Sowing discord among families

Czernobog

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2014
Corner of Chaos and Reason
After the recent report that non-religious parents are quite capable of raising 3ethical, well-adjusted families, I found this particular story interesting:

Bus driver told boy that his lesbian moms would go to hell

According to this report, Encarnacion claims that the driver, identified as Violeta Jacobo, told her seven-year-old son that his two mothers would go to hell for their same-sex relationship.

Encarnacion said:

He mentioned [to the bus driver] he was hoping his two moms wouldn’t be upset that he was home so late. She said ‘whoa God doesn’t like that’, then she went on and on to tell him how he wouldn’t make it into heaven and there is a such thing as hell.

She claims the bus driver even sent him home with a Jehovah’s Witnesses card, and told him to have his parents watch a video link printed on the card.

Later that night, he explained why we should not be together anymore. He is absolutely questioning this now, something we have so smoothly transitioned into and never had any issues with.

She added in this report:

I am extremely devastated. My home life and everything is being affected by this. My son is rebelling against our relationship and it’s just putting everything into question. It’s really upsetting … This has put hate in his heart.

So, here we have a family that was working perfectly well, and is now suffering, not because of any action of the parents, but because of unnecessary interference from someone outside of the family.

I'm sure there are going to be Progressives that want to talk about "separation of church and state", and all of that, but to me, that is not even the issue. I would be just as angry if this were a public bus. This is about privacy. This family has a right to live their lives as they see fit, without some public servant sticking their meddling noses in, causing conflict where none existed. And according to the report, it doesn't even look like there is go0ing to be any disciplinary action taken, other than they had a little chat with the bus driver. Ooo...I'm sure she feels properly chastised, now...

After the recent report that non-religious parents are quite capable of raising 3ethical, well-adjusted families, I found this particular story interesting:

According to this report, Encarnacion claims that the driver, identified as Violeta Jacobo, told her seven-year-old son that his two mothers would go to hell for their same-sex relationship.

Encarnacion said:

He mentioned [to the bus driver] he was hoping his two moms wouldn’t be upset that he was home so late. She said ‘whoa God doesn’t like that’, then she went on and on to tell him how he wouldn’t make it into heaven and there is a such thing as hell.

She claims the bus driver even sent him home with a Jehovah’s Witnesses card, and told him to have his parents watch a video link printed on the card.

Later that night, he explained why we should not be together anymore. He is absolutely questioning this now, something we have so smoothly transitioned into and never had any issues with.

I am extremely devastated. My home life and everything is being affected by this. My son is rebelling against our relationship and it’s just putting everything into question. It’s really upsetting … This has put hate in his heart.

So, here we have a family that was working perfectly well, and is now suffering, not because of any action of the parents, but because of unnecessary interference from someone outside of the family.

I'm sure there are going to be Progressives that want to talk about "separation of church and state", and all of that, but to me, that is not even the issue. I would be just as angry if this were a public bus. This is about privacy. This family has a right to live their lives as they see fit, without some public servant sticking their meddling noses in, causing conflict where none existed. And according to the report, it doesn't even look like there is go0ing to be any disciplinary action taken, other than they had a little chat with the bus driver. Ooo...I'm sure she feels properly chastised, now...
As a psychiatrist, what would your counsel be? As an atheist, what would your counsel be?

Encarnacion said:

As a psychiatrist, what would your counsel be? As an atheist, what would your counsel be?
Actually, I wouldn't take this case as a psychiatrist; not my field. Child psychology is particularly tricky. As an atheist, I rather thought I had made my position clear. This family was doing just fine, until this bus driver decided to interfere. She should have been forced to take some time off while going through some retraining about what is, and is not appropriate conversation to be having with children on the bus.

Encarnacion said:

my my you're trying to advance more open mindedness and yet your response is just as close minded as the bus driver.

Encarnacion said:

Actually, I wouldn't take this case as a psychiatrist; not my field. Child psychology is particularly tricky. As an atheist, I rather thought I had made my position clear. This family was doing just fine, until this bus driver decided to interfere. She should have been forced to take some time off while going through some retraining about what is, and is not appropriate conversation to be having with children on the bus.
So you are saying you are no more qualified than I am on this particular case? Surely you could educate us on the finer points.

Encarnacion said:

my my you're trying to advance more open mindedness and yet your response is just as close minded as the bus driver.
So, it is close-minded to suggest that complete strangers should not impose their moral positions on the children of others? I love how you moralists use this tactic. "If you are open-minded", then you have to let us say whatever we want to your kids, whenever we want. Nope. That's not how that works. You do not get to impose your positions on my kids. I'm my kid's parent, not you.

Encarnacion said:

So you are saying you are no more qualified than I am on this particular case? Surely you could educate us on the finer points.
That wasn't what I was asked. I was asked what my counsel would be. My counsel would be to find a good child psychologist to help the family. I am not a child psychologist. It is not my responsibility to educate you on the "finer points" of psychology. You have already made it clear that you believe nothing I say anyway, so why would you care what I think the "finer points" are? Now, hush. Grown ups are speaking here.

Encarnacion said:

So, it is close-minded to suggest that complete strangers should not impose their moral positions on the children of others? I love how you moralists use this tactic. "If you are open-minded", then you have to let us say whatever we want to your kids, whenever we want. Nope. That's not how that works. You do not get to impose your positions on my kids. I'm my kid's parent, not you.

Did you also take a strong stance when transgender/gender neutral ect... was aimed at elementary school age kids? Probably not.
I don't think it was appropriate to tell a 7 yr old that, or not in that manner. Probably was a scary thing for a kid to hear from practically a stranger. On the other hand..., what kid goes through school age years without hearing negative things about themselves, or their family? close to none.
I doubt it totally upset their family structure. If it DID...I doubt they were ever very stable to begin with....:dunno:

Encarnacion said:

Did you also take a strong stance when transgender/gender neutral ect... was aimed at elementary school age kids? Probably not.
I don't think it was appropriate to tell a 7 yr old that, or not in that manner. Probably was a scary thing for a kid to hear from practically a stranger. On the other hand..., what kid goes through school age years without hearing negative things about themselves, or their family? close to none.
I doubt it totally upset their family structure. If it DID...I doubt they were ever very stable to begin with....:dunno:
Um...what do you mean? Did I take as strong a stance against the "You can't pee in here" laws? Why, yes. yes I did. And I still do. It absolutely pisses me off that someone else wants to tell my daughter whether she is a girl, or not.

Why is the family suffering? Why are they unable to counter the bus driver?

I'm sorry. Since you were, apparently, unable to read it the first time, let me help:

He is absolutely questioning this now, something we have so smoothly transitioned into and never had any issues with. My home life and everything is being affected by this. My son is rebelling against our relationship and it’s just putting everything into question.

Did that make it easier to read? And, here's the thing. Even should this turn out to be, as I rather suspect it will, a temporary disruption, the point is that it was an unnecessary disruption. The bus driver never should have spoken as she did, in the first place.

Encarnacion said:

Um...what do you mean? Did I take as strong a stance against the "You can't pee in here" laws? Why, yes. yes I did. And I still do. It absolutely pisses me off that someone else wants to tell my daughter whether she is a girl, or not.

I was wondering if you felt as strong about all information young kids have thrust at them lately.
Mainly to young kids being taught all about transgenders before they have even reached puberty. At that age teaching tolerance of those who are different is probably enough,. at least in my opinion.

Encarnacion said:

I was wondering if you felt as strong about all information young kids have thrust at them lately.
Mainly to young kids being taught all about transgenders before they have even reached puberty. At that age teaching tolerance of those who are different is probably enough,. at least in my opinion.
Well, I would submit that it was not the intent, nor the goal, of the transgender community to put such detailed information about the transgender community front and centre with young people. They were just going to the fucking bathroom, after all. If you want to be upset that "all that information" is being "put out there", perhaps you should be annoyed with the conservatives who thought they needed to make such a federal case out of what was under the dresses of the little girls going into the little girls' rooms.

Encarnacion said:

Good use of the hopover.
Change the conversation to something you feel more comfortable with.

Encarnacion said:

Good use of the hopover.
Change the conversation to something you feel more comfortable with.
What, precisely, did I "hop over"?

Encarnacion said:

What if your daughter decided to become a Christian?

Well, I would submit that it was not the intent, nor the goal, of the transgender community to put such detailed information about the transgender community front and centre with young people. They were just going to the fucking bathroom, after all. If you want to be upset that "all that information" is being "put out there", perhaps you should be annoyed with the conservatives who thought they needed to make such a federal case out of what was under the dresses of the little girls going into the little girls' rooms.

My point was young kids are exposed to a lot of information.
The parents of little girls should know whose using a public bathroom with them. That shouldn't need any explanation.

I'm sorry. Since you were, apparently, unable to read it the first time, let me help:

He is absolutely questioning this now, something we have so smoothly transitioned into and never had any issues with. My home life and everything is being affected by this. My son is rebelling against our relationship and it’s just putting everything into question.

Did that make it easier to read? And, here's the thing. Even should this turn out to be, as I rather suspect it will, a temporary disruption, the point is that it was an unnecessary disruption. The bus driver never should have spoken as she did, in the first place.

I was able to read, but thank you. My question stands. Why were they not able to counter the bus driver and answer their son's questions? Why does this rebellion in a seven-year-old trouble them?

Forum List

Back