Speaking of speaking...

It's more important in Europe for students to learn foreign languages since there are dozens on their doorstep, less important in the US where there is basically one and few travel extensively internationally.

I think it's good for them to learn another language, but shouldn't be required. What good does ONE foreign language do you? So you learn french, what good does that do you when you go to Spain, Germany, Japan, China or Russia?

You could make an argument that Americans should learn some Spanish

But even most Hispanic immigrants speak some english and second generation immigrants all speak english

I would call it advisable to learn spanish since it can be used throughout N, C and S America which is where 80% of Americans live, travel and vacation. I took 3 years of spanish, used to speak it pretty good but as they say, use it or lose it. I can still get by but it is struggle now. The first thing to go is the verbs and various conjugations.

Other languages may be advisable if the student is considering a career where it is needed. I know for a fact that some students take japanese, chinese and arabic because they believe it will be an advantage in the future. There was a time when some took Russian, but I think that horse may have left the barn.

I'm in the same boat with HS Spanish. Haven't had much chance to use it in the last 40 years and most is forgotten

English speakers in other countries have constant opportunites to use it

i was in Japan earlier this year and can tell you few speak it. 10 days there and I only found three people who did and they only wanted to converse with me to practice.

Many, many more people than those you referenced can speak some degree of English. Unwilling to try to speak with you is another matter.

You could make an argument that Americans should learn some Spanish

But even most Hispanic immigrants speak some english and second generation immigrants all speak english

I would call it advisable to learn spanish since it can be used throughout N, C and S America which is where 80% of Americans live, travel and vacation. I took 3 years of spanish, used to speak it pretty good but as they say, use it or lose it. I can still get by but it is struggle now. The first thing to go is the verbs and various conjugations.

Other languages may be advisable if the student is considering a career where it is needed. I know for a fact that some students take japanese, chinese and arabic because they believe it will be an advantage in the future. There was a time when some took Russian, but I think that horse may have left the barn.

I'm in the same boat with HS Spanish. Haven't had much chance to use it in the last 40 years and most is forgotten

English speakers in other countries have constant opportunites to use it

In 1982 the Mexicans started invading OKC, I had Spanish in HS but failed miserably, and I had to learn to use Mexican( Mexicans refuse to acknowledge it as Spanish) to be able to move from being a mason labor to becoming a brick layer. A couple of the fellows spoke some English, but ,we learned each others language through use of the eyes and hands.

Learning another language is essential to getting dates while in the country where you speak their language.

Last edited:
There are few experiences in life that make me feel as inadequate as when I'm in a room with a conversation going on in a foreign language, and I'm the only one who doesn't know what is being said.

But having said that, I have had that experience in Spanish, German, Italian, French, and Russian. So even if I had taken the trouble to learn "a foreign language," I still would have been out of luck 80% of the time.

Learning a foreign language is beneficial for more reasons than just being able to communicate in that language (I've studied Spanish, German, and Italian, but didn't get far enough to be functional). It forces you to understand grammar better, and to understand that some concepts are unique to a language, and can't be communicated adequately in any other language.

For example, the expression, "Did you truly EARN your pay?" cannot be translated into most languages. It is a nuance - being entitled to your pay because you provided value - that is only commonly expressed in English.

But for practical and functional purposes, it only makes sense to study Spanish.

There are few experiences in life that make me feel as inadequate as when I'm in a room with a conversation going on in a foreign language, and I'm the only one who doesn't know what is being said.

Why would that make you feel "inadequate"? :confused:

Every student should be proficient in ancient Hebrew and Swahili. OK, perhaps not.

However, there are two subjects that should be taught in every school:

The first one is is speed reading. This is one of the most fundamental courses of all. Speed readers can easily achieve reading speeds ten or more times faster than average. That means that with respect to printed information they can learn ten times more, not 10 percent more but ten times more, than others. Can you imagine where our country would be if most students knew 10 times more than they do now?

The other requirement would be a course in logic, either formal logic or a course which required the application of logic such as plane geometry.

Teaching multiple languages is a good thing, but it doesn't help that much if a student's capacity for learning is restricted by his/her low reading speeds or his/her thinking process lacks logic.

The fact that many schools do not teach such courses is indefensible and even laughable.

Last edited:
Every student should be proficient in ancient Hebrew and Swahili. OK, perhaps not.

The first one is is speed reading. This is one of the most fundamental courses of all. Speed readers can easily achieve reading speeds ten or more times faster than average. That means that with respects to printed information they can learn ten times more, not 10 percent more but ten times more, than others. Can you imagine where our country would be if most students knew 10 times more than they do now?

The other requirement would be a course in logic, either formal logic or a course which required the application of logic such as plane geometry...

Maybe you should take a course in logic and then reconsider your 'brilliant' speed reading idea.

:rolleyes:

Mandarin.....:thup:

Useful, but...you'd be hard pressed to find a native speaker of Mandarin under the age of 50 who isn't or hasn't studied English for many years. If almost all Mandarin speakers are learning English, should English speakers bother to learn Mandarin (especially considering our poor track record of teaching languages in this country)?

The first one is is speed reading. This is one of the most fundamental courses of all. Speed readers can easily achieve reading speeds ten or more times faster than average. That means that with respects to printed information they can learn ten times more, not 10 percent more but ten times more, than others. Can you imagine where our country would be if most students knew 10 times more than they do now?

The other requirement would be a course in logic, either formal logic or a course which required the application of logic such as plane geometry...

Maybe you should take a course in logic and then reconsider your 'brilliant' speed reading idea.

I have taken courses in logic and speed reading. I am fully aware of the benefits of each. But if you cannot see the advantage of either, there is nothing for my to say.

In public school, I took a course in plane geometry. In college (I have an MBA and JD) I also took courses on logic. I took a non-college course in speed reading which increased my reading speed to 3,000 word per minute, not a record, but not too shabby either (actually it is slightly above average for speed readers).

OK, I am done with you and this thread.

I have taken courses in logic and speed reading. I am fully aware of the benefits of each. But if you cannot see the advantage of either, there is nothing for my to say.

In public school, I took a course in plane geometry. In college (I have an MBA and JD) I also took courses on logic. I took a non-college course in speed reading which increased my reading speed to 3,000 word per minute, not a record, but not too shabby either .

Wow, so the answer to improving education is to require courses that just happen to be exactly the ones you once took? What a coincidence. :rolleyes:

If you had actually learned something in that logic course you'd see what's wrong with your 'brilliant' idea. But, I guess you also took a speed retreating course...

In public school, I took a course in plane geometry. In college (I have an MBA and JD) I also took courses on logic. I took a non-college course in speed reading which increased my reading speed to 3,000 word per minute, not a record, but not too shabby either .

Wow, so the answer to improving education is to require courses that just happen to be exactly the ones you once took? What a coincidence. :rolleyes:

If you had actually learned something in that logic course you'd see what's wrong with your 'brilliant' idea. But, I guess you also took a speed retreating course...

I said I was done with you and this thread, but apparently you didn't understand. Would you care to meet me in the bull ring?

I said I was done with you and this thread, but apparently you didn't understand. Would you care to meet me in the bull ring?

Have you figured out yet why speed reading isn't the great secret to improving education?

Have you figured out yet why speed reading isn't the great secret to improving education?

Gone again. So speedy!

Forum List

Back