Source Forge Apache OpenOffice Spell-Checker and More. 100% Free.

Tom Sweetnam

Platinum Member
Aug 27, 2014
8000' up in the san juan mountain foothills
One thing I like a lot about USMB is the mutual respect exhibited by most posters for our English language, and its proper use. Thus for those who want to polish their spelling, grammar, and syntax, I'd highly recommend the Apache OpenOffice Suite from Source Forge. It's FREE, 100%, and it's at least as comprehensive as Microsoft's Office Suite which runs several hundred dollars. I've used it for years.

You can download Apache OpenOffice safely (no malware, browser highjackers, or other nefarious crap hidden within), here at the Source Forge web site: www.sourceforge.com There are dozens of other free programs there as well, all malware free, from simple software writing tools to advanced CAD programs and dozens more programs in between. Have a browse around their site.

One thing I like a lot about USMB is the mutual respect exhibited by most posters for our English language, and its proper use. Thus for those who want to polish their spelling, grammar, and syntax, I'd highly recommend the Apache OpenOffice Suite from Source Forge. It's FREE, 100%, and it's at least as comprehensive as Microsoft's Office Suite which runs several hundred dollars. I've used it for years.

You can download Apache OpenOffice safely (no malware, browser highjackers, or other nefarious crap hidden within), here at the Source Forge web site: www.sourceforge.com There are dozens of other free programs there as well, all malware free, from simple software writing tools to advanced CAD programs and dozens more programs in between. Have a browse around their site.

Seconded. I've been using OO for years too. And for those still enslaved to Microslush Orifice, it saves in that format for them.

Anything that undercuts Microslush's bullshit and renders it superfluous, I'm in favor of it. :thup:

Seconded. I've been using OO for years too. And for those still enslaved to Microslush Orifice, it saves in that format for them.

Anything that undercuts Microslush's bullshit and renders it superfluous, I'm in favor of it. :thup:

Love OO. Anything that is free and works with good support is a no brainer.

When I got my new PC with Windows 8.1, my OpenOffice spellchecker suddenly quit working properly. Not only the spellcheck but grammar check. Deleted and re-uploaded several times. Went to the site's forum and nobody could or would give me an answer to correct it.

So, I returned to a word processor I have but had left for OO - LibreOffice

It is awesome for my use as a writer/athor

At the very bottom is a bar that shows page1/3-5-100, number of words and characters, Default Style/ and English(USA) Also gives me easy ways to change entire page formats.

And, when I do a Find - another little bar opens where I type in what I'm searching for it and shows up on the page without being obscured by a window in the middle of my document.

The spell/grammar check is almost as good as MSWord and quite good at punctuation.

It too is a free download and their discussion forum is extremely helpful.

Just my opinion.

When I got my new PC with Windows 8.1, my OpenOffice spellchecker suddenly quit working properly. Not only the spellcheck but grammar check. Deleted and re-uploaded several times. Went to the site's forum and nobody could or would give me an answer to correct it.

At the very bottom is a bar that shows page1/3-5-100, number of words and characters, Default Style/ and English(USA) Also gives me easy ways to change entire page formats.

And, when I do a Find - another little bar opens where I type in what I'm searching for it and shows up on the page without being obscured by a window in the middle of my document.

The spell/grammar check is almost as good as MSWord and quite good at punctuation.

Just my opinion.
Heard of Libre but never used it. If you write ebooks you may want to checkout Calibre.

Just my opinion.
Heard of Libre but never used it. If you write ebooks you may want to checkout Calibre.

Thanks. I've used MobiPocket and it works quite well.

I've been using Linux for a few years and every distro has LibreOffice. It was forked from Open Office, does everything I've wanted, including invoicing. Actually it does a lot more than I want, I only scratch the surface.

I'm a bit surprised more people aren't using open source stuff, these days there are a lot of very good programs. Krita even puts Photoshop to shame in some areas.

I've been using Linux for a few years and every distro has LibreOffice. It was forked from Open Office, does everything I've wanted, including invoicing. Actually it does a lot more than I want, I only scratch the surface.

I'm a bit surprised more people aren't using open source stuff, these days there are a lot of very good programs. Krita even puts Photoshop to shame in some areas.
I call it Iphoneitis. People go with whats marketed not with what works best.

Some open source is good...some not so good. The biggest fallback for any open source program is documentation for the laymen.

One example, Gimp...a great image editor...but there is a learning curve because the lack of user friendly documentation...especially if one is unfamiliar with image editing software.

Explain Krita to me. I have Gimp and a couple of others that I can't make head nor tails of. I need something to do book or story covers. I've just finished a western short story and don't want to submit it without a couple of cover ideas.

Some open source is good...some not so good. The biggest fallback for any open source program is documentation for the laymen.

One example, Gimp...a great image editor...but there is a learning curve because the lack of user friendly documentation...especially if one is unfamiliar with image editing software.
To make it short, LibreOffice has some awesome documentation on its site with just about everything you need to make it work for you.

Explain Krita to me. I have Gimp and a couple of others that I can't make head nor tails of. I need something to do book or story covers. I've just finished a western short story and don't want to submit it without a couple of cover ideas.
They are different programs with some overlap but GIMP is primarily for photo editing. Krita is a paint program. I do digital painting and was using MyPaint, which is very good but does little besides painting. I needed GIMP for resizing or manipulating the images.

I started painting with GIMP but one of the big advantages MyPaint and Krita have is canvas rotation. You can spin your drawing around for natural hand movements but it doesn't alter the image. With GIMP you would have to rotate the image so you'll lose data over time as pixels are being rewritten, plus the time lag.

Krita is very powerful and I haven't opened GIMP since using it. The brushes are more lifelike and very adjustable.

GIMP has many more options for image editing though. And a much bigger community following, lots of good tutorials on it.

Gimp is good for creating graphics for web design, manipulating photos and such, it isn't an art program where you can easily create detailed art. There are some great scripts in Gimp that allow you to create some pretty cool effects to text or images without being an artist. It just takes practice and a lot of the tutorials...but if you are not familiar with the lingo or photoshop..it can seem overwhelming. You have to be familiar with layering to get the most out of it...but once you learn...it is an amazing program.

Iceweasel Are you an artist...Can you create logos. Do you do side work? PM me.

Forum List

Back