Solar Power Much Cheaper to Produce Than Most Analysts Realize, Study Finds

Fucking bullshit. Most solar is gaurenteed for 20 years. Many older panels are still putting out juice, albeit at a lower rate than new.

A coal fired plant is only good for about 20 years before it has to be completely rebuilt. And it is far easier to rebuilt a wind turbine than a coal fired plant.

It is so strange that all these 'Conservatives' are so against anything that would make an individual independent of corperations for their own energy to power their home and vehicle. Against wind power in any form, against solar in any form, against the idea of an EV. They seem to like to be at the mercy of autocratic corperations, and just beg to be allowed to pay more each year for the energy neccessary for the life style that we enjoy. Stange, strange people.

It takes that long to break even Old Rocks. Even at that is is only providing partial power to me. The technology simply is not advanced enough to use in my area.

Now your clearly wrong. A coal plant lasts for far longer than 20 years. We have one about 12 miles from here. I was on a city council board that was responsible for a portion of that plant for six years.

I didn't say I was against alternate energy sources. I'm against supporting them for over 20 years and still they are not commerically viable.

Fucking bullshit. Most solar is gaurenteed for 20 years. Many older panels are still putting out juice, albeit at a lower rate than new.

A coal fired plant is only good for about 20 years before it has to be completely rebuilt. And it is far easier to rebuilt a wind turbine than a coal fired plant.

It is so strange that all these 'Conservatives' are so against anything that would make an individual independent of corperations for their own energy to power their home and vehicle. Against wind power in any form, against solar in any form, against the idea of an EV. They seem to like to be at the mercy of autocratic corperations, and just beg to be allowed to pay more each year for the energy neccessary for the life style that we enjoy. Stange, strange people.

You want to get off the grid? Fine. Go for it.

But don't insist that I help you pay for it.

Did I say off the grid? Show me where I said that.

No, a person can be connected to the grid and be producing more power than they use. And, come the end of the year, get a nice little check in the mail from the utility company. Part of which people like you will, indeed, pay for.

It takes that long to break even Old Rocks. Even at that is is only providing partial power to me. The technology simply is not advanced enough to use in my area.

Now your clearly wrong. A coal plant lasts for far longer than 20 years. We have one about 12 miles from here. I was on a city council board that was responsible for a portion of that plant for six years.

I didn't say I was against alternate energy sources. I'm against supporting them for over 20 years and still they are not commerically viable.

But you don't mind the subsidies that the government has given the energy companies for triple that time?

I did not say a coal plant only lasted 20 years. I said it had to be rebuilt in about that time. Just as the turbine on the windmills are planned for replace and rebuilding in about the same time frame.

But you don't mind the subsidies that the government has given the energy companies for triple that time?

I did not say a coal plant only lasted 20 years. I said it had to be rebuilt in about that time. Just as the turbine on the windmills are planned for replace and rebuilding in about the same time frame.

Our plant is a municipally owned power plant. It seems to be self sustaining without large increases in power costs. We are diversifying with a new gas fired plant in Ohio as an additional power source. The government gives us no subsidy at all. Solar and wind do not appear to to be commerically viable except in limited areas at this time. So why do we let government pay to install them in areas unsuited to current technology?

No, a person can be connected to the grid and be producing more power than they use. And, come the end of the year, get a nice little check in the mail from the utility company. Part of which people like you will, indeed, pay for.
More rosy scenarios from the Unicorns and Rainbows crowd.

Can you find me a regular guy who's installed solar and is selling power back to the utility company?

Oh, and just so's you know, you're paying for the military. Suck it.

Our plant is a municipally owned power plant. It seems to be self sustaining without large increases in power costs. We are diversifying with a new gas fired plant in Ohio as an additional power source. The government gives us no subsidy at all. Solar and wind do not appear to to be commerically viable except in limited areas at this time. So why do we let government pay to install them in areas unsuited to current technology?
So the watermelons keep voting Dem. That's all.

The cells being developed by teams from the University of Arkansas and Arkansas State University have the potential to achieve a light-to-energy conversion rate, or solar efficiency, of 40 percent or better, according to the researchers.

The photovoltaic cells are intended for use in satellites and space instruments. Currently, the silicon-based solar cells that NASA uses in its satellites and instruments have efficiencies of only up to 23 percent, according to NASA statistics.

Solar cell breakthrough could hit 40 percent efficiency | Green Tech - CNET News

Solar technology charges forward despite Washington's backward march.

5 breakthroughs that will make solar power cheaper than coal | MNN

How many of those "lying, ignorant" scientists got that "awful" American education?

Can you find me a regular guy who's installed solar and is selling power back to the utility company?

I know a few. But they aren't American and they live in Germany.

If we listened to conservatives, we would be rubbing two sticks together to start a fire. They only have faith in mysticism and none in science.

CSI CS6P-235PX 235W Solar Panel

Panels for under $1.50 a watt. About 20 sq ft per panel, so a 24 panel installation, $7200, would give you an installation of 5 kw, covering 480 sq ft. Hardly a football field, and would handily power a normal home.

As usual, Whitey, you are full of shit.

5kw would not power a normal home. 5kw wouldn't even run the dishwasher and hot water heater at the same time.

I'm not against solar as an idea, I'm against your assertion that it's actually viable. It's not, yet. If solar is so great, why don't you actually use it to power your home?

Then why don't you do that?

If we listened to conservatives, we would be rubbing two sticks together to start a fire. They only have faith in mysticism and none in science.

That's complete bullshit, but that's why you don't use solar for anything. I use it for some stuff, it just isn't viable as a replacement for coal and natural gas yet.

Panels for under $1.50 a watt. About 20 sq ft per panel, so a 24 panel installation, $7200, would give you an installation of 5 kw, covering 480 sq ft. Hardly a football field, and would handily power a normal home.

5kw would not power a normal home. 5kw wouldn't even run the dishwasher and hot water heater at the same time.

I just paid my electric bill a week ago. Let me go retrieve it from the file.

<wallks over to filing cabinet>

Okay, so I averaged 17kw per day, which is a light month. July-August billing cycle it was 47kw per day. Since you have to have power for your highest use month, it looks like you need a system 10 times what you stated Old Rocks. $72,000 plus a 4,800 sq. ft grid.

P.S. looks like I pay about 9 cents a kw.

Last edited:

Okay, so I averaged 17kw per day, which is a light month. July-August billing cycle it was 47kw per day. Since you have to have power for your highest use month, it looks like you need a system 10 times what you stated Old Rocks. $72,000 plus a 4,800 sq. ft grid.

That's the problem with this crop of liberals. They are all talk and no action. They actually think policy should be set based on their theoretical version of how things are for other people. They never actually do it themselves, which is why they still have these views.

The sad part is that they now have one of their own in the White House and as it turns out his theoretical version doesn't bode well for the country. But Old Rocks doesn't care, he's so much smarter, better, and greener because he votes Democrat and lives his nasty polluting lifestyle.

I know a few. But they aren't American and they live in Germany.
Thank you for that meaningless interjection.

Sticks burn at night, too. How much current do you get out of a solar panel at night?

Well, actually, in Spain, they figured out how:

Industria pide a la CNE que adopte las medidas oportunas contra el fraude de la energa solar | elmundo.es
According to government figures, between November and January, midwinter, the electrical system was 4,500 megawatts / hour produced by solar plants between midnight and seven o'clock , plus another 1,500 between 1900 and 2300 hours.

How are these megawatts generated? Early indications, some developers might be using solar powered with diesel generators to generate electricity, because the premiums are from 436 euros a megawatt.​

Sure is a lot of fraud in the green industry. But "it's for the children!!", so that's okay.

Right, derp?

Roxy don't care. It's other people's money he'd be spending.

Forum List

Back