Solving The Great Honeybee Killer Mystery

Discussion in 'Environment' started by boedicca, Oct 7, 2010.

1. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,717
    Interesting development in the quest to identify what is killing off colonies of honeybees. It's not pesticides or GMO foods. The likely culprits are a fungus and a virus.

It has been one of the great murder mysteries of the garden: what is killing off the honeybees?

Since 2006, 20 to 40 percent of the bee colonies in the United States alone have suffered “colony collapse.” Suspected culprits ranged from pesticides to genetically modified food.

Now, a unique partnership — of military scientists and entomologists — appears to have achieved a major breakthrough: identifying a new suspect, or two.

A fungus tag-teaming with a virus have apparently interacted to cause the problem, according to a paper by Army scientists in Maryland and bee experts in Montana in the online science journal PLoS One.

Exactly how that combination kills bees remains uncertain, the scientists said — a subject for the next round of research. But there are solid clues: both the virus and the fungus proliferate in cool, damp weather, and both do their dirty work in the bee gut, suggesting that insect nutrition is somehow compromised.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/07/science/07bees.html?_r=2&src=ISMR_AP_LO_MST_FB

2. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    Good. I am happy that they are working on finding out what the problem with the bees are.

3. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Reminds me of a poem my Mom used to tell us to get us to eat our vegetables....

I eat my peas with honey
    I've done it all my life
    It makes them taste kind of funny
    But it keeps them on my knife.

4. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    [​IMG]