Southwest Pilot a "Hero"?

Southwest pilot, a former Navy fighter pilot, praised for her 'nerves of steel' during emergency

A mini-controversy has erupted over whether this bus driver is to be referred to as a "pilot" or a "woman pilot" or a "hero" or a "combat veteran feminist hero icon."

First: Was this any Big Deal, from the standpoint of a commercial pilot flying a plane in distress? They do simulations like this regularly in training, so actually flying the twin-engine plane with one engine is something that every commercial pilot is trained to do. But very few pilots have ever had to fly a twin-engine commercial jet with one engine blown away. Was this a great bit of flying, or something that any competent, experienced commercial pilot should be expected to do, when called upon to do it? I don't know.

Second: She is being lauded for "not losing her cool." Really? She is a commercial pilot and a 50-year-old adult. Would the normal result have been to have the pilot running up and down the aisle's screaming, "The plane is going to CRASH!"? She didn't lose her cool. So what?

Third: She is being lauded as a "hero." I don't think so. A "hero" is someone who voluntarily places herself at risk, for the benefit of others. This was not voluntary, and she was flying the plane to save HERSELF, as well as everyone else on the plane. I don't think that is very heroic; just self-preservation.

The comparisons with "Sully" Sullivan landing his plane in a river are unavoidable, but I think, on balance, Sully's flying feat deserves a little more credit. Nobody trains to land a plane on water, safely, without loss of life.

In summary: No big deal.
How does it harm you that people think she did a magnificent job?
same reason you can't accept the fact that it was't ''spectacular''/etc
we don't want the truth to be known??
so just ''imagine'' things?
it waters down true heroes

Southwest pilot, a former Navy fighter pilot, praised for her 'nerves of steel' during emergency

A mini-controversy has erupted over whether this bus driver is to be referred to as a "pilot" or a "woman pilot" or a "hero" or a "combat veteran feminist hero icon."

First: Was this any Big Deal, from the standpoint of a commercial pilot flying a plane in distress? They do simulations like this regularly in training, so actually flying the twin-engine plane with one engine is something that every commercial pilot is trained to do. But very few pilots have ever had to fly a twin-engine commercial jet with one engine blown away. Was this a great bit of flying, or something that any competent, experienced commercial pilot should be expected to do, when called upon to do it? I don't know.

Second: She is being lauded for "not losing her cool." Really? She is a commercial pilot and a 50-year-old adult. Would the normal result have been to have the pilot running up and down the aisle's screaming, "The plane is going to CRASH!"? She didn't lose her cool. So what?

Third: She is being lauded as a "hero." I don't think so. A "hero" is someone who voluntarily places herself at risk, for the benefit of others. This was not voluntary, and she was flying the plane to save HERSELF, as well as everyone else on the plane. I don't think that is very heroic; just self-preservation.

The comparisons with "Sully" Sullivan landing his plane in a river are unavoidable, but I think, on balance, Sully's flying feat deserves a little more credit. Nobody trains to land a plane on water, safely, without loss of life.

Nothing is being watered down. Some people think what she did was heroic, so let them. To try and tear it down because you disagree says something about you, doesn't it?

Whether she was a hero or just doing her job, My life and days haven't changed and certainly, My definition of 'heroic' won't because of what she did, or what you say.

She is a "hero" in a world where......

Avicii was "brilliant".
Michelle Obama is "beautiful".
and everything else is "amazing"

:rofl:

Nothing is being watered down. Some people think what she did was heroic, so let them. To try and tear it down because you disagree says something about you, doesn't it?

Whether she was a hero or just doing her job, My life and days haven't changed and certainly, My definition of 'heroic' won't because of what she did, or what you say.
learn the definitions of the words you use then--use the correct words
he·ro·ic
həˈrōik/
adjective
  1. 1.
    having the characteristics of a hero or heroine; very brave.

this wasn't her first flight
typical of humans to think in terms of non-reality/TV/Movies/etc --

humans like to exaggerate stuff all the time...makes their lives more ''exciting''
HERO/BRAVE/death defying/etc

he·ro·ic
həˈrōik/
adjective
  1. 1.
You are wholly unqualified to teach Me anything, let alone word usage. Clear?

Now, learn to comprehend what it is you are reading.

My comments do not pertain to the definition of a word you clearly need to look up to understand.

My reply and comment on this thread is to point out the utter pettiness of these kinds of threads and the people who defend them.

How is that you may wonder? When I ask how is it that this affects you or the OP, I am stating that the what others think about with regard to an incident that does not affect you or anyone not involved means I question how it is that you feel entitled to tell others how to feel.

Given the light that we have people who are actually promoting information and beliefs in this country that do actual harm to liberty and our families, the fact that you feel compelled to quibble over this like five-year-old spoiled children means you cannot be taken seriously.

One last time.

How does this incident with this pilot harm you in any way?

If you cannot answer in the positive, don't bother ansering at all. You've shown yourself to be someone unworthy of attention.

Southwest emergency landing pilot Tammie Jo Shults has 'nerves of steel'

636596506915075668-Shults-1-.jpg

One of the first female pilots in the Navy in the 90's......turned down by the Air Force and the Army.........she refused to give up. She's flown EA6b's, FA/18's.............

Incredible story...................and she did VERY WELL in this incident.................

The more I hear people complain about it..........the more I want to call her a HERO.........

Nothing is served disrespecting what she did............and I question those doing so intentions..............

MA'AM..............

980x.jpg

Zero evidence? You keep saying just an engine failure. It was not. Here, let your hero tell you he was impressed-
Sully Was Impressed by Southwest Pilot’s Emergency Landing
Both Captain Sullenberger, 67, and Captain Shults, 56, are former fighter pilots with many years in commercial aviation. And both were given just moments to respond to an unexpected midair crisis that put more than a hundred lives on the line.

Photo
merlin_137015268_e068ebb5-fbd9-43bb-bbad-7dcd9b0d0036-master180.jpg

Capt. Tammie Jo Shults pictured last year. She was one of the first female fighter pilots in the Navy three decades ago.CreditKevin Garber/MidAmerica Nazarene University, via Associated Press
It’s quite a challenge,” he said. “They would have been very busy all the way down.”

All 155 people on Captain Sullenberger’s plane, US Airways Flight 1549, survived that day, Jan. 15, 2009. One person, Jennifer Riordan, was killed on Flight 1380 on Tuesday, when shrapnel from the explosion burst through a window, causing a depressurization that sucked her partially outside the plane.

The other 148 people on Flight 1380, which was traveling from New York City to Dallas, survived. Captain Sullenberger attributed the plane’s safe arrival at Philadelphia International Airport not just to the skill of Captain Shultz but also to every crew member, including the flight attendants who desperately tried to save Ms. Riordan’s life.

“These kinds of events are life-changing for everybody on the airplane,” Captain Sullenberger said. “They divide one’s life into before and after.”

Pilots use a flight simulator to train for the possibility of midair engine failure, but the number who experience and survive one amounts to “a small club,” he said.
It is possible now to go through an entire airline career and never experience an in-flight engine failure,” he said.

And the kind of cascading crisis faced by Flight 1380 on Tuesday — an engine explosion that exposes the cabin to the open air, causes a decompression and fatally pulls a passenger partially outside the plane — is even more rare and difficult to handle.

“That’s one of the hard things about being a pilot these days when it is so ultra safe,” he said. “How do you remain vigilant enough, how do you have your skills and your own paradigm for how to solve any problem in an airplane even if it is one there is no checklist for?”

Dumba**, it didn’t just lose an engine. Why the persistence to not give them credit? You look petty, unless you, yourself have done such. No one discounts the remarkable flying of those planes you posted. But to not acknowledge they did a superb job in this instance is just, well childish.
The first indication of an engine failure in the cockpit will typically be a yawing motion due to the imbalance of thrust between engines. Whether that occurs on the runway or, more likely, in the air, the response is the same: add as much rudder as is required to slew the nose back to normal flight
Flying an Airliner After an Engine Failure on Takeoff
But engine failures do still happen. As terrifying as they may be for many of the passengers, though, losing one engine on a twin-engined airliner like the Thomson Airways 787 isn't as serious as one might think.
Here's Why You Shouldn't Panic When An Airliner Loses An Engine In Flight
Boeing: No Engine, No Problem
“Landing with one engine inoperative is very similar to a normal landing
Because they are so extremely rare, incidences of engine failure make sensational headlines,
Why an Airplane Can Still Fly With Engine Failure
why are you mad?? emotional?
I post all these links/proof and you post ZERO proof--as happens many times on USMB
please prove it was remarkable
YOU are the Dumbass
I quote again and highlight it as you must have problems with reading:
losing one engine on a twin-engined airliner like the Thomson Airways 787 isn't as SERIOUS as one might think

he·ro·ic
həˈrōik/
adjective
  1. 1.
You are wholly unqualified to teach Me anything, let alone word usage. Clear?

Now, learn to comprehend what it is you are reading.

My comments do not pertain to the definition of a word you clearly need to look up to understand.

My reply and comment on this thread is to point out the utter pettiness of these kinds of threads and the people who defend them.

How is that you may wonder? When I ask how is it that this affects you or the OP, I am stating that the what others think about with regard to an incident that does not affect you or anyone not involved means I question how it is that you feel entitled to tell others how to feel.

Given the light that we have people who are actually promoting information and beliefs in this country that do actual harm to liberty and our families, the fact that you feel compelled to quibble over this like five-year-old spoiled children means you cannot be taken seriously.

One last time.

How does this incident with this pilot harm you in any way?

If you cannot answer in the positive, don't bother ansering at all. You've shown yourself to be someone unworthy of attention.
hahahah--you still provide ZERO proof for anything = your posts are worthless crap

harm me?? please--please tell me how you came up with that!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????--you --again--are imagining things--this is proof of it

Zero evidence? You keep saying just an engine failure. It was not. Here, let your hero tell you it was amazing-

Both Captain Sullenberger, 67, and Captain Shults, 56, are former fighter pilots with many years in commercial aviation. And both were given just moments to respond to an unexpected midair crisis that put more than a hundred lives on the line.

Photo

Capt. Tammie Jo Shults pictured last year. She was one of the first female fighter pilots in the Navy three decades ago.CreditKevin Garber/MidAmerica Nazarene University, via Associated Press
It’s quite a challenge,” he said. “They would have been very busy all the way down.”

All 155 people on Captain Sullenberger’s plane, US Airways Flight 1549, survived that day, Jan. 15, 2009. One person, Jennifer Riordan, was killed on Flight 1380 on Tuesday, when shrapnel from the explosion burst through a window, causing a depressurization that sucked her partially outside the plane.

The other 148 people on Flight 1380, which was traveling from New York City to Dallas, survived. Captain Sullenberger attributed the plane’s safe arrival at Philadelphia International Airport not just to the skill of Captain Shultz but also to every crew member, including the flight attendants who desperately tried to save Ms. Riordan’s life.

“These kinds of events are life-changing for everybody on the airplane,” Captain Sullenberger said. “They divide one’s life into before and after.”

Pilots use a flight simulator to train for the possibility of midair engine failure, but the number who experience and survive one amounts to “a small club,” he said.
It is possible now to go through an entire airline career and never experience an in-flight engine failure,” he said.

And the kind of cascading crisis faced by Flight 1380 on Tuesday — an engine explosion that exposes the cabin to the open air, causes a decompression and fatally pulls a passenger partially outside the plane — is even more rare and difficult to handle.

“That’s one of the hard things about being a pilot these days when it is so ultra safe,” he said. “How do you remain vigilant enough, how do you have your skills and your own paradigm for how to solve any problem in an airplane even if it is one there is no checklist for?”

Dumba**, it didn’t just lose an engine. Why the persistence to not give them credit? You look petty, unless you, yourself have done such. No one discounts the remarkable flying of those planes you posted. But to not acknowledge they did a superb job in this instance is just, well childish.
The first indication of an engine failure in the cockpit will typically be a yawing motion due to the imbalance of thrust between engines. Whether that occurs on the runway or, more likely, in the air, the response is the same: add as much rudder as is required to slew the nose back to normal flight
But engine failures do still happen. As terrifying as they may be for many of the passengers, though, losing one engine on a twin-engined airliner like the Thomson Airways 787 isn't as serious as one might think.
Because they are so extremely rare, incidences of engine failure make sensational headlines,
I post all these links/proof and you post ZERO proof--as happens many times on USMB
YOU are the Dumbass
losing one engine on a twin-engined airliner like the Thomson Airways 787 isn't as SERIOUS as one might think
again, her circumstances are nothing compared to all I have posted = not impressive
she had ALL her controls surfaces/aerodynamics intact
these planes can glide without ANY engines
here is another instance of a plane with more trouble--yet they made it
..Southwest not that impressive
Air Transat Flight 236 experienced a complete power loss over the Atlantic Ocean in 2001. Yes, all passengers and crew survived after the aircraft glided 75 miles to a runway on the Azores islands.
If a typical passenger plane had total failure of all engines mid-flight, is it possible for passengers to survive?

Honey, are you related fe mike? Or is that you twin?

If Sullies word isn’t good enough for you, then nothing will be. Now, if you ever fly and have the same circumstances happen, you best hope you have one of the few pilots that have lived to safely bring the plane down flying it. Or one as astute.

Now, I am truly done with you. You are trolling, and nothing else.
Zero evidence? You keep saying just an engine failure. It was not. Here, let your hero tell you it was amazing-

Photo

YOU are the Dumbass
again, her circumstances are nothing compared to all I have posted = not impressive
Air Transat Flight 236 experienced a complete power loss over the Atlantic Ocean in 2001. Yes, all passengers and crew survived after the aircraft glided 75 miles to a runway on the Azores islands.
If a typical passenger plane had total failure of all engines mid-flight, is it possible for passengers to survive?

Photo

YOU are the Dumbass
That is a matter of opinion.................

I'm impressed..............and refuse to downplay her actions in anyway shape or form................

It's easy from the cheap seats.............

If Sullies word isn’t good enough for you, then nothing will be. Now, if you ever fly and have the same circumstances happen, you best hope you have one of the few pilots that have lived to safely bring the plane down flying it. Or one as astute.

Photo

YOU are the Dumbass
what is ''related fe mike''??!!
yes--I will take you seriously

Related to fe_mike.

Photo

YOU are the Dumbass

Related to fe_mike.

Photo

YOU are the Dumbass
I thought you were done with me?? you must like me ..I understand

Forum List

Back