Speaker John Boehner has never sponsored an earmark in his congressional career !

I have a question, do you consider the Alternate engine to the F-35 an earmark?

Pence is hardly the only Republican lawmaker to support the wasteful extra engine, despite bloviating about government spending on a nearly daily basis. For example, 32 members of the Republican Study Committee (RSC) — a group of ultra-conservative House members — signed a “no earmarks” pledge, but 17 of that 32 voted to fund the extra engine anyway. Beyond Pence, who is the third-ranking Republican in the House, supporters of the extra engine include such fiscal conservative leaders as Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH), Minority Whip Eric Cantor (R-VA), and RSC Chairman Tom Price (R-GA) — almost the entire Republican leadership.
Alex Seitz Wald, Center for American Progress, July 31, 2010

F135 Engine Third Party Comments on the JSF Alternate Engine Program Competition

While it's true that when it comes to earmarks the new speaker has a very good reputation and I for one applaud him for that. However, when it comes to spending needlessly, no one is has been a saint in Washington D.C. not even the new speaker himself.

No matter how many engines are procured for the airplane, the Navy will only deploy one type of engine for the F-35 we take to sea…We have done that for all of our aircraft, and so whether it is the F135 or the Secretary of Defense decides to buy a second engine, the Navy is only going to deploy with one type. That optimizes our logistics and supply chain.
Rear Admiral Michael Manazir, Head of Naval Aviation Programs, Defense News, May 28, 2010

Thats a small example of the type of spending that Washington is engaged in, and it's not something that is owned exclusivly by one side or the other and until such time as they decide to spend money in a wise manner, then regardless of earmarks the slide into bankruptcy will continue.

I have a question, do you consider the Alternate engine to the F-35 an earmark?

Pence is hardly the only Republican lawmaker to support the wasteful extra engine, despite bloviating about government spending on a nearly daily basis. For example, 32 members of the Republican Study Committee (RSC) — a group of ultra-conservative House members — signed a “no earmarks” pledge, but 17 of that 32 voted to fund the extra engine anyway. Beyond Pence, who is the third-ranking Republican in the House, supporters of the extra engine include such fiscal conservative leaders as Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH), Minority Whip Eric Cantor (R-VA), and RSC Chairman Tom Price (R-GA) — almost the entire Republican leadership.
Alex Seitz Wald, Center for American Progress, July 31, 2010

F135 Engine Third Party Comments on the JSF Alternate Engine Program Competition

While it's true that when it comes to earmarks the new speaker has a very good reputation and I for one applaud him for that. However, when it comes to spending needlessly, no one is has been a saint in Washington D.C. not even the new speaker himself.

No matter how many engines are procured for the airplane, the Navy will only deploy one type of engine for the F-35 we take to sea…We have done that for all of our aircraft, and so whether it is the F135 or the Secretary of Defense decides to buy a second engine, the Navy is only going to deploy with one type. That optimizes our logistics and supply chain.
Rear Admiral Michael Manazir, Head of Naval Aviation Programs, Defense News, May 28, 2010

Thats a small example of the type of spending that Washington is engaged in, and it's not something that is owned exclusivly by one side or the other and until such time as they decide to spend money in a wise manner, then regardless of earmarks the slide into bankruptcy will continue.

I'm not sure it is pork...

But it is Boehner bringing home the bacon

umm it is an earmark whether declared or not if the engine or components are made in your state.

So every vote by Washington representatives on defense spending is an earmark because Boeing, a major contractor, is located there?
Are you nuts?

But he handed out checks to tobacco lobbyists, or some such thing...so what does that make him? A liar? A hypocrite? :doubt:

Do you EVER tire of looking like an ass?

The top earmarkers in both the House and Senate are Republicans, even after the GOP has spent much of the past year making fiscal restraint and runaway government spending the centerpiece of its political message.

Rep. Bill Young (R-Fla.) and Sen. Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) — both atop defense spending panels — led their respective bodies in securing earmarks, according to an analysis by the nonprofit Taxpayers for Common Sense.

Republicans lead earmark list - Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com

that was a rhetorical question, right?

Boehner is going to have a hard time getting his own house behind a no earmark pledge, and even then, the senate gop is another matter.

I hope at least he can get the house gop behind it. If they are serious about governing, this would be a great good will first step. While earmarks are in some cases worthy the public is turned off by the abuse which occurs.

My concern isn't earmarks however, its who he appoints to the committee chairs.

John Boehner's links to lobbyists could be the chink in his political armour | World news | The Observer

John Boehner, who is set to be the new Republican speaker of the House of Representatives, is one of the most lobby-friendly politicians in Washington, located at the centre of a web of corporate cash and influence.

Boehner makes no secret of his lobbyist links. He once organised a regular meeting of politicians and lobbyists called the Thursday Group – now disbanded – at which both sides discussed a shared agenda of reducing taxes and regulations on business. His close circle of lobbyist allies consists of some of the best known names in Washington power-broking circles. One important figure is Bruce Gates, the top individual donor during Boehner's career giving more than $70,000 to his campaigns. Gates's wife, Joyce, spent two years as Boehner's chief of staff and Gates himself has served as treasurer for one of Boehner's fund-raising vehicles, the Freedom Project. He has a long list of big business clients including steel companies and is now in charge of government relations for the huge tobacco firm Altria, the parent group of Philip Morris.

But the scale and closeness of Boehner's links has raised many eyebrows. Critics point to an infamous incident in 1995 when Boehner handed out cheques from the tobacco industry to politicians on the floor of Congress. He later apologised.

John Boehner is looking out for the tobacco companies, not the American people.

John Boehner's links to lobbyists could be the chink in his political armour | World news | The Observer

John Boehner, who is set to be the new Republican speaker of the House of Representatives, is one of the most lobby-friendly politicians in Washington, located at the centre of a web of corporate cash and influence.
Boehner makes no secret of his lobbyist links. He once organised a regular meeting of politicians and lobbyists called the Thursday Group – now disbanded – at which both sides discussed a shared agenda of reducing taxes and regulations on business. His close circle of lobbyist allies consists of some of the best known names in Washington power-broking circles. One important figure is Bruce Gates, the top individual donor during Boehner's career giving more than $70,000 to his campaigns. Gates's wife, Joyce, spent two years as Boehner's chief of staff and Gates himself has served as treasurer for one of Boehner's fund-raising vehicles, the Freedom Project. He has a long list of big business clients including steel companies and is now in charge of government relations for the huge tobacco firm Altria, the parent group of Philip Morris.
But the scale and closeness of Boehner's links has raised many eyebrows. Critics point to an infamous incident in 1995 when Boehner handed out cheques from the tobacco industry to politicians on the floor of Congress. He later apologised.
:lol: Did he apologize because he got caught?

What an ass you are.
There isn't a rep or senator out there who does not have "links" to lobbyists. Every single jack one of them. And I for one am glad.

What an ass you are.
There isn't a rep or senator out there who does not have "links" to lobbyists. Every single jack one of them. And I for one am glad.

They all have links to the tobacco lobby? While being in the pocket of any lobbyist is wrong, being in the pocket of those who target kids with products that kill them is a whole different kind of wrong.

What an ass you are.

They all have links to the tobacco lobby? While being in the pocket of any lobbyist is wrong, being in the pocket of those who target kids with products that kill them is whole different kind of wrong.

Like car makers?

What an ass you are.

They all have links to the tobacco lobby? While being in the pocket of any lobbyist is wrong, being in the pocket of those who target kids with products that kill them is whole different kind of wrong.

yes, I agree. however, yes however, we could fill a single space atlas shrugged sized tome with the names of politicos from both sides of the aisle how lived on or took tobacco money, I just thinks is lame to beat on him for that, if we don't beat on others. Hes the leader or appears to be set to take the post, so I guess the spotlight is warranted, but really its all a tempest in a teapot, no pun intended.

Last time he was up for reelection his opponent could have made that case...now? Its cherry picking I think.

Like car makers?

:lol: Because we all know the car industry is pushing their product towards kids, right? Because we all know once a kid gets into a car, he's addicted to driving one, right?

An adult making the choice to smoke or drive a car is one thing. A industry that relies on hooking kids to their product that will eventually kill them one day while they're young is another. It brings sleeze to a whole new level.

yes, I agree. however, yes however, we could fill a single space atlas shrugged sized tome with the names of politicos from both sides of the aisle how lived on or took tobacco money, I just thinks is lame to beat on him for that, if we don't beat on others. Hes the leader or appears to be set to take the post, so I guess the spotlight is warranted, but really its all a tempest in a teapot, no pun intended.

Last time he was up for reelection his opponent could have made that case...now? Its cherry picking I think.

To be fair, I'm only beating Boehner specifically for it in this thread because this thread is about John. Any member of Congress, no matter what party that is in the pocket of the tobacco lobby is in the same place as Boehner.

Like car makers?

:lol: Because we all know the car industry is pushing their product towards kids, right? Because we all know once a kid gets into a car, he's addicted to driving one, right?

An adult making the choice to smoke or drive a car is one thing. A industry that relies on hooking kids to their product that will eventually kill them one day while they're young is another. It brings sleeze to a whole new level.

More kids are killed by cars than by cigarettes. Fact.

To be fair, I'm only beating Boehner specifically for it in this thread because this thread is about John. Any member of Congress, no matter what party that is in the pocket of the tobacco lobby is in the same place as Boehner.

No, you're doing that because you are an immature ignorant little hack with way too much time on his hands.
Tobacco is an important industry that employs millions of people and pays hundreds of millions of dollars in taxes. They produce a legal product that people are free to use or not use as they see fit. Demonizing it is merely fashionable for the young and stupid. Like you.

Forum List

Back