Southwest Pilot a "Hero"?

Southwest pilot, a former Navy fighter pilot, praised for her 'nerves of steel' during emergency

A mini-controversy has erupted over whether this bus driver is to be referred to as a "pilot" or a "woman pilot" or a "hero" or a "combat veteran feminist hero icon."

First: Was this any Big Deal, from the standpoint of a commercial pilot flying a plane in distress? They do simulations like this regularly in training, so actually flying the twin-engine plane with one engine is something that every commercial pilot is trained to do. But very few pilots have ever had to fly a twin-engine commercial jet with one engine blown away. Was this a great bit of flying, or something that any competent, experienced commercial pilot should be expected to do, when called upon to do it? I don't know.

Second: She is being lauded for "not losing her cool." Really? She is a commercial pilot and a 50-year-old adult. Would the normal result have been to have the pilot running up and down the aisle's screaming, "The plane is going to CRASH!"? She didn't lose her cool. So what?

Third: She is being lauded as a "hero." I don't think so. A "hero" is someone who voluntarily places herself at risk, for the benefit of others. This was not voluntary, and she was flying the plane to save HERSELF, as well as everyone else on the plane. I don't think that is very heroic; just self-preservation.

The comparisons with "Sully" Sullivan landing his plane in a river are unavoidable, but I think, on balance, Sully's flying feat deserves a little more credit. Nobody trains to land a plane on water, safely, without loss of life.

In summary: No big deal.
She did a good job. I don’t know if I would consider it spectacular flying.......just doing what she was trained to do

I was on a flight one time and one engine caught fire due to a bird strike. We flew around for a while and landed with just the one engine.

It never even made the news

She navigated and landed a non-aerodynamic plane (blown engine/hole in fuselage, post depressurization). That is spectacular.

it had all the control surfaces intact--it was aerodynamic
..see post # 20 for spectacular...many pilots brought their archaic airplanes home that were a LOT worse than this one

aer·o·dy·nam·ic
ˌerōˌdīˈnamik/
adjective
  1. relating to aerodynamics.
    "aerodynamic forces"
    • of or having a shape that reduces the drag from air moving past.

this is almost routine for these pilots...they train in flight sims for engines going out

..see post # 20 for spectacular...many pilots brought their archaic airplanes home that were a LOT worse than this one

aer·o·dy·nam·ic
ˌerōˌdīˈnamik/
adjective
    "aerodynamic forces"
A blown engine and a hole in the fuselage causes tremendous drag. Try walking forward and have someone in front of you push against your left shoulder. She received the BEST flight training available, the United States Military.

The first indication of an engine failure in the cockpit will typically be a yawing motion due to the imbalance of thrust between engines. Whether that occurs on the runway or, more likely, in the air, the response is the same: add as much rudder as is required to slew the nose back to normal flight
Flying an Airliner After an Engine Failure on Takeoff
But engine failures do still happen. As terrifying as they may be for many of the passengers, though, losing one engine on a twin-engined airliner like the Thomson Airways 787 isn't as serious as one might think.
Here's Why You Shouldn't Panic When An Airliner Loses An Engine In Flight
Boeing: No Engine, No Problem
“Landing with one engine inoperative is very similar to a normal landing
Because they are so extremely rare, incidences of engine failure make sensational headlines,
Why an Airplane Can Still Fly With Engine Failure

aer·o·dy·nam·ic
ˌerōˌdīˈnamik/
adjective
    "aerodynamic forces"
A blown engine and a hole in the fuselage causes tremendous drag. Try walking forward and have someone in front of you push against your left shoulder. She received the BEST flight training available, the United States Military.
you are comparing walking to FLYING???!!!!!!!?????!!!!!!!!!!

As a private pilot I can comment with some experience.

She did a good job getting the plane back on the ground. That was not heroic. She showed the calm competency one would expect from a commercial pilot with 24 years of experience.

Southwest pilot, a former Navy fighter pilot, praised for her 'nerves of steel' during emergency

A mini-controversy has erupted over whether this bus driver is to be referred to as a "pilot" or a "woman pilot" or a "hero" or a "combat veteran feminist hero icon."

First: Was this any Big Deal, from the standpoint of a commercial pilot flying a plane in distress? They do simulations like this regularly in training, so actually flying the twin-engine plane with one engine is something that every commercial pilot is trained to do. But very few pilots have ever had to fly a twin-engine commercial jet with one engine blown away. Was this a great bit of flying, or something that any competent, experienced commercial pilot should be expected to do, when called upon to do it? I don't know.

Second: She is being lauded for "not losing her cool." Really? She is a commercial pilot and a 50-year-old adult. Would the normal result have been to have the pilot running up and down the aisle's screaming, "The plane is going to CRASH!"? She didn't lose her cool. So what?

Third: She is being lauded as a "hero." I don't think so. A "hero" is someone who voluntarily places herself at risk, for the benefit of others. This was not voluntary, and she was flying the plane to save HERSELF, as well as everyone else on the plane. I don't think that is very heroic; just self-preservation.

The comparisons with "Sully" Sullivan landing his plane in a river are unavoidable, but I think, on balance, Sully's flying feat deserves a little more credit. Nobody trains to land a plane on water, safely, without loss of life.

How does it harm you that people think she did a magnificent job?

Sully deserves a LOT more credit
planes are designed to land with wheels on a runway

Dumba**, it didn’t just lose an engine. Why the persistence to not give them credit? You look petty, unless you, yourself have done such. No one discounts the remarkable flying of those planes you posted. But to not acknowledge they did a superb job in this instance is just, well childish.
The first indication of an engine failure in the cockpit will typically be a yawing motion due to the imbalance of thrust between engines. Whether that occurs on the runway or, more likely, in the air, the response is the same: add as much rudder as is required to slew the nose back to normal flight
But engine failures do still happen. As terrifying as they may be for many of the passengers, though, losing one engine on a twin-engined airliner like the Thomson Airways 787 isn't as serious as one might think.
Because they are so extremely rare, incidences of engine failure make sensational headlines,

Why don't you ask the surviving passengers of that Southwest flight how best to refer to the pilot...

And please, while you're at it, tell us all about your experience piloting commercial airliners...
What does the opinion of sheep have to do with anything? Why don't you ask them and then get back to us.

Dumba**, it didn’t just lose an engine. Why the persistence to not give them credit? You look petty, unless you, yourself have done such. No one discounts the remarkable flying of those planes you posted. But to not acknowledge they did a superb job in this instance is just, well childish.
why are you mad?? emotional?
I post all these links/proof and you post ZERO proof--as happens many times on USMB
please prove it was remarkable
YOU are the Dumbass
I quote again and highlight it as you must have problems with reading:
losing one engine on a twin-engined airliner like the Thomson Airways 787 isn't as SERIOUS as one might think

aer·o·dy·nam·ic
ˌerōˌdīˈnamik/
adjective
    "aerodynamic forces"
The United States NAVY.

She was a HERO to all on that plane..................And she didn't ask to be called a HERO........

Exceptional job Ma'am........................BRAVO ZULU!

I'm not seeing where depressurisation causes major aerodynamic problems
Loss of Cabin Pressurisation - SKYbrary Aviation Safety
The greatest danger of depressurisation is crew incapacitation due to Hypoxia.
Rapid Depressurisation - SKYbrary Aviation Safety
If the cause of the decompression is structural failure, failure of a window for example,
Explosive Depressurisation - SKYbrary Aviation Safety
How Things Work: Cabin Pressure | Flight Today | Air & Space Magazine
What Happens in an Explosive Decompression during Flight?

Forum List

Back