Spain

Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
In Mid June. arriving on Thursday, 10 AM Madrid Intl Airport NE of the city.

The Main attraction, of course will be the Bullfight. I have tickets for Sunday.

Then fly out Wednesday.

So I have Friday, Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday without plans.

What to do?

Here's what I'm considering: Getting a Museum pass and spending Friday in Madrid, Saturday in Toledo, and Monday in Avila and Segovia, then Tuesday tour more in Madrid.

Whatchya think?

My hotel will be in Alcorcon, a suburb in SW Madrid

segovia-excursion.jpg

The Main attraction, of course will be the Bullfight. I have tickets for Sunday.

Then fly out Wednesday.

What to do?

Here's what I'm considering: Getting a Museum pass and spending Friday in Madrid, Saturday in Toledo, and Monday in Avila and Segovia, then Tuesday tour more in Madrid.

Whatchya think?

I liked Madrid so much more than Barcelona! I think your plan is a good one. The towns you are going to are close enough to make them all day trips and they are easily accessible by train if that is how you plan on traveling as opposed to a car. Train and car are both very easy in Spain.

Madrid a a grand city and the architecture is beautiful. My spanish is pretty crappy but I had to rely on it much more than in Barcelona where everyone speaks English. I think that is why I liked Madrid more overall; it just seemed to be more authentic Spain in my humble opinion. Try to go not only to the Museo Nacional del Prado, which is stunning, but also go to the palace.

I'm wondering why your hotel is in Alcorcon though and not in Centro? Is there easy public transit to get you into the city? I looked on the map and it seems a little far out of town.

Then fly out Wednesday.

What to do?

Whatchya think?

I liked Madrid so much more than Barcelona! I think your plan is a good one. The towns you are going to are close enough to make them all day trips and they are easily accessible by train if that is how you plan on traveling as opposed to a car. Train and car are both very easy in Spain.

Madrid a a grand city and the architecture is beautiful. My spanish is pretty crappy but I had to rely on it much more than in Barcelona where everyone speaks English. I think that is why I liked Madrid more overall; it just seemed to be more authentic Spain in my humble opinion. Try to go not only to the Museo Nacional del Prado, which is stunning, but also go to the palace.

I'm wondering why your hotel is in Alcorcon though and not in Centro? Is there easy public transit to get you into the city? I looked on the map and it seems a little far out of town.

1. Hotel is free
2. 300 m from Central Station
3. El Cento Hotels are expensive

I plan to use as much rail as possible, but may take taxi return to airport as I must traverse the city from SW to NE.

Then fly out Wednesday.

What to do?

Whatchya think?

1. Hotel is free
2. 300 m from Central Station
3. El Cento Hotels are expensive

I plan to use as much rail as possible, but may take taxi return to airport as I must traverse the city from SW to NE.
Lol you can't argue with free!

Like everywhere in Europe, rail is easy in Spain.

That taxi ride to the airport may get expensive but I've found over the years, sometimes it's worth paying the "hassle-fee". Schlepping luggage on public transit is grueling.

Madrid is wonderful, and well worth a couple of days just to wander around.

The Prado is a must, but I also recommend the Thyssen-Bonmeister gallery, which is 5 mins walk away. Even if you are not a huge fan, this is one of the best galleries in the world. A wonderful collection of quite modern stuff.

http://www.museothyssen.org/en/thyssen/exposiciones_historico

The architecture is wonderful, so I always enjoy just wandering the city.

The main thing, as always, is not to pack TOO much into a few days. It's nice to have time to just wander about the shops in the centre of town.

It's nice to try and use a bit of Spanish, but the level of English in Madrid is very high, so you won't have many problems.

Last edited:

The Prado is a must, but I also recommend the Thyssen-Bonmeister gallery, which is 5 mins walk away. Even if you are not a huge fan, this is one of the best galleries in the world. A wonderful collection of quite modern stuff.

El Museo de arte Thyssen-Bornemisza - (Paseo del Prado, 8, Madrid-España)

The main thing, as always, is not to pack TOO much into a few days. It's nice to have time to just wander about the shops in the centre of town.

It's nice to try and use a bit of Spanish, but the level of English in Madrid is very high, so you won't have many problems.

Yes I agree. I've always enjoyed spontaneous adventure opposed to planning out every hour of the day.

I unsually target ONE (1) thing for the entire vacation, and justify wandering around for days around this event.

In this case, it will be the Bullfight on Sunday, which is the goal of the entire trip.

Everything else will be extra. I also like hoofing it: Walking Tours. Cannot stand being in a fucking bus with a bunch of tourists...:eusa_hand:

particularly Americans, all of which seem to be relatives of The Jersey Shore cast, and none of which can ever shut the fuck up about when they are going to eat their next Big Mac.

El Museo de arte Thyssen-Bornemisza - (Paseo del Prado, 8, Madrid-España)

Yes I agree. I've always enjoyed spontaneous adventure opposed to planning out every hour of the day.

I unsually target ONE (1) thing for the entire vacation, and justify wandering around for days around this event.

In this case, it will be the Bullfight on Sunday, which is the goal of the entire trip.

Everything else will be extra. I also like hoofing it: Walking Tours. Cannot stand being in a fucking bus with a bunch of tourists...:eusa_hand:

particularly Americans, all of which seem to be relatives of The Jersey Shore cast, and none of which can ever shut the fuck up about when they are going to eat their next Big Mac.

What is your nationality?

Whatever you do in Spain ....do not go to a bullfight, just too sad and horrible :(

Whatever you do in Spain ....do not go to a bullfight, just too sad and horrible :(

If they have the better matadors fighting, it can be a truly amazing event.

Not for the bull.

If the matador gets killed by the bull, for a change, yes, he deserves it .... that'd be an amazing event in my opinion!:mad:

Bullfights are horrific and inhumane! they have been already banned in Barcelona! good for them...hope other cities in Spain and the world will follow their example. :clap2:

Not for the bull.

If the matador gets killed by the bull, for a change, yes, he deserves it .... that'd be an amazing event in my opinion!:mad:

Bullfights are horrific and inhumane! they have been already banned in Barcelona! good for them...hope other cities in Spain and the world will follow their example. :clap2:

But you'd like to watch human beings get killed? You're not doing a lot for your argument.

The matador dance is stunning. Years ago I wanted to see a bull fight. I had tickets and was headed to stadium...but I couldn't do it. I stopped the taxi and gave the tickets to the driver.

Not for the bull.

But you'd like to watch human beings get killed? You're not doing a lot for your argument.

It's NOT the bull who has decided to killed the matador!

KILLING ANIMALS FOR SPORT OR ENTERTAINMENT IS NOT FUN. IT'S BARBARIC!

Not for the bull.

It's NOT the bull who has decided to killed the matador!

KILLING ANIMALS FOR SPORT OR ENTERTAINMENT IS NOT FUN. IT'S BARBARIC!

But taking pleasure in watching a human being get killed isn't? Are these standards common on your home planet?

Forum List

Back