Spare a thought

I read an article and don't understand this phrase: "spare a thought".
What does it mean? my guess is "think about" but I'm not sure. Could somebody tell me?
Thanks.

Another idea is one I recently discovered. Visit a VA hospital and if you are a Computer Programmer/Computer Tech, think about donating your services to help the Paralized Vets.

Build them computers, program the computers with assistive programs so they can reach out to the world and communicate.

After my visit, I came home convinced I have been living in la-la land never realizing so many needed our help, and began right away building, programming and providing free computers to the very deserving disabled. Good used computers can be purchased off eBay and other auction sites if you don't want to build one. There are also a lot of free assistive programs to download from the internet.

Many of the Paralized Vets can't even use a telephone. I installed voice control and MagicJacks and saw smiles all over the place for those guys! If they had to buy an assistive phone, they run between $600 and $1200 for those phones, which few to nobody can afford. A computer can be programmed to handle everything those people need for cheap to free. If they have no voice, the computer can be programmed to provide a computerized voice for them with just a joystick and keystrokes -- or a blow pipe.

They can watch tv on their computers, control the channels, volume -- everything. I can't think of any communication, or non-medical interaction they need that the computer can't be programmed to do for them, even turning off their lights and checking that all their doors are locked at night. As well, entertainment and physical therapy are both computer related assistive technologies now.

So much can be done to help. How about the guy who once loved to bowl, or the guy who once loved to fish and now they are sitting in wheelchairs or stuck in bed not able to do anything, and along you come one day with a Wii or a computer, and suddenly they are bowling and fishing with the Wii, and talking to their friends and loved ones with free long distance via that MagicJack you hooked into a voice activated computer for them. And, Physical Therapists are seeing miracles in their once resistive patients.

Just think about it. Step up to the plate if you can do so.

I should have also added that a camera can be installed on those computers for the disabled so eye movements will control the computers. I've provided this as well and it was outstanding. One of the Universities has the program download and it's completely free of charge.

Mattel has also developed a game that is played by simply thinking. You think about moving the object and it moves. It works on brain waves. There are several of those types of games out there now.

I think, Zulu, that most people don't realize the Vets need their help. I know (and I'm ashamed to say) I never had a clue of the needs until our loved one was in the VA Hospital Spinal Care Unit. He is a quadriplegic now, and the Spinal Care Unit is full of Patients with every caliber and type of catastrophic injury who really do need Civilians to step up to the plate and give some assistance.

The care our loved one received in the Spinal Unit was superior. There is no question about that whatsoever. However, as I saw how those Patients became isolated from family, friends and the world simply because they could not communicate, I began thinking of things I could do to help and immediately began researching computer Assistive programs. I also put the word out to all the organizations I belong to that this was a serious need, and those wonderful folks jumped right in and stepped up to the plate as well. In just a short few months we are already seeing computer operating systems and programs for the Disabled. And they are completely free of charge.

As I personally walked this walk, I kept coming across great needs that weren't being addressed. Each Disabled person, I learned, has specific needs that have to be addressed. It certainly kept me busy!

It does no good if there are Assistive technologies out there if the Patients can't access them because they are too expensive. They have to be free across the board.

I remember thinking "how am I going to do all this?". My purse is small as well, just from keeping my own family going yet I could not ignore the idea that I could somehow help those people. It began with old computers that weren't working that were given to me or purchased from thrift stores that were rebuilt or parted out, and surfing eBay for things like cameras and finally good cheap computers. Six months down the road now, civilians who have suffered disabling health issues are also provided those computers.

Computer geeks LOVE a good challenge that gets their juices going. So many of those wonderful folks are stepping up to the plate now. It's heartwarming. And the vast majority of us are really really into "free". Now there are even job sites cropping up for the Disabled to work at home on their computers if they so choose to do so. A good idea goes a long, long way.

And it's not just computers those folks need. I'm very sure that no matter what your skill and trade is, or where your heart leads you, you can be of great free assistance for those very deserving Vets and disabled Civilians.

They've given us much. It's time to recognize and do more than just say "thanks". We OWE them much.

Forum List

Back