Spin city!

What makes you think that?

Because you missed the point they were making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which was? Please elaborate.

It is laughable to say that 23% of America identifying as liberal means "it's cool to be liberal again" ... especially since more people identify as Republican than do as liberal and I'm fairly sure I've heard people on the left mock 25% and call it a low number.

Whoever wrote that headline is grasping at straws.

But maybe if they say it's cool, people will feel cool and that self-confidence will radiate and more people will want to be liberal.

"identify as Republican than do as liberal"

Like I said.
If you read the article you would know they didn't compare republicans to liberals.

It is laughable to say that 23% of America identifying as liberal means "it's cool to be liberal again" ... especially since more people identify as Republican than do as liberal and I'm fairly sure I've heard people on the left mock 25% and call it a low number.

But maybe if they say it's cool, people will feel cool and that self-confidence will radiate and more people will want to be liberal.

Like I said.
If you read the article you would know they didn't compare republicans to liberals.

The article provided stats about liberals, moderates and conservatives.

AquaAthena provided additional stats about Republicans, Democrats and independents.

That gave me the data for my comparison.

lol

It's cool to be a liberal again | MSNBC

Look at the title of the article. The number of people who call themselves liberal has risen to 23% ... which is still way lower than those who call themselves conservative and lower than those who call themselves moderate. How is it cool to be in the group hardly anyone wants to be in? Guess what folks, if you have to hype it like that it's not cool. :cool:

Guess what -- when you've got demagogues all over the media morphing words into definitions they never had, you're not going to find a whole lot of people applying the label to themselves. As if applying a label to oneself makes any sense in the first place.

Not rocket surgery...

Like I said.

"Republican" and "liberal" are not opposites. Nor is either one an opposite to "moderate". Just sayin'.

Last edited:

Like I said.

"Republican" and "liberal" are not opposites. Nor is either one an opposite to "moderate". Just sayin'.

The point was the choice of the word "cool" to describe a low stat.

How does 23% willing to call themselves liberal make being liberal "cool again" while 25% willing to call themselves Republican is a laughable stat showing how out of favor Republicans are?

The number of Americans who self-identify as “liberal” has hit a high not seen for at least two decades, according to a new poll.

A Gallup poll released Friday found that 23% of Americans describe themselves as liberal. That’s still way fewer than call themselves conservative or moderate—38 and 34% respectively. But it’s the highest level since Gallup began asking in 1992.

Democrat and Republican are not mentioned. but 23% liberal and 38% conservative....Why do we have such a liberal Senate?

Like I said.

The point was the choice of the word "cool" to describe a low stat.

How does 23% willing to call themselves liberal make being liberal "cool again" while 25% willing to call themselves Republican is a laughable stat showing how out of favor Republicans are?

I confess I didn't read the link (yet). I'm aiming at a more basic level, the fallacious premise of assigning any labels in the first place, let alone labels that don't even mean what they're implied to mean. IOW before we even get to what this or that number means, these are already false comparisons. So in effect none of them mean anything.

lol

It's cool to be a liberal again | MSNBC

Look at the title of the article. The number of people who call themselves liberal has risen to 23% ... which is still way lower than those who call themselves conservative and lower than those who call themselves moderate. How is it cool to be in the group hardly anyone wants to be in? Guess what folks, if you have to hype it like that it's not cool. :cool:

Lots of people call themselves conservative who aren't really conservatives, at least not by the standards the conservatives around here set.

Forum List

Back