Solar Panels

midrats is a term for a meal before going on watch from midnight to 4 a.m. in the Navy.............for clarification

midrats is a term for a meal before going on watch from midnight to 4 a.m. in the Navy.............for clarification

Midrats start at 2345 and end at 2400. The midwatch also has to eat! Midwatch starts at 0000 and ends 0400.

Midrats start at 2345 and end at 2400. The midwatch also has to eat!
Got out a long time ago..........but I still remember getting the food before going on the watch.......don't know the specific time anymore.................wasn't a big meal back then......enough to keep you going through the night so you can get 2 hours sleep after.........lol

I should be able to electrify my scooter bin (bike trailer) with some PV panels. Anyone have a good source for these, along with needed controller???..

Any pros and cons for the different brands and types,,,etc,, such as monocrystalline,, etc,.

The fact that I can get power, to do what I want and not have to pay for petroleum products makes me happy!! :p:
Wish.com. Best prices I've found.

How much electricity does an American home use? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

How much electricity does an American home use?
In 2015, the average annual electricity consumption for a U.S. residential utility customer was 10,812 kilowatthours (kWh), an average of 901 kWh per month. Louisiana had the highest annual electricity consumption at 15,435 kWh per residential customer, and Hawaii had the lowest at 6,166 kWh per residential customer.

The best solar panels are only 3% efficient when the Sun is shining bright. Use a clamp on ammeter on the legs to your house. P=VA and P is measured in Watts.

Idiot. An easy lie to refute.

2017 Most Efficient Solar Panels on the Market | EnergySage

The High Efficiency Solar Panel Brands
Many consumers and people in the solar industry consider efficiency to be the most important criterion when assessing a solar panel’s quality. While it is an important criteria, its not the only one to consider while you evaluate whether to install a particular solar panel. Solar panel efficiency relates to the ability of the panel to convert energy at a low cost and high supply rate.

The most efficient commercially available solar panels on the market today have efficiency ratings as high as 22.5%, whereas the majority of panels range from 14% to 16% efficiency rating. SunPower panels are known for being the most efficient solar panel brand available on the market. Though they will come with a higher price tag, SunPower will often be the consumer favorite for anyone concerned with efficiency as a primal metric of interest. However, check out Exhibit 1 (below) to learn about all the top brands and the most efficient solar panels you can get your hands on.

How much electricity does a solar panel produce?

Typically, homeowners in the United States use about 900 kWh a month on average. So, take 900 kWh and divide by the amount of kWh one solar panel produces over the course of a month (30kWh), and you get a 30 panel installation. 30 panels x 250 watts per panel equals a 7,500 watt system (7.5kW).

Again though, these are just rough estimates. It’s best to connect with an expert we trust near youwho can appropriately size a system and help take advantage of all the local incentives to get it done right and as affordably as possible.

The AVERAGE HOME would need 7.5 kW system.......If you use just the average power consumption in this country.

So let's look at the cost of a average system from the Old Rocks site.
The Ranch 7.8 kW 30-Panel Astronergy Off-Grid Solar System - Wholesale Solar

Cost of the solar grid........$16,971
Cost of battery bank...........$5,000 to $8,000 off grid
Cost of installation.........?????

So your out of pocket 24 to 26 grand before installation.......for the AVERAGE HOUSE NEEDS.......figure at least 5 Grand for the installation.................

So............let's ball park it a $30,000............

Note this is very low ball figure.......installation of 30 of these panels.......with wiring and conduit would cost more....also note the area needed to install ..........each panel is 65 inches by 39 inches.......roughly 5 by 3 feet................

Give it a lifespan of 15 years even though they say it will last forever...........cost of 2 grand a year......more than likely much more.................

900kwh per month times 12 times 15 equals............162,000 kwh's ..................AVERAGE HOME............divided by the cost comes to 5.4cents per hour.................but only in Utopia........lol

Today the average cost of energy from solar PV in U.S. is reported to be 12.2 cents per kWh, which is about the same as the average retail rate. Those who keep close tabs on electricity prices might think that it is about on par with what they are paying for their own electricity at home.Mar 31, 2016

Given that probably costs more like 40 gand for the install............

Rocks is right that the prices are falling, but there is still a very large upfront cost.......and a very large amount of space needed to install it....................
Annual Electricity Price Comparison by State

my state averages 9.37 cents per kwh........................

Done so to see where we really are with the cost of solar power............fyi
Why such a lie? Here you can get 8,775 watts of panels for $6750.

Buy Solar Panels - Kyocera, Mitsubishi, Sanyo, Sharp, REC Solar and More!s

And why a battery pack off grid? Stay on the grid, sell back the power you don't use, buy a Tesla Powerwall 2 for $5,500, 14 kw/hr of storage. Kind of like having your cake and eating it, too.

I suppose if you have two thumbs, and no brains, you have to have someone do all your installation for you. Really, the only person you should have to hire is a licensed electrician for the final hookups.

Typically, homeowners in the United States use about 900 kWh a month on average. So, take 900 kWh and divide by the amount of kWh one solar panel produces over the course of a month (30kWh), and you get a 30 panel installation. 30 panels x 250 watts per panel equals a 7,500 watt system (7.5kW).

Again though, these are just rough estimates. It’s best to connect with an expert we trust near youwho can appropriately size a system and help take advantage of all the local incentives to get it done right and as affordably as possible.

The AVERAGE HOME would need 7.5 kW system.......If you use just the average power consumption in this country.

So your out of pocket 24 to 26 grand before installation.......for the AVERAGE HOUSE NEEDS.......figure at least 5 Grand for the installation.................

Note this is very low ball figure.......installation of 30 of these panels.......with wiring and conduit would cost more....also note the area needed to install ..........each panel is 65 inches by 39 inches.......roughly 5 by 3 feet................

Give it a lifespan of 15 years even though they say it will last forever...........cost of 2 grand a year......more than likely much more.................

900kwh per month times 12 times 15 equals............162,000 kwh's ..................AVERAGE HOME............divided by the cost comes to 5.4cents per hour.................but only in Utopia........lol

Today the average cost of energy from solar PV in U.S. is reported to be 12.2 cents per kWh, which is about the same as the average retail rate. Those who keep close tabs on electricity prices might think that it is about on par with what they are paying for their own electricity at home.Mar 31, 2016

Rocks is right that the prices are falling, but there is still a very large upfront cost.......and a very large amount of space needed to install it....................

And why a battery pack off grid? Stay on the grid, sell back the power you don't use, buy a Tesla Powerwall 2 for $5,500, 14 kw/hr of storage. Kind of like having your cake and eating it, too.

I suppose if you have two thumbs, and no brains, you have to have someone do all your installation for you. Really, the only person you should have to hire is a licensed electrician for the final hookups.

I don't know where you live , but here in California can't sell back more power than you use.

I went to your site and posted the amounts.................on the why go off grid me and you went round and round over that before.

Depends on the State..............and I stand by the COST IS HIGH UP FRONT PERIOD............

Looked at your site Old Rocks........No mounting brackets or equipment to rectify the panel.s.......Nice try......

Panels by the pallet...........just install with string................LOL

On motorized vehicles, why does everyone focus on 1 single source (Solar) of alternative energy and not the array of easy modifications that can continue to add charge to the battery whether a full electric car or hybrid?
I have some GREAT CREATIVE ideas on various areas of the car that can be used to generate more self sustaining energy.
When you hear them you'll slap your forehead they should be so obvious, but escape people's creativity. However you will not hear the ideas until the car manufacturers show me appropriate compensation.
No more freebies.

Forum List

Back