Something else to think about before you cheer on or beg for more war

I was under the impression that Bin Laden was Saudi. Why didn't we attack Saudi Arabia as well as Afghanistan?

We had options other than eleven years of pointless combat.

And Adolf was Austrian, NOT German. Why didn't we invade Austria first??? Really??? Seriously???

Osama was in Afghanistan at the invite of the Taliban. They had him holed up there until we invaded and he moved to Tora Bora. They KNEW of the attacks and supported his "war" on the US.

Wow... that was a disappointing statement.

I admire determination, but eleven years into it we've done nothing except waste our money and our kids' lives. We've also managed to further destabilize the ME.

Tora Bora is in Afghanistan the last time I looked.

So invading Saudi Arabia would have been better? how?:confused:

And Adolf was Austrian, NOT German. Why didn't we invade Austria first??? Really??? Seriously???

Osama was in Afghanistan at the invite of the Taliban. They had him holed up there until we invaded and he moved to Tora Bora. They KNEW of the attacks and supported his "war" on the US.

Wow... that was a disappointing statement.

I admire determination, but eleven years into it we've done nothing except waste our money and our kids' lives. We've also managed to further destabilize the ME.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean we should have invaded SA.

In my opinion, we should have used intel and small specops units to hunt down Obama and kill him and his cohorts wherever they were, including SA. We never should have escalated in Afghanistan and we never should have invaded Iraq.

Iraq is this generation's Viet Nam.

In my opinion, we should have used intel and small specops units to hunt down Obama and kill him and his cohorts wherever they were, including SA. We never should have escalated in Afghanistan and we never should have invaded Iraq.

Hindsight is great isn't it?

Well I agreed with going into Afghanistan, I disagree with the way the war was handled however, the war in Afghanistan was under funded, under manned and just plaine mishandled for years which allowed the Taliban to come back to life in 2005 when they we should have fucking finished them, now its too late, the Taliban are stronger, more confident, more monied and more organized than ever.

I've held this position since before we invaded Iraq.

Well I agreed with going into Afghanistan, I disagree with the way the war was handled however, the war in Afghanistan was under funded, under manned and just plaine mishandled for years which allowed the Taliban to come back to life in 2005 when they we should have fucking finished them, now its too late, the Taliban are stronger, more confident, more monied and more organized than ever.

Throughout history, no one has succeeded in subduing the Afghans, and it was stupid to think we'd be any different than the Soviets, Brits, Moghuls, Macedonians and Mongols.

Throughout history, no one has succeeded in subduing the Afghans, and it was stupid to think we'd be any different than the Soviets, Brits, Moghuls, Macedonians and Mongols.

Well I am not really too much concerned with "subduing" the Afghans but after 9/11 we had no choice but to obliterate Al Qaeda and anyone helping them, including the Taliban, we totally got off course from that goal to fighting drugs in Afghanistan, nation building etc etc

Well I am not really too much concerned with "subduing" the Afghans but after 9/11 we had no choice but to obliterate Al Qaeda and anyone helping them, including the Taliban, we totally got off course from that goal to fighting drugs in Afghanistan, nation building etc etc

That's exactly my point.

If you were president that would matter.

Strawman.
No one begs for war.
Pick your own verbage then reply I guess.
Wants war.
Demands war.
You pick, it all means the same.
Maybe to you. For those who understand that words have meanings, not so much.
War- that is, politics by other means - is, on occasion, a necessary evil. No one wants to go to war; recognizing its necesseity and acting upon it is different from 'wanting' it.

Strawman.
No one begs for war.
Pick your own verbage then reply I guess.
Wants war.
Demands war.
You pick, it all means the same.
Maybe to you. For those who understand that words have meanings, not so much.
War- that is, politics by other means - is, on occasion, a necessary evil. No one wants to go to war; recognizing its necesseity and acting upon it is different from 'wanting' it.

Agree to disagree, I certainly hear all kinds of voters, politicians, pundits who want more war.

The "well i don't want war but we should go to war" is just a b-s cover yourself kind of thing.

I think it's a valid point. If you didn't think about this scenario before we started deployments in that region you were using some heavily tinted glasses.

Of course many comments have been rather knee-jerk in trying to deflect some blame, which by this point is irrelevant, the damage is done.

We could withdraw significantly, or as High Gravity said we could increase the size of the military to avoid reusing troops over and over...which leads us back to arguing the premise of whether we need to be there or not.

I'm all set with that argument, too much dis/misinformation.

Yea, cuz there are lots of posters 'cheering on' and 'begging' for more war. In your dreams.

All I heard democrats do was speak glowingly about escalating warmongering in Afghanistan, they also loved the warmongering in Libya.

Same goes for republicans with regards to Iraq and the idea of War with Iran.

All the while both sides pretend, with all their might, that they love soldiers.

(All) Democrats "speak glowingly about escalation warmongering in Afghanistan" may simply be hyperbole, or political posturing, it isn't a fact or even close to being factual.

There is an element of pols who want to wage war against Iran, and I have no doubt - though no proof - the neoconservatives silently hope for a "Gulf of Tonkin" event to wage war against Iran.

Obama, as he promised, ended the fiasco in Iraq, why he doubled down in Afghanistan is disturbing but the 'action' taken in Libya was measured, didn't cost the life of any American personnel and was successfully completed. Now it's up to the people of Libya; Obama will be blamed if Libya becomes an Islamic Theocracy but not for engaging in nation building. Others want Obama to take action in Syria; D's or R's is anyones guess, I don't keep count.

Our nation has on one business for being in the Middle East and that is the oil business. If Republicans would stfu and put country first they would support green and renewable R&D and if the Obama Administration expanded the R&D of unclear (maybe they have, anyone know?) reactors America could once again be a world leader for peace.

If you were president that would matter.

If you have a point, you've done an excellent job hiding it.

Since you weren't here before the war its kinda impossible to call your bluff. I'm sure their were anti war Americans right after 9/11 but i never met one nor heard from and aside from a very small minority in DC. Obama claimed he would stop the wars but then he expanded them and doubled down on others.

Point being he has information we don't. Hence if you were president your opinion and claims would matter.

Other than that I'm just tired and hungry so I'm not making a lot of sense. My ex is hospitalized right now so sleep and food are rare.

There were many that were screaming at the tops of their lungs to not go into Iraq, you just couldn't hear them over the USA-themed country songs that were all the rage at the time.

Yea, cuz there are lots of posters 'cheering on' and 'begging' for more war. In your dreams.

All I heard democrats do was speak glowingly about escalating warmongering in Afghanistan, they also loved the warmongering in Libya.

Same goes for republicans with regards to Iraq and the idea of War with Iran.

All the while both sides pretend, with all their might, that they love soldiers.

(All) Democrats "speak glowingly about escalation warmongering in Afghanistan" may simply be hyperbole, or political posturing, it isn't a fact or even close to being factual.

There is an element of pols who want to wage war against Iran, and I have no doubt - though no proof - the neoconservatives silently hope for a "Gulf of Tonkin" event to wage war against Iran.

Obama, as he promised, ended the fiasco in Iraq, why he doubled down in Afghanistan is disturbing but the 'action' taken in Libya was measured, didn't cost the life of any American personnel and was successfully completed. Now it's up to the people of Libya; Obama will be blamed if Libya becomes an Islamic Theocracy but not for engaging in nation building. Others want Obama to take action in Syria; D's or R's is anyones guess, I don't keep count.

Our nation has on one business for being in the Middle East and that is the oil business. If Republicans would stfu and put country first they would support green and renewable R&D and if the Obama Administration expanded the R&D of unclear (maybe they have, anyone know?) reactors America could once again be a world leader for peace.

Some good stuff in there, but then at the end you again deflect all blame from Obama for HIS continuing and escalating the generic "War on Terror."

Obama didn't have to escalate the warmongering in Afhganistan, he didn't have to waste american taxpayer dollars waging war in Libya, he doesn't have to keep escalating the "War on Terror." No republican made him do any of those things, he deserves the blame.

Forum List

Back