Sources: Obama To Propose Heating Aid Cuts

I have no real issue with funding to Egypt or Israel... those are long term, strategically vital, expenditures.

I'll tell you what I am surprised about. The US has just agreed $100m to fund further security for the UN building. No other country is contributing.... just us. Explain that one to me.

Get the hell out of here with that nonsense CG, we've been funding Egypt and Israel for a long, long time now and what do we have to show for it? Two attacks on the WTC, the second of which brough the towers down and even greater spending on two wars in Iraq and Afghanistan which has accomplished nothing as far as our nation's security, don't be so damn dense. Our aid to those two countries has reaped us nothing in return.

You clearly have no knowledge of military strategy.

It is quite difficult to be proactive when and if necessary if you do not have access to a target WHEN NECESSARY from a close border.

You obviously have no idea as to how valuable the Suez Canal is to our national needs.
Thats OK. You are an ideologue. You are all about what is best for everyone without considering the consequences. An idealist if you will.

Hey...I agree it is a great idea to give everyone a million bucks......but I also recognize the consequences will be so severe it will prove to be detrimental to all of the people.

I am a realist. You are an idealist.

You'd think, since I mentioned that already, he would know that.

Sadly, Egypt won't be our ally unless we bribe them to be so. Israel would be, so there is no need to send them money.

Its really funny, I criticize Obama's proposal to cut heating aid to needy people and this is only damn thread out of hundreds where the far right loons actually support Obama on something, I'm really damn surprised, :rolleyes:

Well I am hardly a far right loon, and have supported Obama on several issues when I agreed with him.

In this case I think we have to cut him some slack. He is faced with a massive Budget Deficit and ballooning Debt that threatens to destroy this nation. A situation he and his party helped make far worse with their reckless spending for the last 2 years. No matter where we cut people will be pissed.

If we continue down the road we are on. We will be faced with our Creditors refusing to lend us money anymore. Then our only choice will be massive economy killing Tax Increases.

Which will simply push us further down the road to ruin.

BAY CITY, Mich. -- Officials in central Michigan say a 93-year-old man who owed more than $1,000 in unpaid electric bills froze to death inside his home -- where the municipal power company had restricted his use of electricity.

Neighbors and friends of Marvin Schur want answers as to how this could happen.

“Now that we do know it was hypothermia, there’s a whole bunch of feelings that I’ve got going through me,” said Jim Herndon, a neighbor of Schur’s. “There’s anger, for the city and the electrical company.”

Bay City officials said changes are on the way in an attempt to not let another instance like this happen again.An autopsy determined Schur, 93, died from hypothermia in the home he lived in for years.

Bay City Electric Light and Power sent Schur a shutoff notice through the mail a few weeks ago.

Then crews placed a shutoff notice on his front door. A few days later, Schur was found by neighbors.

Bay City Electric Light and Power, which is owned by the city, said a limiter was placed on Schur’s electrical line.

The device limits the power that reaches a home, and it blows out like a fuse if power consumption rises past a set level.

The manager of Bay City said the limiter was tripped sometime between the time of installation and the discovery of the man's body.

The city manager said city workers keep the limiter on a house for 10 days, then shut off power entirely if the homeowner hasn't paid utility bills or arranged to do so.

A medical examiner who conducted the autopsy on Schur told TV5 and WNEM.com that Schur died a painful death due to the hypothermia.

Dr. Kanu Varani has done hundreds of autopsies, and he said he’d never seen a person die of hypothermia indoors.

A neighbor who lives across the street from Schur is angered that the city didn’t personally notify the elderly man about his utility situation.

Schur’s neighbor, Herndon, said Schur had a utility bill on his kitchen table with a large amount of money clipped to it, with the intention of paying that bill.

Right now the city said the situation is still under investigation. Marvin Schur was a World War II veteran.

A memorial service for him will take place Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. at the Gephart Funeral Home in Bay City.

Just one. Give me a minute

lol....wow......look at the points I bolded.

It was a snafu.
Medical examoiner NEVER saw someone die of hypothermia indoors.
All he had to do was make payment arrangements...not pay it
He overused....the rtestrictor is for lights and heat...but no TV and enterttainment crap.

You actually supported my point with this.

BAY CITY, Mich. -- Officials in central Michigan say a 93-year-old man who owed more than $1,000 in unpaid electric bills froze to death inside his home -- where the municipal power company had restricted his use of electricity.

“Now that we do know it was hypothermia, there’s a whole bunch of feelings that I’ve got going through me,” said Jim Herndon, a neighbor of Schur’s. “There’s anger, for the city and the electrical company.”

Bay City officials said changes are on the way in an attempt to not let another instance like this happen again.

An autopsy determined Schur, 93, died from hypothermia in the home he lived in for years.

Bay City Electric Light and Power sent Schur a shutoff notice through the mail a few weeks ago.

Then crews placed a shutoff notice on his front door. A few days later, Schur was found by neighbors.

Bay City Electric Light and Power, which is owned by the city, said a limiter was placed on Schur’s electrical line.

The device limits the power that reaches a home, and it blows out like a fuse if power consumption rises past a set level.

The manager of Bay City said the limiter was tripped sometime between the time of installation and the discovery of the man's body.

The city manager said city workers keep the limiter on a house for 10 days, then shut off power entirely if the homeowner hasn't paid utility bills or arranged to do so.

A medical examiner who conducted the autopsy on Schur told TV5 and WNEM.com that Schur died a painful death due to the hypothermia.

Dr. Kanu Varani has done hundreds of autopsies, and he said he’d never seen a person die of hypothermia indoors.

A neighbor who lives across the street from Schur is angered that the city didn’t personally notify the elderly man about his utility situation.

Schur’s neighbor, Herndon, said Schur had a utility bill on his kitchen table with a large amount of money clipped to it, with the intention of paying that bill.

Right now the city said the situation is still under investigation. Marvin Schur was a World War II veteran.

A memorial service for him will take place Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. at the Gephart Funeral Home in Bay City.

Where was his family and nieghbors in his time of need?

I have no real issue with funding to Egypt or Israel... those are long term, strategically vital, expenditures.

I'll tell you what I am surprised about. The US has just agreed $100m to fund further security for the UN building. No other country is contributing.... just us. Explain that one to me.

Get the hell out of here with that nonsense CG, we've been funding Egypt and Israel for a long, long time now and what do we have to show for it? Two attacks on the WTC, the second of which brough the towers down and even greater spending on two wars in Iraq and Afghanistan which has accomplished nothing as far as our nation's security, don't be so damn dense. Our aid to those two countries has reaped us nothing in return.

It is quite difficult to be proactive when and if necessary if you do not have access to a target WHEN NECESSARY from a close border.

You obviously have no idea as to how valuable the Suez Canal is to our national needs.

Thats OK. You are an ideologue. You are all about what is best for everyone without considering the consequences. An idealist if you will.

Hey...I agree it is a great idea to give everyone a million bucks......but I also recognize the consequences will be so severe it will prove to be detrimental to all of the people.

Please point out we're benefiting strategically by giving a total of 5 billion a year to both Egypt and Israel? show evidence of the benefits and how its made things better for us as a country. Come on Mr strategy knower, OHH YEAH! lets see the evidence of this.

Please point out we're benefiting strategically by giving a total of 5 billion a year to both Egypt and Israel? show evidence of the benefits and how its made things better for us as a country. Come on Mr strategy knower, OHH YEAH! lets see the evidence of this.

You are naive.
We give aid, we have right to establish a military presence.
We establish a military presence, we do not have to wait to react or be pro active to things that happen in the region that affect us.
Where would you porefer an ICBM to be destroyed. At launch or on our shores?
Proof is not needed. Just basic logic.

Bay City officials said changes are on the way in an attempt to not let another instance like this happen again.

An autopsy determined Schur, 93, died from hypothermia in the home he lived in for years.

Where was his family and nieghbors in his time of need?

It is an isolated incident which is exactly what the med examiner said...he never saw something like this.

It does not happen.....

Still waiting to see all the little children that die from disease becuase they dont have insurance.

And you know the "fat kids"? Waiting to see where they are dying of starvation.

300 million people in thwe country and despite google, only one instance of a man freezing to death....and THAT is a problem we must discuss.

You are naive.
We establish a military presence, we do not have to wait to react or be pro active to things that happen in the region that affect us.

Basically you have no justification for 5 billion dollars of wasteful spending to Egypt and Israel.

You are naive.

Basically you have no justification for 5 billion dollars of wasteful spending to Egypt and Israel.

How long does it take a ship from say India to get to our coast by going through the Suez?
Add 4-6 weeks to go around Africa.
Add the going around the horn is a vast increase in the chance of sinking
you get increase cost of goods and services.

I don't know how much that is, but it would all get passed onto us, as cost would also increase to export.

You are naive.

I gave you valid justification for securing the tright to a military presence in Egypt qand Israel. If it costs us 5 Billion for such permission...so be it.

My guess is if we did not spend the 5 billion...and an ICBM is sent from Iran toward the US...and our first real crack at it is when it is 100 miles off our shores...and our attmept fails and there is no time for a second attempt...and 3 million die in NYC....THEN you would have said "you know, that 5 billion was a good investment"

But that is how idealists think......do what seems to be best for NOW and not worry about the consequences.

Israel and Egypt aid we should cut, heating home aid, no damn way, I'm not for letting anyone, including my worst enemies, freeze during one of the coldest winters

You aren't letting them freeze. They are letting themselves freeze.

You are all heart, man. ALL heart.....

Heart has absolutely nothing to do with it. I think with logic; you think with your emotions. That's what makes me more intelligent than you. A nation with a $14 trillion credit card bill can't afford to pay peoples' heating bills for them.

BTW, that little video you have in your sig is really slowing down the page and making the site stutter. If you could, pleae change it or I will be forced to put you on ignore to restore the system.

It doesn't slow mine down. Maybe you have a shitty computer or bad Internet. Why the hell would I care if you put me on ignore? That's certainly your privilege.

Israel and Egypt aid we should cut, heating home aid, no damn way, I'm not for letting anyone, including my worst enemies, freeze during one of the coldest winters

You aren't letting them freeze. They are letting themselves freeze.

Dude shut the hell, why must you retarded far rightwingers always demonize those who need aid as people who self victimize themselves purposely looking for hand outs?

Because most of them are where they are due to their own actions. For those that aren't, that's what private charity is for. As I noted in the previous post, a nation with a $14 trillion credit card bill can't afford to pay peoples' heating bills.

Expenditures we can no longer afford

I'm not surprised. I still have yet to see the Congress become serious about our government living within its means.

I don't give a damn, cut the AID to Egypt and Israel and preserve money so that our people don't damn freeze, a deficit is no reason to try to justify letting people freeze.

Yeah, it is a reason and as I noted before, nobody is making them freeze but themselves. You can cut all the foreign aid it will make barely a dent in the deficit. That's how bad our fiscal situation has become. Why can't you live in the real world?

I made a proposition, cut aid to Egypt and Israel

Which still won't give us the money to pay for peoples' heating bills.

you nutters really think letting people suffer for the better

I'm not letting anybody suffer. It's not my fault if they aren't competent enough people to pay their bills.

is ok, how about if you damn boss cut your pay check to such an extent that you can't pay your bills just so that the company can save money, would you agree with that?

I'd just go out and get another job. See how simple it is?

Your example is irrelevant though, because these people aren't getting a paycheck and they aren't having anything cut or taken away because the hand out doesn't belong to them in the first place.

Plenty, eh? IF there were plenty, and by plenty, I assume you mean enough to cover everyone in need, then why on earth would our government have created such a program that was not needed?

For the same reason politicians do a lot of other things that aren't needed. To bribe people into voting for them.

Furthermore, if our government was spending less money we would all have lower tax rates and charitable contributions would then increase.

Dude shut the hell, why must you retarded far rightwingers always demonize those who need aid as people who self victimize themselves purposely looking for hand outs? Seriously, how many of those people do you actually know or do you make it your every intention to parrot the retarded far right in the GOP?

Why do you on the left keep creating situations where people end up needing aid? Do you make it your every intention to parrot the clueless far left?

Shut the hell up you flaming retard, my stance on this issue has everything to do with my Christian faith and not a damn thing to do with leftwing, liberal politics so kill that damn noise and stop repeating it.

Then find some family and pay their heating bill or the season. Find two and feel good about taking care of their heating bill

Why do you on the left keep creating situations where people end up needing aid? Do you make it your every intention to parrot the clueless far left?

Shut the hell up you flaming retard, my stance on this issue has everything to do with my Christian faith and not a damn thing to do with leftwing, liberal politics so kill that damn noise and stop repeating it.

Then find some family and pay their heating bill or the season. Find two and feel good about taking care of their heating bill

No see, he wants other people to pay the bill. He won't actually cough anything up. Folks like him are such bleeding hearts as long as they don't have to pay for it out of their own pockets.

No see, he wants other people to pay the bill. He won't actually cough anything up. Folks like him are such bleeding hearts as long as they don't have to pay for it out of their own pockets.

;) i know that. They are great spenders of other peoples money.

Forum List

Back