Some hope that our President could extend his term!

Firesign Theater. The continuing adventures of Nick Danger!

LMAO!

"My secretary lay snoring on the floor - her beautiful gams pinioned under the couch. I sat, listening to the staccatto of rain on my desk-top, and reading my name on the plate glass door: regnaD kciN".

I busted a gut laughing at that stuff!

I think one thing which is really revealing is, why did he sign this executive order, when he already had emergency powers to begin with. The only difference is, this new directive eliminates congressional oversight. Sort of like the wiretaps thing--it was already quite easy to get a secret warrant for a wiretap, but even that was brushed aside.

Another thing conservatives need to remember: Bush may never exercise these new powers. But eventually we will have a democratic president, and you may not like what he does with those powers. Honestly, if Clinton had made a power grab this bold ten years ago, conservatives would have been up in arms (and in all fairness, there's quite a few liberals who would have had no problems with it).

Conservatives should also bear in mind that once a government grants itself a given power, that power inevitably gets used, for good or ill. In this case, only ill can come of it.

This "power" only applies in the most egregious of conditions.. which could be why Congress doesn't oppose it. In order for it to be used the Country would have to be in chaos across the breadth of the nation. As long as Congress still functions the check would be that they could simply vote down the Presidential decree.

Executive orders only exist so long as the President wants them to, a New president can and does change old executive orders.

But do go on about how Bush, the evil mad Idiot-savant is going to seize power by forcing a Nuclear war or getting Mother nature to do " the day after" on us.

This "power" only applies in the most egregious of conditions.. which could be why Congress doesn't oppose it. In order for it to be used the Country would have to be in chaos across the breadth of the nation. As long as Congress still functions the check would be that they could simply vote down the Presidential decree.

Executive orders only exist so long as the President wants them to, a New president can and does change old executive orders.

But do go on about how Bush, the evil mad Idiot-savant is going to seize power by forcing a Nuclear war or getting Mother nature to do " the day after" on us.

there is no clear definition of what precise circumstance is a national disaster.

previous to this executive order, Congress determined the national disaster and had a voice and a say in it...

this executive order says that the president can decide on what the emergency is...without any consultation with congress the president can take over and rule ALL State Governments, ALL private businesses, ALL tribal regions etc, WITHOUT Congress for goodness sakes!

using a person that the president has appointed in homeland security WITHOUT the consent of the senate (our representation) required, making ALL the decisions for our country!

in addition, this executive order that gives the ptresident dictorial powers HAS NO END to it.... there are no provisions in it that ''time limit'' it....which is a HUGE problem!

please, please, please write to your representatives and demand they at least look in to this executive order and its constitutionality of it!

care

Histeria for no reason. Unless the Military backs him, unless he arrests and detains Congress, the ONLY way this can occur is if an unimaginable event occurs, a massive Nuclear war or " the day after" type of Natural disaster.

You people are loony toons. Your unreasoning blind hatred and idiotic insistance that Bush is going to seize power prove it. Again I ask, why, if he has all this power and desire was there even an election in 2004? Ohh wait, I remember, the evil cabal of Republican right wingers "fixed" the election. And of course Bush "stole" the 2000 election...

You people would be a laugh riot if you weren't so crazy. And of course one must ask, if those evil Republicans actually rigged the 2004 election, what happened in 2006? I guess they just "forgot" to use those secret programs to ensure Republicans controlled congress with total power?

Go see a doctor, you need help.

During the six years I lived in Latin America, I saw two democratically elected governments overthrown during revolutions. While I think it's far less likely to happen here, I harbor no illusions that it could never happen.

What's disturbing about this latest directive is that, unless I've missed something, it does not outline the conditions that would mandate a return of powers to normal conditions. Given Bush's "my way or the highway" attitude throughout his presidency, I believe he's the type of person who would seize power if the opportunity presented itself, and would not give it up without a fight.

During the six years I lived in Latin America, I saw two democratically elected governments overthrown during revolutions. While I think it's far less likely to happen here, I harbor no illusions that it could never happen.

What's disturbing about this latest directive is that, unless I've missed something, it does not outline the conditions that would mandate a return of powers to normal conditions. Given Bush's "my way or the highway" attitude throughout his presidency, I believe he's the type of person who would seize power if the opportunity presented itself, and would not give it up without a fight.

While I don't agree with your assessment of the President and/or what he might do, I DO agree there is too much potential for abuse with this.

This place has its IQ level jump when he leaves .

Please dont entice him back.

Histeria for no reason. Unless the Military backs him, unless he arrests and detains Congress, the ONLY way this can occur is if an unimaginable event occurs, a massive Nuclear war or " the day after" type of Natural disaster.

You people are loony toons. Your unreasoning blind hatred and idiotic insistance that Bush is going to seize power prove it. Again I ask, why, if he has all this power and desire was there even an election in 2004? Ohh wait, I remember, the evil cabal of Republican right wingers "fixed" the election. And of course Bush "stole" the 2000 election...

You people would be a laugh riot if you weren't so crazy. And of course one must ask, if those evil Republicans actually rigged the 2004 election, what happened in 2006? I guess they just "forgot" to use those secret programs to ensure Republicans controlled congress with total power?

Go see a doctor, you need help.

here's my answer to your hysteria and rant.... :)

there is no clear definition of what precise circumstance is a national disaster.

previous to this executive order, Congress determined the national disaster and had a voice and a say in it...

this executive order says that the president can decide on what the emergency is...without any consultation with congress the president can take over and rule ALL State Governments, ALL private businesses, ALL tribal regions etc, WITHOUT Congress for goodness sakes!

using a person that the president has appointed in homeland security WITHOUT the consent of the senate (our representation) required, making ALL the decisions for our country!

in addition, this executive order that gives the ptresident dictorial powers HAS NO END to it.... there are no provisions in it that ''time limit'' it....which is a HUGE problem!

Ret Sgt,

With a few things fixed and changed in this executive order, like the ones I mentioned above, involving congress and giving an end date scenario and defining the natural disaster circumstance better, then I would be FINE with this....and believe it would or could be constitutional... at this point, I believe IT IS NOT.

This should matter to every citizen. The next president would be given the same unrestricted power and all other presidents thereafter unless Congress does something, now.

Please call your congressmen and ask them to look in to this or give an explanation that meets constitutionality.

Why is that so difficult for you and why are you fighting this....? I don't get it?

Care

Of course you don't. You also don't understand how our Government works. Presidential Directives do NOT bind Congress and only apply to those areas that the Executive has authority over. The President can not simply disband nor ignore Congress, well not without the support of the military anyway.

Ever read "7 days in May" or see the 2 movies made from it?

The Marine Col ( or Air Force, depending on story) does EXACTLY the right thing in that story line.

Curt Douglas Starred in first one and Forrest Whitaker in the newest one.

Oh well, if that's how it went in the movies, what a relief!

Everybody back to bed.

I see, not only have no "liberals" called BULLSHIT on the Nuclear war to take over the country scheme, we have more posting they believe Bush DOES intend to do JUST that.

And you people wonder WHY Conservatives and moderates alike wonder about your intentions and your sanity.

I wonder why Bush didn't just TAKE OVER before the 2004 election, I mean why risk an election when you people INSIST he intends to be dictator?

You all are DAMN LOONY TOONS. Irrational hatred for no reason. I would suggest you get help but I doubt you would seek any.

Very few people would EVER support a take over, or extention, or delay of a National election. The Military wouldn't stand for it, Congress wouldn't stand for it, Republican right wing Neo Cons wouldn't stand for it, Only the extreme fringe would ever support something like that. It simply is not going to happen.

Claiming you support the Constitution and then going on a moronic rant with NO basis in fact about a serving President is rich indeed, I would laugh if it weren't so serious.

Then there is care, the " I am a moderate"... lets see, she believes Bush planned and executed 9/11 ( why else refer to him knowing of another "attack") or that he allowed it to happen, she believes he would use any pretext to declare himself Dictator, yup those are sure mainstream moderate views....

Maineman, have you no opinion? Here are your cohorts making ludicrous claims and your silent on the matter. Any ally is acceptable? As long as they vote for the people you support? Where are the rest of the Liberals? Talk about Red State Rules AVOIDING a thread....

The Republicans already PUBLICLY kicked the right wing loons to the CURB, you all not only won't do the same for the left wing fringe, you tacitly support them with your blaring SILENCE.

What I really love is the constant refrain that Bush is right wing.... He is NOT a right winger.... Never has been and probably never will be.

The SILENCE pretty much says it all......

When the President of the United States receives a warning stating "OBL determined to strike within the United States" and does absolutely nothing in response, the idea that he "let it happen" is far from ludicrous.

Of course you don't. You also don't understand how our Government works. Presidential Directives do NOT bind Congress and only apply to those areas that the Executive has authority over. The President can not simply disband nor ignore Congress, well not without the support of the military anyway.
why over 800 executive signing orders from this president? what's the purpose of president bush's executive orders that state he overrides congress and their legislation? why's he using them excessively then? do you know?

care

the signing statements are illegal in my mind.

You cant sign a bill and then write below it "I onlly have to apply this law if I feel like it".

the signing statements are illegal in my mind.

You cant sign a bill and then write below it "I onlly have to apply this law if I feel like it".

You and care need to take a few classes on how the Government works, There are usually classes at any Community College.

The Executive branch can not ignore the legislative Branch. The President can not violate the laws he has signed or allowed to become just that, laws.

We must assume that every democratic president before now ALSO had the intent to violate the law, since they ALL had executive signings and edicts.

You two are either misinformed or delusional on how our Government works.

You and care need to take a few classes on how the Government works, There are usually classes at any Community College.

The Executive branch can not ignore the legislative Branch. The President can not violate the laws he has signed or allowed to become just that, laws.

We must assume that every democratic president before now ALSO had the intent to violate the law, since they ALL had executive signings and edicts.

You two are either misinformed or delusional on how our Government works.

President bush has 700% more signing orders than other presidents sgt.

Have you answered why yet? 700 or more times this president has issued a directive that has said that he disagrees with the law and how Congress interprets it and DOES NOT have to follow it...because he says so.

I am not comfortable with this and ESPECIALLY not comfortable with our pressent president issuing these kind of orders because he and "his ilk" are power hungry and he is usurping the congress and we the people... and too many issues already as far as I am concerned have shown this arrogance surrounding his imagined, blown way out of proportion or balance, his presidential power..

It is you, I am afraid ret sgt, that needs to do some studying and reading on this....

but YES, I agree with you that the president DOES NOT have this kind of power and that the Congress is not below the president's power, but our president doesn't believe such, otherwise he would not have been so bold and arrogant to issue all of the executive orders outside of the legislation.

Care

Forum List

Back