it.

You can have the No ******* Club, but not the No ******* Bakery. That is where tolerance ends.

How can someone who has proven that he does not understand tolerance start a thread on it?

Yeah, now you know, that on top of being a fat, jobless, twinkie eating man, I am a geek, too.

And for the record, it's not what he himself posted, it had to do with the responses. However, Islam consists of nearly 1.3 billion followers. It in no way accepts homosexuality, and it is on pace to eclipse Christianity as the predominant religion in the world. So the whole thing of "adapt or die" is quite wrong.

Well that's the second part of your post, and it's fraught with problems, mainly having to do with the broad-brush attributing cultural aspects of a limited geo-region to an unlimited planet. The other problem being your decrying "not one" (which is entirely unrealistic) speaking out against areas, countries and cultures we have no influence over anyway.

How can someone who has proven that he does not understand tolerance start a thread on it?

What have I "proven" exactly?

And why can't you address the topic instead of me? Right off the bat, ad hominem.

And how can one who teaches tolerance, but expresses intolerance, lecture others on tolerance?

Physician heal thyself.

Last edited:

And the Christians didn't just force Jews, Muslims, and others to convert, they expelled them or killed them if they didn't.

>>Spanish Inquisition
Main article: Spanish inquisition
After the end of the Islamic control of Spain, Muslims and Jews were expelled from Spain in 1492 and from Portugal in 1497.[7] After the Reconquista, so called "New Christians" were those inhabitants (Sephardic Jews or Mudéjar Muslims) during the Middle Ages and the Early Modern Era who were baptized under coercion and in the face of murder, becoming forced converts from Islam (Moriscos, Conversos and secret Moors) and forced converts from Judaism (Conversos, Crypto-Jews and Marranos). Then the Spanish Inquisition targeted primarily forced converts from Judaism who came under suspicion of either continuing to adhere to their old religion or of having fallen back into it. Jewish conversos still resided in Spain and often hiddenly (cryptically) practiced Judaism and were suspected by the "Old Christians" of being Crypto-Jews. The Spanish Inquisition generated much wealth and income for the church and individual inquisitors by confiscating the property of the persecutees or selling them into slavery. The end of the Al-Andalus and the expulsion of the Sephardic Jews from the Iberian Peninsula went hand in hand with the increase of Spanish-Portugal influence in the world, as exemplified in the Christian conquest of the Americas and their aboriginal Indian population. The Ottoman Empire, the Netherlands, and the New World absorbed much of the Jewish refugees.[8]<<

Forced conversion - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

And why can't you address the topic instead of me? Right off the bat, ad hominem.

And how can one who teaches tolerance, but expresses intolerance, lecture others on tolerance?

Physician heal thyself.

By the way, I pretty much made myself clear a couple months ago how I felt about gay rights. Perhaps you should read this, Nukes, before calling me intolerant:

A Political and Moral dilemma solved Homosexuality US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Physician heal thyself.
You have proven that you do not understand tolerance, whereas I have never been intolerant to your right of opinion.

I follow george on twitter. Sometimes he goes off on a rant but most of the time he just fucks off and has a good time.

Physician heal thyself.
You have proven that you do not understand tolerance, whereas I have never been intolerant to your right of opinion.

And what makes you think you understand tolerance? Please humor me.

TK ought to contact George with this theory. He's presented it here dozens of times and has yet to get anyone to buy in.

I'd like to see the examples of hatred and bigotry toward Christians that TK speaks of.

The idea that Christians aren't bigoted toward gay people because Muslims are more bigoted toward gay people is silly....isn't it, TK?

George would put you in your place, TK. He'd do it gently.......and you'd probably leave the discussion thinking you taught him something, though.

if you do not like others perception of you as a basement dwelling slug...then change it....you have been offered help many times...resumes etc..and done what.....nothing but fucking whined like the little bitch you are...amazing that you have the chutzpah to claim to be a conservative and to be critical of others for the same things you do....

1. being a worthless unemployed leech
2. see 1
3. stop claiming that you are helping your grandmother when you are on the net more often than not
4. stop being a fucking leech
5. but most of all stop complaining when people call you on being what you are

Physician heal thyself.

And what makes you think you understand tolerance? Please humor me.

Notice how Nukes ducked the question and ran. That clearly demonstrates how he/she uses the same intolerance to combat the intolerance he/she accuses others of having. Beautiful!

Forum List

Back