Sophia

What if a psychopath who wants to take over the world tweaks the robot's programming, gives it a virus or something? What if the robots get a virus? No way is any robot being invited over my house for dinner!

Now, now, I'm sure that the same science that gave us WMD's and the ability to use fossil fuels that produce global warming have all this figured out.

Just have a little faith.....................

Asimov came up with the laws for robots, to be built into the computer system.

"A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law."

The coolest part is that he wrote those laws in a short story in the 1940s. They have been the basis for laws for robots in scifi ever since. On Star Trek, Data had these laws programmed in.

But what if their "intelligence" concludes that obeying those laws is detrimental to humans?

The First Law is hardwired into all programming and cannot be overridden.

But AI is not about a program, it's about evolving intelligence, is it not?

Yes it is. It is the ability to learn based on experience. But certain restrictions can be put in the programming that cannot be changed.

So let's assume for a second that a droid would function how they are programmed, which I'm not sold on. I can't even get my PC to always function the way it is suppose to function.

What about hacking?

Use the First Law as a subroutine in the startup/shutdown process. If that law is blanked out, the machine shuts down immediately and cannot be restarted.

As for hacking, with the right programming hardwired in, it would be easier to build a robot without the laws. And that could be done now. YOu can buy drones that allow you to program a route for it to fly. Program it to fly into a crowd and strap a pound of C4 and some shrapnel on it.

What if a psychopath who wants to take over the world tweaks the robot's programming, gives it a virus or something? What if the robots get a virus? No way is any robot being invited over my house for dinner!

Now, now, I'm sure that the same science that gave us WMD's and the ability to use fossil fuels that produce global warming have all this figured out.

Psychopaths have been killing large numbers of people for centuries. The technology is already here for one to do it now. A dirty bomb on a drone would be a nightmare.

hmm, seems you dont process things correctly.

For instance, the same folks that created WMDs are not the same folks that created fossil fuels.

I mean, they likely havent even met or read the same books.

You process things cognitively - as a collectivist.

83p1u.jpg

We haven't even been able to figure out how to make a computer that functions the way it should 100% of the time.
Thats not true.

Most computers function as they should, except outside factors such as ads, malware, new programming, etc. cannot be 100% predicted or integrated. In physics, its like the theory of everything. It hasnt been worked out, yet. Same with the "computer code for everything."

Ive never had a calculator tell me the wrong response to an equation. That is a computer.

We haven't even been able to figure out how to make a computer that functions the way it should 100% of the time.
Thats not true.

Most computers function as they should, except outside factors such as ads, malware, new programming, etc. cannot be 100% predicted or integrated. In physics, its like the theory of everything. It hasnt been worked out, yet. Same with the "computer code for everything."

Ive never had a calculator tell me the wrong response to an equation. That is a computer.

They break. They are far from "perfect."

Does it matter if the robot is considered a male or female (it is really neither - it is a machine). It wouldn't have any of the weaknesses or strengths that are inherent in a human being.

Thats not true.

They break. They are far from "perfect."
they break b.c. elements arent indestructable...they function as they should, however

Just think of how dangerous this kind of technology will be when it falls into the wrong hands. They could create armies of fighting robots.
do you think a drone isnt a fighting robot because we didnt give it human facial features and such?

how about a sattellite guided missile ~¿

Resistance is futile!

Yes, eventually.

But the advantages far outweigh the dangers. Think of the number of dangerous jobs that could no longer require humans. Think of the amount of lowly service jobs that do not pay enough to live on, being handled by robots instead.

Theyre about ten years away from making chips with the processing power of our current cell phones small enough to fit into our blood streams.

We are going to all eventually have teams of microscopic doctors inside of us fixing us every second something is out of balance.

They can already download photographs from a brain, literally, and print them out.

Bio-robots is what humans are going to literallt be, in the future, and our lifespans will be as long as we can last without evergy and resources running out, natural disasters or accidents.

We will be close to immortal within 150 years from right now.

Once Pandora's box has been opened . . . you can't take it back. Lots of things that have been created for good have been used to commit evil. Don't fool yourself into thinking this technology would be flawless and only be used for good purposes.

Thats not true.

So what if robots do function they way they should and humans begin to program them to "control" us in various ways, unbeknownst to us?

Forum List

Back