Spain

Swagger -

While that does sound a step up from 'Amores Perros', it still seems cruel and unecessary to me.

Ditto fox hunting, cock fighting and forcing bears to dance. I can't take enjoyment from watching the suffering of an animal.

Swagger -

While that does sound a step up from 'Amores Perros', it still seems cruel and unecessary to me.

Ditto fox hunting, cock fighting and forcing bears to dance. I can't take enjoyment from watching the suffering of an animal.

Genital mutilation seems "cruel and unnecessary" to me. So does mutilating petty criminals. But who am I to lecture on the moral compass of a culture besides my own?

Swagger -

Because cruelty can not be justified by culture alone.

Female Gential Mutiliation is an act of torture - it is as simple as that. The fact that it has been accepted practice in Somalia and Ethiopia for hundreds of years before Islam does nothing to make it something Somali's should accept today, and certainly not something we in the West should condone.

To me this is the same question as paedophilia - consenting adults can do what they like (be it S&M, wearing niqab, dangling weights from fish hooks stuck in their chest, or bondage) but the line of what we should or should not accept is passed when such practices are forced on those who do not or can not consent.

Children can not consent, and neither can animals.

Last edited:
sights_madrid_486206.jpg

:clap2:

That's place rocked.

Swagger -

Genital mutilation seems "cruel and unnecessary" to me. So does mutilating petty criminals. But who am I to lecture on the moral compass of a culture besides my own?

I'm not positive the experience will be "enjoyable."

I suppose instead of a Bullfight I could fly to Thailand and have a couple of oiled girls give me a full body rub.

Or I could simply stay at home and have a bowl of ice cream.

The point is to experience variety.

I categorize Man vs. Animal differently than Animal vs. Animal or Man vs. Man. However slight the probability, the idea of a man being killed fighting an animal is more visceral a contest: one that has been going on forever, and one that Man often lost after falling out of his tree, and still occasionally loses.

In Mid June. arriving on Thursday, 10 AM Madrid Intl Airport NE of the city.

The Main attraction, of course will be the Bullfight. I have tickets for Sunday.

Then fly out Wednesday.

So I have Friday, Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday without plans.

What to do?

Here's what I'm considering: Getting a Museum pass and spending Friday in Madrid, Saturday in Toledo, and Monday in Avila and Segovia, then Tuesday tour more in Madrid.

Whatchya think?

My hotel will be in Alcorcon, a suburb in SW Madrid

I think it sounds great.

A couple of years ago I did 3 weeks in Spain, just me and my backpack. Started in Barcelona, went to Basque country, Segovia, Madrid, Cordoba, Granada, Malaga and along the coast. I love Spain.

I would never go to a bullfight. Bullfights are not a big deal to everyone who is Spanish: that's a fallacy and a stereotype. In every culture there are things one won't like or agree with. If you are going to be a world traveler, you have to expect you are going to disagree with some things that are a part of different cultures. Or else, just stay home and sit in your own backyard.

One thing to know. If you are traveling around Spain, using public transport: trains are expensive, buses are cheap. Use the buses. I traveled around Spain for 2 weeks. The first time I took the train, then I learned that the buses were so much cheaper, and the rest of the time I took the bus. Went from Barcelona to Basque Country, then made my way through the middle of Spain down to the south and spent some time in Granada and that area. On another 2 week trip, I was staying near Malaga, and there is a nice train system in that area that goes up and down the coast.

I would never go to a bullfight. Bullfights are not a big deal to everyone who is Spanish: that's a fallacy and a stereotype. In every culture there are things one won't like or agree with. If you are going to be a world traveler, you have to expect you are going to disagree with some things that are a part of different cultures. Or else, just stay home and sit in your own backyard.

I'd go further - bullfights these days are a tired old cliche that most Spaniards find a little embarassing. As with most cultures, the postcards are not the daily reality.

Modern Spain is much more about football than bulls!

I'd go further - bullfights these days are a tired old cliche that most Spaniards find a little embarassing. As with most cultures, the postcards are not the daily reality.

I moved my accomodations to a hotel that is across the street from the football stadium. Much closer to Madrid attractions. I'll still be going to a bullfight one afternoon, and have secured the best of seats.

There is something that is causing me to have second thoughts about the trip.

THERE IS A TAX OF OVER $500.00 on the RT Air from Newark to Madrid! WTF?

I moved my accomodations to a hotel that is across the street from the football stadium. Much closer to Madrid attractions. I'll still be going to a bullfight one afternoon, and have secured the best of seats.

That seems very excessive. Can you fly out of a different airport, with a lower tax?

That seems very excessive. Can you fly out of a different airport, with a lower tax?

Haven't checked. Canceling the trip will cost $850 RT (Newark/Madrid) but save about $550.00 (international surcharge), if that is refundable.

Last edited:
I took more than 10 pictures, but thought USMB would appreciate these the most.

I included those taken in Paris and Lisbon before I was in Madrid.

Terrific Trip. If I had it to do again, I might have stayed in Lisbon longer.

Bullfight was a one time deal: Seen one, and really do not care to see another. The highlight was that a Matador got tossed in the air, twirling end-over-end. The horn must have caught his pants, which were ripped from knee to waist. The crowd awarded him both ears.

Had a lovely tour in Spain with Erickson Cycle Tours June 19 to July 5. The modest Picos de Europa mountains in Cantabria and Asturias and specially all the places in Spain is much comfortable and reliable for the tourist...

Had a lovely tour in Spain with Erickson Cycle Tours June 19 to July 5. The modest Picos de Europa mountains in Cantabria and Asturias and specially all the places in Spain is much comfortable and reliable for the tourist...

I especially like Puente Viesgo. Very lush (Irish?) compared to area around Madrid. It is no wonder Celts settled nearby.

Forum List

Back